“Value for money”

Hotel Gimmond Kyoto
Ranked #73 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Decent hotel. Typical japanese room sizes - worth the money though. Needs renovation. Good location. Staff friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rajsanyal

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed in 3 hotels while in Japan and the Gimmond was the not only the most expensive one but also the one I liked the least ... Location is good, (walking distance 15min +/- to the Kyoto castle and other tourist areas). But I found the room a bit dated and i hated the bathroom, it was ugly, it looked like a toilet on a plane and smelled moldy... Staff was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My first impression was disappointment. The room is small and just not very cool. But really, who needs cool when you have Kyoto outside your door? The hotel and our room had almost everything I need to make for a comfortable stay. The shower was warm with high pressure - better than mine at home! The tub was short but deep. Nearly every night, I enjoyed soaking away sore legs and feet from hours of walking. And I appreciated the Shiseido products in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable enough. My only real complaint was the pillow, which was not so great.

The location is ideal. The Karasuma-oike subway station is about 2 short blocks away, and the Kyoto station is 3 stops from there (5 - 10 minute ride). Walk in the other direction and it's a short walk to Teramachi Dori, a covered shopping arcade that will lead you to Nishiki Market. Gion and many popular shrines and temples are within walking distance if you like long walks or by the Keihan train line (still some walking involved).

The hotel also has Japanese and Italian restaurants. We had a nice breakfast for a reasonable price at the Italian restaurant. Alternatively, meander down side streets and find a Starbucks on the corner or Karasuma Dori and Rokkaku Dori. You can enjoy Starbucks guilt-free when opens into the grounds of a shrine known as the birthplace of Ikebana.

One important thing to note about Kyoto is that WiFi is hard to find. The hotel has 2 computers in the lobby with 10 minutes of internet for 100 yen. I didn't notice until our last day there that they also offer unlimited WiFi for 500 yen per stay. As a side note, there is WiFi along a long stretch of Shijo Dori. Banners on lamp posts show the name and password.

The bottom line is that I would stay here again. It's clean and comfortable, and the price (booked on Priceline) and location make it a great deal. Wow, look how much I wrote! Guess I miss Kyoto.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rachhess
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed one night in Gimmond and found it to be a clean and convenient stay. The staff was nice and the location pretty decent for sight seeing. Apart from that it was very average. It is a very neutral, business hotel, a place to sleep and nothing else.

I got a cheap deal online - but would never pay the full amount. Honestly I would recommend you to test out the 9 Hours capsule design hotel instead - the location, interior, service and the price is better.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel with my brother in February 2012. Our twin room was surprisingly large by Japanese standard. The staff speak very good English and even offered suggestions for getting around in Kyoto. The best way to get around is by bus, you can buy 1-day Kyoto bus passes from the reception for 500 yens each.

The in-room Wi-Fi internet is very cheap and can be requested at the reception, please make good use of it during your stay.

The breakfast at the hotel's Japanese restaurant (at the basement) was very nice and reasonably priced. This would be a good option if you want something a bit more upmarket and well-located for breakfast.

Won't hesitate to stay there again in our next visit to Kyoto.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hilda S
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We paid for a room with triple beds. It is spacious for Japan standard. But the 3rd bed is converted from a sofa and it is as hard as rock....I am not exaggerating......very very difficult to sleep on it especially for adult. I feel it is unfair to charge the room as triple room and the third person have to suffer sleeping on a rock hard bed.
The location is quite good as it is near to subway line and walking distance to all the shopping area nearby.
Japanese breakfast is of good quality and served in the hotel's Japanese restaurant with good ambiance,it is a bit pricey compare to the many other food available around the hotel

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Enjoyin
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last december. We would have stayed in a cheaper place but because it was going to be cold, we decided to stay here. It was worth staying in this hotel.

The hotel has really nice rooms with all the necessities. They had all kinds of equipments like AC, Humidifier, Air cleaner, Kettle, etc. We loved it. Especially the Humidifier as the air could get a little dry was amazingly useful.

The staff were very friendly, efficient and useful. They always had a smiling face and always very courteous. They could speak good English for Japanese standard. They could explain us everything that we asked for...

The hotel is not in the centre but not very far from the night life district. One could walk to Shijo and Sanjo easily. We walked it all the time, but we like walking. The subway station is only about 2-3minutes walk from the hotel...which was very convenient. but for buses we had to walk a bit.

I would stay in this hotel if i went to Kyoto again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends