Matsubaya Inn
Ryokufuso(Kyoto)
$278
$133
  • Free Internet
All reviewsjapanese breakfastjapanese style roomkyoto stationbicycle rental shoptea settatami matsryokan experiencesmall giftshared showerminute walktraditional ryokangarden viewwestern roomthird floorcomfortable futonsbreakfast was deliciousstayed nights
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in a Japanese-style room with private bath. Convenient location - near the station on a quiet side street. Very gracious, helpful and friendly English-speaking hosts. Nice tatami mats and comfy futon, green tea and rice crackers. Bathroom was clean and not cramped by Japanese standards. Very reasonablly priced with good breakfast option. Free Internet access.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've stayed here for 3 days after and before staying in a ryokan in Tokyo. I've taken a better, little more costly room with private bathroom. The location is perfect: right next to the main street Kyoto. I also tried their Japanese breakfast - if you consider breakfast take this one and not the American-style one (bacon and egg or whatever - you already have it at home). The staff was very kind and helpful, the room was clean with tea set and an electric kattle, and a TV set. If you are in Kyoto - I strongly recommend a walking tour with Johnny Hillwalker, an 80+ English-speaker, Japanese guide.

Room Tip: See my tip about breakfast (Japanese and not Western). Also try to avoid noisy neighbour, as the walls are thin.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed happily at this inn for 3 nights when travelling in Kyoto - 2 nights in a Japanese style room and one night in the Western style apartment. I liked both types of accommodations. However, the western-style room on the 5th floor is more spacious and probably is easier on your legs if you prefer more comfort vs. getting a taste of the traditional Japanese style living. The place is very clean, cozy and with all the essentials I needed as a solo budget-concious traveller. The Inn is privately owned by the family and showed some endearing personal touches to the visitors. I felt very comfortable with the place immediately. When I left the inn on the last day, both the owner and his wife came out to see me off with great smiles on their faces. I will definitely want to stay at this place again when I return to Kyoto next time!

Celia

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It's a lovely Japanese ryokan. The first time I experienced Japanese ryokan and I really enjoyed it. They provided very cute Japanese rope.
Staff is very friendly and helpful. Room is a bit small but cute and clean.
Location is quite good, 10 minutes walking from the station. There are lots of buses around.
Price is good for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very cute place with friendly and helpful staff who were eager to share restaurant and sightseeing recommendations. The young man working when we arrived even drew us a little map of local restaurants! The staff spoke great English. They were friendly and helpful when we made our reservations, too-the room category we had chosen was unavailable for one of the two nights and they graciously let us know by email ahead of time and asked us whether we'd prefer to switch rooms or spend both nights in a slightly more expensive room. We chose the second option and ended up in a garden view room on the ground floor, which was just beautiful! The room had a little alcove with a table and chairs that looked out onto a tiny Japanese garden. The room itself was not small for Japan, and the futons were surprisingly comfortable. Everything was clean, and there was a small table in our room with a water boiler and tea for us to make. The atmosphere of this ryokan is generally warm, peaceful and welcoming. We had the Japanese breakfast both days, and it was definitely worth the price. All of the food was fresh and delicious-and there was plenty of it! The location was convenient-right by Higashi Honganji, and a short walk from Shosei-en (a must-see!) and Kyoto Station, so you can get to anywhere you might want to go quite easily! The only small issue was that the water in the shower took quite a while to get hot. I definitely recommend this place if you can afford it. It's not a bad price for Japanese-style accommodations, and was worth spending a couple of days in before we moved to a cheaper hotel.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are more expensive but beautiful if you can afford it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple