Matsubaya Inn
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
Chidori(Kyoto)
View Hotel
All reviewsjapanese breakfastjapanese style roomkyoto stationbicycle rental shoptea settatami matsryokan experiencesmall giftshared showerminute walktraditional ryokangarden viewwestern roomthird floorcomfortable futonsbreakfast was deliciousstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We chose this hotel because of the relatively good reviews it received.
The location of the inn is about a 10 minute walk from Kyoto station with luggages, but without clear instructions, one would tend to miss it as it is located in a nondescript street with a small signage. Be sure to ask for directions at the train station if you're unclear.
The lady at the ryokan was rather business like, but she spoke english well enough. There is an internet terminal that was unoccupied whenever I wanted to use it, which was good.
Our room type was B-type, which was 8 tatamis sized and located on the first floor. The room is quite small for a family of four - just enough to place our futons down, but it was comfortable enough. The futons were comfortable enough because we slept on the blanket instead of using it, since the heater was really warm. The toilet though, is really small and might be a problem for bigger built people. Overall, the room was good enough for us.
We had the Japanese breakfast for one of the mornings. It consisted of several small dishes including miso soup and salmon, as well as scrambled eggs. It's a good experience for those who want to try a japanese breakfast.
During our stay, the service was polite and adequate, but I wouldn't say it was impeccable. But for the reasonable price and clean room, we would go there for another stay if we visited Kyoto again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Cherylcxe
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We had kept Kyoto on our Japan trip to be the place where we would experience a japanese ryokan. The question we came away with after going to Matsubaya was whether sleeping on the floor and walking around without shoes is all there is to it. In that sense Matsubaya was a disappointment. I was personally looking for a more "Japanese " stay experience. I was also a little put off when we arrived at 1:45 pm and though we wer allowed to keep our bags in the room , we werent really allowed to stay there because check in time was 3pm - that meant an hour of just sitting around doing nothing. I think a little flexibility is called for specially when the guests in questions are older people who have arrived after a long journey. Otherwisr the place was convenient, clean and the gentleman owner and his son (?) were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank saraswati58
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Matsubaya ryokan is an ideal place for living the real Japan ! Rooms clean and modern in Japanese style or not, in a very convenient area of the city, one of the station. But Matsubaya ryokan is also quite far from the station to be very quiet and relaxing: it seems to live in tipical Japanese residential neighborhood!
In the hotel you can have breakfast: Oriental (for the brave) or Western. This is good because it is not easy to find "bar" that serve breakfast in Kyoto. One small recommendation: If you choose "B type room" and want to sleep more than 8 in the morning, wear earplugs: it is near the reception and unfortunately not all travelers are educated as the Japanese ....
P.S. If you rent a bike during your stay, you will have place in the Matsubaya Ryokan garage!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I can't recommend this enough. We stayed at the Type B Japanese Style room which is spacious enough with small but nice and clean toilet. They also provide yukata with instruction on how to wear it.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. And I mean they are sincerely helpful. Unlike all the other hotel staffs that we met during our trip, they were friendly too but just because they are required to.. well-mannered, I would said.
They are well-versed in English too.

I like the breakfast (we ordered western style), simply feel like home. I asked for a hard-boiled egg which was not in the menu for my 2-year old child, they pleasantly made it for me too, without charge.

They have a washing machine and a dryer on the 2nd floor, detergent was complimentary. There is a desktop with internet access at the lobby, and it is free too.

The only disadvantage is the location, it is quite a walking distance from Kyoto station, but if you are not bringing a young child like us, then it should be fine. Anyway, we can't find any nearer accommodation within that range of price.

I have stayed in 5 different hotels during my whole Japan trip and this is the only one I would highly recommend. We stayed at Aura Tachibana at Hakone right before this, and we prefer this ryokan much more than Aura Tachibana, even though this ryokan doesn't equipped with onsen.

It's a pity that we couldn't stayed longer... we will definitely stay again if we ever come back to Kyoto.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank luvtravel18
Reviewed December 18, 2010

we wondered whether to stay here after reading some of the reviews but we are glad we did. i believe the negative posts are by folks who expected a western hotel or more for what is a small amount of money in Japan. We stayed for a week in a Bamboo House apartment. for Y12,800/$150 a night. For that price we got a small but comfortable room with a small kitchen and bath. The bed was two twins pushed together but this light sleeper couldnt tell and cant complain (and believe me, i would). The bathroom was a new functional japanese bathroom, not a western bathroom meaning it was small and the shower / bath was a single unit with a hand wand that could be mounted on the wall. Totally functional, clean and fine but not "pretty" or "normal" for westerners. The bath was designed for those of shorter stature but my six foot husband was comfortable. We made breakfast each morning (ask for equipment from the main kitchen) including coffee and tea using the kettle and cereal with milk stored in the small fridge. I dont expect anyone could cook more than soup / heat a meal on the hot plate but it was fine for snacks, breakfast, and food brought in from the food hall at the local department store. The staff was incredibly friendly, arranged to forward our luggage and made numerous reservations for us prior to our arrival (including Saihoji garden -- a must visit). The apartments also have access to a free washer and pay dryer (pay for two dry cycles and leave it for a while) which was incredibly convenient. The linens were changed every day and the room was sparkling clean. Flat tv with no english stations and free LAN in the room (not wifi). The location is great, though a little hard to find the first time -- make sure to print out the map from the website and take a card with you for taxi drivers. The train station & main bus station is less than a 10 minute walk away and there is a starbucks en route as well as many food vendors at the station. I recommend this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation. The price was great and the location was perfect in navigating a city with so many different far flung sights.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple