“Highlight of Kyoto”

The Art of the Geisha: Private Dinner in Kyoto
Ranked #392 of 1,375 things to do in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dancing geishas, puppet shows and musical performances are just some of the regular events to be seen at this popular theater in Kyoto's entertainment district.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I’m quite surprised by all of the negative reviews as this was easily one of my favourite parts of Kyoto. Yes, a lot of the show (the comedy play, the puppet show etc) is in Japanese but we were given a four page english brochure which explained each act in great detail. We read the entire storyline of the play and the puppet show beforehand so that we were able to follow what was going on.

As for the price, I don’t think that 2500 yen is expensive for a one hour show. We thought it was excellent value and absolutely loved it.

4  Thank freecandy
in 5 reviews
"koto"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ya know, I used to work in the coupon industry as a designer creating ads. I've learned that most places that advertise in coupon books are having to advertise for a reason...they are mediocre and disappointing. my point is, we went to the Gion Corner performance because it was advertised with a discount in a Kyoto activity book at our ryokan. obviously if you are coming to kyoto you are interested in its history. obviously the chance at a geisha performance would be desirable. Gion Corner offers you a speed-course at its most cherished traditions.

but seriously, for the cost i expected a lot more. i failed to review this right after my March trip, so my memory is failing... it was 3500 yen with the discount I think? whatever it was, the lackluster performances in the small room with fold out chairs made me feel a bit ripped off. more than ripped off, I was more frustrated by being so bored. our time in Kyoto was limited and I wish I would have spent it doing something else. The Geisha dance of the 2 girls fully made up was definitely the highlight. But all the other performances were dull. Flower arranging? ok. Puppet show? mildly amusing. Everything felt very run of the mill and the performers lacked enthusiasm.

This felt like more of a children's show than something an adult would enjoy.

1  Thank Heather W
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Sure, I agree with some that this is expensive, but why travel all the way to Kyoto and not experience this? I was hesitant before I stepped into the theatre, but I didn't regret it later. We also did the matcha tea ceremony after the show, and that was another experience well worth it. If you visit Japan just wanting the modern stuff, you'll miss out on a lot.

1  Thank TADoc
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The short performance by the miako and comedian acts were interesting. Its a good way to understand more about the Japanese culture witihout having to seat through entire shows of it.Every act (around 7 of then) lasts for about 15 minutes. The whole show lasts for 1 hour. Pretty entertaining and really suitable for tourist, who wants to get it all within the shortest time.

3  Thank Aviator42