Almont Hotel Kyoto
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspublic bathminute walktrain stationsouth exitpower pointshot bathfree wifijapanese hotelswashing machines and dryersstation areabuffet breakfastsmall roomstayed for two nightsmodern hotelconvenience storeconvenient locationnight's sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I will book this hotel again for sure if I am going to travel to Kyoto in the future.

First I want to share 2 downside of the hotel.
It's around 5 mins from the Kyoto station ONLY if you walk quickly and your exit of the mode of transport is coincidentally the same exit which is closest to the hotel.
I took JR from airport to Kyoto and use buses(which I find most convenient) and that means the hotel is on the other side of the station which took 15mins walk to hotel in total (I walk slowly). Also the walk from station to hotel is a bit quiet so not suggest for single female traveler.

The room are very small indeed, if you have 2 big luggage, you can never open 2 at the same time, but I guess this happens a lot in Japan's hotel, so it's fine for me.

The good things about the hotel:
1. The price are the cheapest with reasonable quality around the Kyoto station.
2. Rooms are small but design in the sense that take cares of your needs.
On the desk you got wifi login name and password. You have the charger of mobiles on the side. Bed are small but is very comfy. This room indeed makes me feel much better than the other hotels (more pricey but spacious) hotels I stayed in the same trip.
3. Hotel people are very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Overall, I was very impressed with Almont Hotel Kyoto. The room I stayed in (double room) was very spacious and comfortable, the bed was comfy and sleep quality was excellent. There is a public bath on the 2nd floor, it is of good size and has long opening hours (6am-10am, 4pm to 2am) - it is one of the best features of the hotel, make sure you check it out!
The location of the hotel is good, as it is an easy 5 minute walk from Kyoto's train station. The only slight problem is the hotel being on the 'wrong' side of the train station and if you want to walk to the main bus station (next to Kyoto tower) to travel to nearby attritions such as Kiyomizu-dera, Yasaka Shrine etc., it takes at least another 5 minutes (which in my opinion is nothing, but there are hotels which are closer).
The staff I encountered were friendly (as you would expect in most Japanese hotels) and the hotel has a good free Wi-Fi service. I didn't use the restaurant, so I am afraid I can't comment on the food quality/prices.

To conclude: If you are intending to spend a lot of time exploring Kyoto and its surrounding area and want a comfortable base to go back to at night to recharge your battery, this is the hotel for you. It doesn't have luxurious, resort like facilities, but when there are so many things to see in Kyoto and its neighbouring towns/cities, why would anyone want to be stuck in a hotel?

Room Tip: Not sure how big a single room is at Almont, but the double room I stayed in was very spacious, even by European standards
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

As mentioned by others it's new and rooms are good quality, comfortable and still seem almost brand-new. Staff is VERY friendly and helpful up to the extreme where ever they can! We looked for some difficult to find places and they really did their best to help us. There is the public bath, a relaxing option for those who are into it (which seem many as it's popular). The lobby contains free internet computers and many books on Kyoto for orientation.

Rooms and services like the free wifi, bathroom, coffee/tea etc are kind of standard for hotels in Japan in this class. Which means small but super-efficient rooms. Free wifi and coffee/tea equipment. Bathrobes and slippers, soap/shampoo provided, Japanese style computerized toilet, etc.

This hotel makes a difference in that it's all still very new, high quality, super-ergonomic, comfortable and beautiful. And for a very good price. In this way this hotel is a real bargain and super-comfortable. It's just a very nice and relaxing place to get back to in the evening, tired from a long day discovering the town or wet from rain. To freshen up, rest, shower and sleep. In this way it gives the experience of a high class hotel, even though in fact it's low budget.

This hotel basically sets a standard for how a hotel should be run. It's just really good.

In short, it's a very good option and almost counts as one of the attractions to experience in Kyoto ;-)

What could be improved though is the location. It's 10 minutes walking from the station and can't be seen from the exit. We couldn't find it when we arrived in Kyoto, nobody seemed to know it so we ended up taking a taxi (it's nearby so not expensive). All the attractions of Kyoto including the subway are at the OTHER side of the trainstation meaning a headstart every morning of a 15 minutes walk to start itineraries. Even so, the hotel is that good that we didn't mind this drawback.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the Almont Hotel for a week and it was great! It's a very new hotel (opened in December 2012) and that was one of the main reasons we booked it, and the facilities exceeded our expectations. The rooms were quite big by Japanese standards, and the service was excellent. It's close to Kyoto station but away from the crowds, and the public baths are just awesome.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. The room wasn't big, but no Japanese hotels are. My wife prefers very clean hotels and this one was clean. It is also still very new (I believe it opened in November of 2012).

I enjoyed using the public bath, but many westerners might be uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple