Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 20, 2019

This was my second visit to Motonago and I have recommended this beautiful property to many others, that's how much I loved it.

To truly experience Motonago, book the full board, dinner, and breakfast, preferably for two nights, then once you've done your days sightseeing, as the doors close behind you, slip on your yakarta and let the serenity envelope you. The tranquility of Motonago is such a contrast to the bustle of the temples and streets of Kyoto. Located smack bang in the heart of the temples of Higashiyama, the little laneways are a delight to explore and the location for this traditional guesthouse is perfect.

The service is impeccable, the multi-course meals are stunning, the traditional bedding super-comfy, and the cedar-lined onsen, a perfect and relaxing end to the day.

I know choosing a ryokan is hard, they appear to be pricey, and it may be tempting to just opt for a hotel, but seriously, take a chance - do the maths (and you'll realise that a ryokan is on par with Kyoto hotel prices including meals, bath and service), but most importantly, a stay in a traditional ryokan is a priceless and unique experience and Kyoto is the place to do it. Motonago is an excellent mid range option but with a reputation that is fitting with the uber-expensive ryokans in Kyoto. It's only small so when the bookings open, get in quick.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Boyos
Reviewed February 18, 2019

Everything as expected, great service, and the food is delicious. You can reserve the common bathroom and have it for yourself which is great. The location is perfect.
It is expensive for what it offers in my opinion but It is the average price for that kind of Ryokan, so I was not disappointed and the experience is well worth it.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2019 via mobile

We were there with our boys 17 and 14 and it was an experience certainly out of their comfort level. The food at the dinner, fine dining 2 hr meal with all raw fish. They did it but that was different for them. The people were so sweet and nice but English just so-so. Beds as futons were comfortable and we slept well. The baths were great and relaxing. Overall we are so glad we went and it’s an experience we will never forget.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Travellingsuz
Reviewed December 19, 2018

I will never forget the nights we spent at Motonago. The service and care was second to none, and our room was a wonderfully unique blend of tradition and comfort. I found myself looking forward to getting back there after our daily activities (where there would likely be tea waiting for us!), as it very soon became a sanctuary. Our meals were a highlight - the kaiseki dinner, in particular, was extraordinary. It was definitely a splurge for us, but was worth every penny. Memorable and special. Thank you for having us!

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent a night at Motonago with the full dinner, breakfast and bath house options. Simply - this is something to experience! The staff were delightful and attentive, the food spectacular and the whole experience something to remember. While located in the perfect Gion position once we checked in about 4pm we did not leave until 10am the next day and just soaked in everything this accommodation had to offer - didn’t want to break the serenity by leaving. Highly recommend

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple