Gojo Guest House
Ryokufuso(Kyoto)
$278
$133
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe cafe downstairsjapanese styleprivate roomcommon roomshort walkexplore kyotowould definitely stay here againevery morningstayed here for nightstoiletstatamihostelgionwasherbusmapdryer
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Very nice questhouse in kyoto, vegan option available at the cafe downstairs, pure japanese style, excellent to get soak the atmosphere of kyoto for cheap!
Book it !

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank leonardleonardleonar
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I met my daughter, who lives in Kurashiki, here for a weekend of sightseeing in Kyoto. Though I wondered how it would feel to stay there as an older single woman, the staff made me feel welcome and comfortable right away when I arrived before my daughter. We stayed in the female dorm, which was inexpensive, clean and comfortable, and sat late night and mornings in the cafe/downstairs common area talking to staff and other guests. Their honey-butter toast, coffee and juice make a nice breakfast. Once you find Gojo (I took a cab from Kyoto station; the driver got a little lost), the location is perfect for walking/bus/biking throughout the eastern half of the city; we spent a fascinating night walking through Gion and Pontocho spotting maiko and geisha. For this mother/daughter pair, Gojo was a perfect reunion spot.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank nellike
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Hey well gojo was really nice place during my stay, The bike hire and cafe downstairs and free internet all made the stay feel really homely as if you were living in japan going off to do your daily deeds.
I got to admit though i did have a few problems with the stay, I think firstly the location, i was Soooo lost and walking around in the rain in the dark was not fun, I did however see half of gion looking for the place and it is in good proximity to the geisha district just the problem is this is at the far side of town.
Second was the rooms, I stayed in a male dorm but it was kinda crowded it was like tetris trying to fit everyones beds into the room, The problem with this is you would have to tip toe around and over people if you wanted to get up early or come back late, But all the people in my room were ok and quite social so we ended up getting to know eachover so there was no issues.
Thirdly and the thing that kinda bugged me a lil was whether the staff were being genuine or not, The guys were really friendly and gave you advice and were talking as if personal like you were friends, One of the girls seemed abit "not in the mood" and not very patient, However another one was really nice and friendly but most importantly, genuine and happy.
Overall though the place is just what you need for kyoto, A traditional style house, Food and drink in-house and local shops, temples,gion district all nearby, The bike hire was the icing because you could just set off in a number of directions from the guesthouse and discover something new each day, 3 days was definately enough though to see most of kyoto but i was a solo traveler and quite fit so i got out early and biked the whole day and came back late.
I would recommend this guest house to stay, Good Value, Once you find it actually in a good location for exploring.

Room Tip: Hire a Bike.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank brighteststar1
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is not the best hotel you can find, but the location is convenient, close to Gion area and there are a lot of restaurants close to the guesthouse. The staff is friendly. There is a bar in the hotel were you can have breakfest and chat with the owners or the other guests. Sometimes, it was a little bit noisy because of people having a drink, but it wasn't too disturbing.

Free wifi and two computers available. The edifice is a old traditionnal house. The rooms are spacious and the heating works good, but the common areas are really freezing in winter.

It wasn't the more comfortable or fancy hotel I stayed, but I liked very much, I was feeling like at home.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank globecoureuse
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I had high hopes for this place on checking in -- cheap and well-located seemed like a good reason to go with a hostel-style lodging and and take my chances on who I'd be sleeping next to. But after waking up at 5 am to find a girl huddled on the floor because there were bugs in her bed, and finding evidence in my own bed...it really cast a cloud over my otherwise wonderful trip to Kyoto.

The only thing worse than feeling itchy all day was the massive cleanup I had to do when I got back to Tokyo. I REALLY hope I got all the bugs because they are a nightmare if they get established in your house. It is horrible to have to worry if bedbugs have laid eggs in your passport.

Futons on the floor and shoji and tatami mats are charming, but they are also perfect places for bedbugs to live.

I hope the guest house is doing everything it can to get rid of this problem!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends