Stayed here for 3 nights and is my 4th time to Kyoto. The reasons for choosing this are location and price (10,000 yen for a twin room without breakfast). Extremely cheap!
- directly opposite JR Kyoto station (go towards Karasuma exit)
- is only 10-15mins walk from JR station platform and 3mins from bus interchange
- Porta mall exit C is a few steps away from the hotel but please don't exit there with suitcase since there is no elevator but steps. Take the main walkways.
- is the best place to start your sightseeing with access to buses and subway and JR/Kintetsu rail
- get a bus pass for 500yen and you can covered 99% of the sightseeing areas. Subway is more expensive.
- lotsa food and shopping around the area (behind the hotel is a supermarket at B2 of Yodobashi, there are also lotsa electronics, cosmetics, stationeries, etc available). You can grab water, instant noodles, fruits, snacks)
-JR Kyoto has many restaurants, Isetan and other shops for young and trendy ladies)
-Ogawa coffeeshop is just right downstairs for breakfast/coffee/dessert
- there are no historic sites within 500m but if you like you can visit Kyoto Tower which is just 50m away
- HUGE! At least 30sqm with plenty of room for luggage.
- comfy beds but not so good pillows.
- good sound proofing and extremely clean
- I wish their towels were more fluffy and thicker
-as usual they provide amenities like shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, razor, combs, cotton buds and sshower gel like other Japanese hotels
- the decor is basic but I can't complain for the price
- I know some reviews mentioned tiny rooms, just make sure you don't choose semi-double room if you like space. Is only a little more for that space which I reckon is totally worth paying!
- free wifi and fast speed
- our room has the view of JR station. This is apparently only for twin and bigger rooms. The other rooms hardly have any windows.
- check in is at 3pm and checkout is 10am so is not great for those that arrive early from Osaka/Tokyo however they do keep the luggage for you and Japan is safe so trust them with your bags
-polite and basic English spoken
- self service is expected for moving your own luggage ans helping yourselves to the free maps, sightsee info and free facial masks at the hotel lobby.
- they provide safe keeping of passport since there is no safety box in the room.
Overall this is a highly functional hotel at a good price and accessible location. If you are fine with no frills, this is definitely for you. Do book early as I see that is very popular with tourists. I had to scout for many booking sites before finding an available room using Japanican.com.
Ps: there is a takoyaki van selling delicious octopus balls outside from 9pm. Pls try it being a famous local snack.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Rakuten, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, JAPANiCAN, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Hokke Kyoto