Lowest prices for your stay
$36
Free cancellation until 10/24/21
Booking.com$45
eDreams$45
Orbitz.com$36
All reviews great location train station single room hotel location your luggage buses
Selected filters
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just checked in today and the reception staff and their manager did not have any training in hospitality at all.When complaining that my room had no window,the answer was that they never promissed there should be one. I have the strong impression that the room where I and my wife have been checked in is a single room.The information in the hotel shows that 135 rooms out of the available 188 rooms are single. So be aware if you book a room in this hotel the changes are more than 71% it will be an single.

I spend half me life of staying in hotels but this one is the worst I have ever stayed in!

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Ger707
Reviewed August 11, 2012

+ Location is perfect
+ The Team is really friendly and always smiling

- Check-in is 15.00 - no discussion or you have to pay a surcharge
- The rooms were too small - and the bathroom ceiling only 195cms - so I touched it...
- We had a small window but hardly any daylight came in - as A/C was in front of it

I would not come back to be honest!

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank pinkilly2
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The hotel staff was excellent, their English was surprisingly good! The rooms we clean and a decent size. We had 3 sharing and didnt feel cramped at all. Unless you like traditional Japanese breakfast, getting this included can end up being pointless. The staff had some reccomendations for places to eat and drink, one of them didnt work out though. The izakaya "Sesame" offered to seat us for a 500 yen table fee, a not so subtle hint that westerners were'nt welcome. Kyoto is a great city though and that type of bigotry was not at all common from my experiance. The Gion district is very active in the evenings, lots of bars and good restaraunts. Over all though this was an excellent hotel, I highly reccomend it as long as you understand its a 'base of operations' and not a luxury resort.

Room tip: Most Japanese hotels provide basic things like a toothbrush, paste, soap, shampoo etc so no need to pack those along!
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is located directly across from the train station, which is very convenient, especially if you're using Kyoto as a bas to go to Nara or other day trips. It's not that close to the sites in Kyoto, but they're pretty spread out and inaccessible regardless. The staff is very attentive and spoke very good English. The rooms are tiny but adequate. Laundry, vending, ice down the hall. There's great tourist information in the lobby. Wifi in the lobby, wired Internet in the room. There's a grocery store around the corner. I'd stay here again for sure.

Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Hotel Hokke Club Kyoto for two nights this past July. We had booked into this hotel as part of a JapanICan Shinkansen package from Tokyo to Kyoto. Clean and well-managed, this hotel really supports the Kyoto visitor with maps, lots of additional travel information and helpful staff whose advise is most useful. They even provided us with umbrellas since it rained two of the days we were there. Located directly across from the Train station, the hotel is accessed via the underground Porta of shops and restaurants. Look for a brass plaque, and go up one flight of stairs to the Lobby. The rooms are small, as you would expect in Japan, and the bathroom appears to be added on. You have to step up to enter the bathroom. We really enjoyed the Western sized Kimono bathrobes. The room keys are large, but are held by the staff when you go out. Our room was very quiet.

We did not eat any meals in the hotel as they seemed fairly expensive. Instead we ate at two different restaurants located in the Porta – one a sobu noodle place and the other served a local type of omelet with noodles. Both were delicious and reasonably priced (between 800 and 1200 yen for full meals). For breakfast we went to the basement of the Yodobashi electronics department store directly in back of the hotel and picked up bento boxes which we stored in our refrigerator. Much to our surprise, the price of the boxes was cut in half after 8:00 pm. We got ones with egg, rice and sauce for around 200 yen. For the trip back to Tokyo we stopped into the basement food area of the Isetan Department store at the train station and picked up fancy bento boxes for lunch. I got 4 different delicious large slices of sushi for 560 yen and my husband got a Chinese lunch for a little more. Mine even had a small blue ice taped to the top to keep it cool until I ate it.

The hotel is within walking distance of the two Honganji Temples, although the Higashi Temple is undergoing some renovations. You can also reach the Shosei-en Garden on foot. Plan to spend some time exploring the Yodobashi Department Store. It was great fun to see racks with hundreds of different kinds of ear buds and head phones. You won’t believe how many watches this store carries. Prices were surprisingly reasonable.

Bus stops are directly across the street and destinations are clearly labeled. For our full day in Kyoto, we got a one day subway pass, as we had reserved the free passes to the Imperial Place [easy to do on-line] and wanted to see Nijo Castle, the Downtown and the Gion area. We got to Gion around dusk and did indeed see the apprentice Geisha.

Altogether, we enjoyed the hotel and our visit to Kyoto.

Room tip: Ask for a room that does not directly face the train station.
Date of stay: July 2012