I was only able to go to Kyoto for 2 days and figured I'd spend my one night in a Ryokan. I spent a lot of time on Trip Advisor trying to figure out which one, finding one that was centrally located, etc. and settled on Nishiyama Ryokan for a couple reasons:
1) it seemed to be in a good location
2) it wasn't ridiculously expensive
3) it had an attached bathroom
Now I know that #3 technically means this isn't a "traditional" ryokan but in all other aspects it was. But I was traveling with coworkers and we decided that bathing together was probably not the best option.
Anyway, the room was really cute and much bigger than I expected. We spent the evening in the room, sitting in our little chairs drinking green tea and chatting. Our beds were basically just pallets on the floor and it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure I could have slept on the floor for more than a night or two, but I slept fine for that one night.
While I didn't partake of the baths in the Ryokan, I did poke my head in and it was really cute and had a very nice hot tub, which made me bummed I hadn't brought my bathing suit.
The staff was friendly and willing to watch our baggage both the day we got there (too early for check in) and the day we left. They also are able to sell bus passes, which is extremely helpful in Kyoto and gave us several great restaurant recommendations.
Overall it was a cute place and I'd recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NISHIYAMA RYOKAN is small japanese style hotel.more than 2000 visitors from around the world stay with each year.plese enjoy traditional japanese culture at very reasonable rates.thank you in advance ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Nishiyama Ryokan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nishiyama Ryokan Hotel Kyoto