“....... WOW... Highlight of Kyoto Visit!!”

Kyo no Yakinikudokoro Hiro Sembon Sanjo Honten
Ranked #131 of 12,331 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My GF, her friend and I went to the pontocho location (beside the river), expecting the most amazing beef/steak meal from all the hype on TA. We walk inside, easy to find from all the TA reviews. We opt'd to sit outside because it was a nice day, and I gotta say, the scenery was gorgeous =). You sit on the ground on little mats (japanese style) with a marble table and grill in the middle, the menu options included 3 diff set menus, so we chose to try one each (since there was 3 of us) 5,000, 6,000 & 7,000 Yen. we started with a app bento box each, which had assorted starters - all were pretty good. Then they gave us approx 5 cuts of meat for us to cook ourselves. (servers had limited english - so we couldnt find out the type or cut of meat, which was unfortunate). But all gotta say is, with all the hype about this place, and the rank of #4 of TA..... this place DEFINITELY lived up to and surpassed my expectations. The meat just melted in your mouth, perfectly seasoned, and explosion of flavour. I love bbq at home in Canada, but the beef here is just ... WOW.....
Couple tips -
1. do NOT overcook the meat,
2. the little white block? its fat to grease the grill, use it and save it... they only give you one the whole meal....
3. be sure to make reservations (day of is ok)
4. GO HERE. period.

oh and bill came out to about 24,000 yen ($240 CND) with plenty of bieru and sake. Def gotta try it atleast once.

2  Thank Ben L
There are newer reviews for Kyo no Yakinikudokoro Hiro Sembon Sanjo Honten

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We first went on the official web site, took a screenshot of their location... but still couldn't find the restaurant located in pontocho (they have several restaurants in Kyoto) with their indications.
So we asked on guy in the street, who came with us to the place.
Here are the coordinates of the restaurant (according to my phone GPS): 35.008114,135.769705.
You just have to search this in google maps and take a screenshot of it.
The logo of the restaurant looks like sort of a "34" in japanese.
It is in the middle of the street, near a cool bar called "EP" (we went there also, we recommend).

We both like meat, and after a long day visiting Kyoto we really enjoyed this diner!
We had the 70000 yen meat menu (several kinds of meat for 2 pax), with bimbimbap and garlic rice on the side, that was very good.
We first came at 7PM. We had to book for 8:15PM for the next table available.

Good luck to find it and bon appetit.

3  Thank aqwzsxedc
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Best everything so much to choose from. The staff are great. Everything you read About is right and more. Get your hotel to book ahead to make it easier. Right next to the river

1  Thank Jimicans
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I travelled Japan with my wife and seven year old boy. My wife and I love raw fish and my son loves prepared meat. This restaurant was recommended to us by Hotel Gion Maifukan. We all loved the food and cultural experience at Yakiniku Hiro in Kyoto's Gion district. As adults we chose a set menu at about 6,000 yen each. My son had a la carte meat like sirloin steak. Although we ate many parts of a cow we had never tasted before it was all delicious. The experience was elevated by sitting in a private room and preparing the food over a charcoal grill. We had excellent service although the English language capabilities were limited. The eight course dinner ended with a green tea dessert in a fashionable lounge. My son still talks about this restaurant because the meat was exquisite and he had fun preparing his own meat and monitoring ours.

1  Thank cgra_dk
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went to the restaurant in Ponto-cho but not on the river. The service wasn't great, we even had to send one of our group to find staff once. The meat was good to very good, not excellent, but very expensive. I had better beef at other restaurants for less money too. Maybe we were unlucky on the night?