“Nice stay”

and 1 more site!
Gojo Guest House
Ranked #44 of 419 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Hey well gojo was really nice place during my stay, The bike hire and cafe downstairs and free internet all made the stay feel really homely as if you were living in japan going off to do your daily deeds.
I got to admit though i did have a few problems with the stay, I think firstly the location, i was Soooo lost and walking around in the rain in the dark was not fun, I did however see half of gion looking for the place and it is in good proximity to the geisha district just the problem is this is at the far side of town.
Second was the rooms, I stayed in a male dorm but it was kinda crowded it was like tetris trying to fit everyones beds into the room, The problem with this is you would have to tip toe around and over people if you wanted to get up early or come back late, But all the people in my room were ok and quite social so we ended up getting to know eachover so there was no issues.
Thirdly and the thing that kinda bugged me a lil was whether the staff were being genuine or not, The guys were really friendly and gave you advice and were talking as if personal like you were friends, One of the girls seemed abit "not in the mood" and not very patient, However another one was really nice and friendly but most importantly, genuine and happy.
Overall though the place is just what you need for kyoto, A traditional style house, Food and drink in-house and local shops, temples,gion district all nearby, The bike hire was the icing because you could just set off in a number of directions from the guesthouse and discover something new each day, 3 days was definately enough though to see most of kyoto but i was a solo traveler and quite fit so i got out early and biked the whole day and came back late.
I would recommend this guest house to stay, Good Value, Once you find it actually in a good location for exploring.

Room Tip: Hire a Bike.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank brighteststar1

Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is not the best hotel you can find, but the location is convenient, close to Gion area and there are a lot of restaurants close to the guesthouse. The staff is friendly. There is a bar in the hotel were you can have breakfest and chat with the owners or the other guests. Sometimes, it was a little bit noisy because of people having a drink, but it wasn't too disturbing.

Free wifi and two computers available. The edifice is a old traditionnal house. The rooms are spacious and the heating works good, but the common areas are really freezing in winter.

It wasn't the more comfortable or fancy hotel I stayed, but I liked very much, I was feeling like at home.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank globecoureuse
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I had high hopes for this place on checking in -- cheap and well-located seemed like a good reason to go with a hostel-style lodging and and take my chances on who I'd be sleeping next to. But after waking up at 5 am to find a girl huddled on the floor because there were bugs in her bed, and finding evidence in my own bed...it really cast a cloud over my otherwise wonderful trip to Kyoto.

The only thing worse than feeling itchy all day was the massive cleanup I had to do when I got back to Tokyo. I REALLY hope I got all the bugs because they are a nightmare if they get established in your house. It is horrible to have to worry if bedbugs have laid eggs in your passport.

Futons on the floor and shoji and tatami mats are charming, but they are also perfect places for bedbugs to live.

I hope the guest house is doing everything it can to get rid of this problem!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank koyogirl
Reviewed January 13, 2009

This hostel is nice and staff are friendly.
However, dormitories are very noisy because facing very noisy street called Gojo Street.

If you want to stay this place, you shold choose the room that is not facing the street if you want to sleep well.

Otherwise, it has been nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank french6
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We stayed here for the four-day Kyoto leg of our Japan trip. Gojo was great, especially for young travelers. We reserved a double room and were surprised to receive such a big room -- it ended up being the biggest room we ever had in Japan. The walls are a little thin, but it was never unreasonably loud. People seemed to respect the request to be quiet after 11pm. The futon was very comfy and the room did have air conditioning (though we didn't use it). The toilets/washroom were easy to access and clean. And yeah, the shower room is unisex, but the three showers have individual stalls with dividers that go floor to (practically) ceiling, so who cares? Just don't get undressed until you're in the stall.

The cafe/bar downstairs is absolutely charming. For every night that you stay at Gojo, you get a ¥300 drink coupon. We enjoyed wrapping up the long days of sightseeing with a drink downstairs, some internet time, and talking with other people in the bar. The staff is helpful and friendly, though they're very busy and don't have much free time to chit-chat.

My only complaint is that it was rather far from JR Kyoto Station, putting us rather far from the sights that we wanted to see. However, for people more interested in Gion, Kiyomizudera and other things on that side of town, it would be an ideal location. It all depends on what you're going for. And either way, for a comfortable futon at $60/night (plus good laundry facilities and a cute kitchenette), Gojo is a great option.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nekostef
Reviewed April 15, 2008

To everyone giving this place a bad wrap- are you for real? If you're in a dorm 10min from Gion, for about $30 a night, be extremely happy, and quit moaning that there's not a little gift wrapped soap and a mint on your pillow each evening. It's a hostel! And it's FANTASTIC.

The atmosphere at Gojo more than makes up for the cold bathroom floor and the sound of chatter from downstairs late at night (if you're sleeping in a place with shared areas, there's going to be a little noise!) The dorms upstairs are clean and warm, with a tiny galley kitchen, and a lounge with lots of maps and leaflets to put you on the right track to the local sights.
Gojo cafe, downstairs, is dimly lit with tables and chairs, and a traditional Japanese sitting area. It's so relaxed and friendly, with people hanging out just chatting with whoever else happens to be around. There's free internet, and a bohemian vibe, right down to the funky staff, who all own really good hats, I noticed.
I will definitely be back, so those who cannot handle a little noise or a clammy bathroom floor, go pay $400 a night at the Hilton! Those who want a fun stay with great people, get to Gojo.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank missyvette
Reviewed September 29, 2007

The Gojo Guest House is a traditional "Japanese style" lodge that offers a good deal for the money. If you're looking for something fancy, or even to stay in a place that resembles a traditional hotel, look elsewhere. This is definitely more like a hostel. If that doesn't bother you, it's a bargain for the price. Our room had six people (total) sleeping in in. You get roll-out mats with beanbag pillows. There was an air conditioner that worked fine. I was pretty skeptical about leaving all my stuff in a room with no locks and with strangers staying in it, but it was fine. The staff was nice enough to let me leave my laptop behind the counter at night, and there are very small (as in purse-sized) lockers available for a small deposit. There are shared showers, which are co-ed. This wasn't a problem for me, but some people might not like that. IN the main lobby/cafe area, there were two laptop computers available for Internet access during the day + I was able to get a free wireless connection with no problem. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was convenient and close to transportation. Probably my biggest complaint was the 280 yen they charge for a thimble-sized cup of coffee. Okay, it's about 3-4 ounces, but for those of us who like our coffee in the morning, this was really expensive. Oddly enough "breakfast" (coffee + toast) costs 300 yen. Um, okay. (Pop down the street to the nearby 7-11 instead.) My friend and I did meet some very nice people here, and the overall atmosphere is laid-back, with pretty much everyone reading the Lonely Planet guide and spending their days and nights in Kyoto. If you have a lot of valuables or are used to the comforts of a hotel, you might want to look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a decent, friendly place to stay, you could do a whole lot worse.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends