“Great location, all we needed - a good place to stay.”

Kyoto Tower Hotel Annex
Ranked #118 of 396 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We booked a triple room for a week in Kyoto and were happy with this hotel. Finding a triple room in Kyoto during cherry blossom time is always a challenge so this hotel was not our first choice. However all we really wanted was comfortable beds for a good night's sleep, handy location and breakfast - and this is what we got. Yes the rooms are small but this is similar to other Japanese business hotels I have stayed in. If you expect to get a room of Western proportions in Japan you may well be disappointed, as many are small. The rooms at the Kyoto Tower Annex were spotlessly clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was a capsule and it is probably lucky that the three of us are all quite small otherwise using the bathroom might have been difficult. Unfortunately there were very limited places to hang our clothes and finding places for our suitcases required some imagination, but we managed. Breakfast was included in our booking and there was a range of Western and Japanese style dishes, all of which were good. The hotel is very well located, only 5 minutes (at the most) from Kyoto Station and it is also close to the bus depot and the taxi rank so getting downtown or to the tourist sites is easy. There is also a small supermarket opposite and a Lawsons one minute away on the corner and another a few minutes away, so buying drinks, snacks and meals is easy. There are lots of places to eat in the streets close by and also under the station. The Kyoto Annex Tower is certainly not the best hotel I have stayed in but it is what it is and was all we needed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 8, 2013

After reading what another reviewer had mentioned, I am so glad that the room I stayed in was scrupulosly clean. I stayed at a twin room.

Getting there: Say you are in front of the main entrance of the Kyoto JR station. You should see the Kyoto Tower opposite you. Without crossing the road, turn left and walk straight. You should walk past the entrance of Isetan department store before coming to a traffic crossing, Cross the road to the Kyoto Central Post Office. Once in front of the Kyoto Central Post office, turn right and walk straight towards the traffic crossing. You would be passing a Lawsons convenience store and Cafe Veloce before you come to the traffic light. Cross the road, turn left until you see another Lawsons convenience store. Walk towards that Lawsons. (I don't know why there are 2 Lawsons convenience stores within 200 metres of each other). Turn right and walk straight until you see the hotel. There is a supermarket opposite the hotel and here's a tip: they have great bentos (lunch boxes / lunch sets) at very reasonable prices. I used to work around the area and would visit the supermarket to grab a bento for lunch or dinner. The breaded fried oysters are marvellous!

But I digress...

If you are taking a taxi, let the driver know you want to get to 京都中央邮便局 (Kyoto Central Post Office) and navigate from there.

When I was there, the hotel staff spoke a decent amount of English -- enough for us to check in and out, request for an "air port" to access the hotel's internet connection, relay a phone message to us regarding our pickup to the airport the next day.

The room was small, but still slightly bigger than some other hotels I have stayed in China and Taiwan. We had 4 pieces of luggage and were able to place them near the door. There was enough floor space near the door and between the beds to open up our suitcases. There were also other nooks and crannies where we could stow a backpack here and a computer bag there so the room didn't look like a total mess. There wasn't a wardrobe in the room but there was a little space to hang up your heavier coats and jackets near the door. I wished there was a bit more space where I could hang up my clothes though. There was also a bottle of fabric spray provided which is supposed to 'deodorize' your clothes. A very thoughtful gesture to provide that.

The bathroom was scrupulously clean. Bathrooms in Japan are usually more like plastic boxes. (almost) Everything is plastic -- the walls, the ceiling, the floor, the sink, the toilet, the tub... well, you get the picture. When we were staying in Kyoto, it was a constant battle with mould growing on the walls and the sink. It was slippery to touch, unsightly and disgusting. Fortunately the hotel's bathroom was really clean. Oh, the ceiling is really low though and I really feel it when I was standing in the tub for a shower and I am not even tall.

There are 3 or 4 vending machines on the floor where you can get your usual beverages (mineral water, coffee, soda, etc) and some rice crackers and peanuts -- yes, avaliable in a can, from a vending machine. This is a really good snack to go with the beer and the sake which you can get from the other 2 vending machines. The 4th is for a TV card which you can get and access other movies available in your room. The drinks are horribly overpriced by the way. With so many supermarkets, convenience stores and practically a vending machine every 200 metres, you are better off buying drinks and beverages elsewhere.

Breakfast isn't included. It is provided at the hotel's restaurant for 1400 yen per person which I find expensive. I can easily get an onigiri (rice ball), sandwiches, pastries and drinks from the convenience stores. We settled our breakfast for the next day in under 1400 yen for the both of us. (2 onigiris, 2 pastries, 2 cans of coffee) If you are a really heavy eater, I think some of the ramen (noodles) shops in the ramen stretch (Isetan department store, 10th floor, great ramen and udon) open as early as 8.30 a.m.

Like what the other reviewers have mentioned, the location of the hotel is really great because it's near the JR (Japan Rail) station (good for getting to other cities such as Osaka, Kobe, etc), the Kyoto City Subway (good for navigating around Kyoto and getting to the other train lines such as the Hankyu and the Keihan line so you can navigate around Kyoto) and the bus depot. Many of the sights in Kyoto are actually more accessible by buses so in many cases, it's easier to take a bus than the subway. And you really want to queue for the bus at the depot instead of trying to get up at other stops if your are visiting Kyoto during the peak season. (Kyoto is extremely popular with tourist during the spring season, for the sakura blossoms and in the fall for the red maple leaves).

And there are many food options around the area. Besides the convenience stores, the supermarket and the stretch of ramen stores in Isetan department store I mentioned, there are more food options in Porta (the underground mall) If you are fluent in Japanese, try exploring the little restaurants, eateries and izakayas (Japanese-style pubs) around the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ShayeL
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Very small rooms with some sort of prefabricated bathrooms (toilet and shower in one). Breakfast not included in the price. Good location though - easy access to anywhere in the city and beyond.
Many convenience stores nearby for cheap/er food options.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Witoldzio
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed in a triple room with my mother and sister in May 2012. This hotel was only okay and I know that there are better hotels out there in the same price range. This was my second trip to Kyoto. Last time I stayed at the Hotel Hokke Club and it was FAR SUPERIOR to the Kyoto Tower Annex Hotel. I wish I would have stayed there again; the extra $10 a night I would have paid would have been far worth it.

Pros about Kyoto Tower Hotel Annex
- Location (a block away from Kyoto Station. Staying near Kyoto Station is a MUST, as it is east to navigate Kyoto and to get to other cities from this station).
- Size for a triple was small but manageable (it's Japan -- if you want a large hotel room, you are coming to the wrong country).
- Complementary tickets to Kyoto Tower.
- Beds were clean.
- Helpful staff (though the language barrier was a problem)

Cons
- Staff spoke little English.
- Mold growing on the shower walls in the bathroom.
- Tub did not drain properly.
- Local information (maps, etc) was all in Japanese.
- AC was terrible (the hotel shuts off the A/C between 2am-4am and 2pm-4pm for "maintenance". Never in my life have I heard of this and I think the hotel just does it to save money. In any case, all 3 nights I stayed at this hotel, I woke up sweating in the middle of the night and had to go down to the front desk to complain. After I complained, they rebooted the system and the air came on, but when I woke up later at 9 am, it was hot again and the A/C had turned off again. The staff told us that sometimes when the AC turns off for "maintenance", the system needs to be restarted or something like that. It was 3 days of uncomfortable heat and never knowing when the A/C would stop working. AVOID this hotel during the hot months, which are May through October).
- Mattress in one bed in the triple room had NO support (and I even prefer a soft bed, but this one would be a nightmare for anyone with back problems).

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Hokke Club (also right across from Kyoto Station) and found that hotel to be far superior and a much better value for what you get.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank lt1168
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Three family members stayed here for three nights during our trip to Kyoto. The staff was friendly and helpful but the room was really crowded. There was minimal space to place luggage and move around. The best thing the hotel has going for it is its proximity to the Kyoto train station and bus depot. During our stay there were several groups of Japanese school children at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ocher
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We found it to be pretty comfortable and you can't beat the location. It is only about 2 blocks from the JR Kyoto train station. There is a convenient store on the same street which was nice. They gave us free passes to the Kyoto Tower, but we never had time to use them.

The room was a decent size and like other reviewers have stated the bathroom was tiny. I also found the bathroom in need of an update. I would consider it a budget hotel, but don't let that stop you from staying there. We paid for the buffet breakfast each day which was quite good. They had both Japanese and Western style food. They stored our luggage for a few hours after we checked out so that we could go to the Fushimi Inari Shrine. The hotel staff were quite friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zippy608
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed with my two teenage children in one room, we found the size comfortable enough, the bathroom though was TINY. We were all very happy with the hotel, the location close to the trin and bus station was fantastic, the corner store Lawson was great and under the station are many restaurants to choose from, we recommend the Okonomiyaki and Tonkatsu stores there. We do not recommend the Quatro Italian restaurant round the corner from Lawson convenience store, it was pricey and food not nice. The free tickets to the tower to be used on the day of visit were definitely worthwhile taking up the offer on, great view even on a rainy day. Rooms were made up each day, all conveniences of hairdryer, towels, toiletries, shampoo etc provided. Would recommend and stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012