“Clean, central and good value”

Karasuma Kyoto Hotel
Ranked #64 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Brighton & Hove
“Clean, central and good value”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Please read the positive comments about this place, I think there's one whiney person complaining about bedsprings, as it's a great, central and cheap place to stay.

I don't know about you but when I'm travelling all I want from my room is for it to be clean and somewhere to shower and sleep. It's perfect for this.

I really enjoyed Kyoto and this hotel is only 20 minutes walk from Gion district etc so well worth it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank PoliteBrighton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
LINCOLN
Reviewed July 26, 2010

An excellent choice of hotel for Kyoto. Perfect position and so near major sights. Food and bar area clean, well maintained, reasonably priced and staff extremely attentive. The starbucks outside is great place to watch world go by early morning. Rooms smallish but comfy and clean. Would definatley go back there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank hideyspidey
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Quite small, but neat and quiet rooms. OK location near metro and bus stops. Staff were friendly and spoke good English. Possibility to use internet in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We book this hotel from JTB website. You buy the bullet train ticket and get the hotel- so you kind of don't have choices-. But I think it was of for what we had paid.

The best part of the hotel it's location. Kyoto can be divided in four quadrants and, this hotel it's right on the middle. Easy access for all sightseeing by bus- no worry, bus is super easy to use it.

The hotel is a bit old, but clean. I would suggest to turn the corner and have you breakfast in one of thousands coffee shops that you can find in Kyoto.

Staff was really helpful. Buy one day bus pass from the lobby, get with them the maps and enjoy Kyoto!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Indio, California
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel was well situated. Loved the Starbucks on the goround floor and proximity to the subway and train stations. Very easy to get to almost any location in Kyoto from here.
The rooms are small but clean and well-designed for the space allowed. Very modern.

MY BED WAS AN INSTRUMENT OF TORTURE.
I could actually see the heavy metal grid standing up through a light padding. The staff spoke little English. There were no other rooms or beds available. I called housekeeping and asked for three blankets to delivered so I could pad the bed under the sheets. Not enough. The next morning the houskeeping staff removed the padding and we were back to 0.

I photograhed the bed and took the image to the desk staff who scratched their heads and apologized. When I returned to my room nothing had changed and we were still at 0.

I called housekeeping, had SIX blankets delivered and re-made my bed. That night I slept, not from comfort but from sheer exhaustion.

i've never been happier to check out of a hotel in my life! Believe me, the only thing that saved that stay was the Starbucks where I could doze over a morning coffee!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank landscapeartist
Germany
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Visited Kyoto during the Cherry Blossom season in April 2010. Did not know that Kyoto would be so crowded, and after desperate attempts to find any hotel room, was lucky enough to get a room in the Karasuma.
Good point: the location. Near the subway station and only a walking distance from the main shopping area and large department stores.
Bad point: my single room was very small, the bathroom was miniature size. Worse, there was this gross kind of feeling about the whole room as there were age old stains on the carpeting ... I did not dare walk barefooted on the carpet.
There was free Internet connection in the room (cable only, no WLAN)
There is a Starbucks adjacent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Forsyte
Manila
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Overall, I was happy with this hotel. Although the room was small and the bathroom was cramped, more important to me was that it was very clean. The hotel staff were very helpful. They speak basic English and were able to give us accurate directions to where we wanted to go. When we had trouble locating the bus stop, one of them even accompanied us to its location and informed the bus driver to remind us when it was already our stop. They can also do hotel to hotel luggage transfers which was very convenient for us. Better yet, the location is great! It's right along the Karasuma subway line which is only 2 stops from Kyoto Station. And it's easy to walk from the hotel to Gion, Nishiki Flea market and the Manga Museum.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family