Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 19, 2018

I will never forget the nights we spent at Motonago. The service and care was second to none, and our room was a wonderfully unique blend of tradition and comfort. I found myself looking forward to getting back there after our daily activities (where there would likely be tea waiting for us!), as it very soon became a sanctuary. Our meals were a highlight - the kaiseki dinner, in particular, was extraordinary. It was definitely a splurge for us, but was worth every penny. Memorable and special. Thank you for having us!

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent a night at Motonago with the full dinner, breakfast and bath house options. Simply - this is something to experience! The staff were delightful and attentive, the food spectacular and the whole experience something to remember. While located in the perfect Gion position once we checked in about 4pm we did not leave until 10am the next day and just soaked in everything this accommodation had to offer - didn’t want to break the serenity by leaving. Highly recommend

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2018

Location is easy to find and the hotel is near all famous temples in Kyoto.. walking distance..
Huge room we have been assigned.. traditional Japanese style accommodation which we were looking forward for this trip .. and that's what exactly what we have got! A warm welcome tea with Japanese style mochi as welcome food .. heart touching one :)
Comfortable and quiet room.. interesting bath experience :)
We had dinner for second night in the hotel and that's definitely one of the best Kaiseki dinner we ever had with excellent service !!
Will come back to stay again :)

Room tip: best japanese service with traditional japanese style room
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2018

We were interested in a traditional Ryokan experience including Keiseki dinner, but were also looking for one that included an Onsen that both my husband and I could share (versus being separated by gender) which really limited our search based off of price and existence. Motonago far exceeded our expectations. Rooms were wonderfully decorated and maintained, food was good, it was our honeymoon so they had us dine in the private dining room looking our on the garden, it was truly special. And while they don't have an onsen, they have private hot baths that you schedule for you and anyone in your party so it was a relaxing "spa" experience my husband and I could both partake in. I would HIGHLY recommend Motonago. On top of all of the above, the price is EXTREMELY reasonable given the location and other Ryokan's in the area. Again, I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE ENOUGH! Absolute highlight of our trip.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2018

The owners and staff are super helpful, extremely kind. The ryokan is very clean. The food is outstanding. I recommend the private bath, but you can also schedule the other baths for private use. They will call cabs for you, loan you umbrellas, provide directions. It is an authentic Japanese experience.

Date of stay: July 2018