“Close to the Station, on the small side...”

APA Hotel Kyoto Eki Horikawadori
Ranked #300 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
“Close to the Station, on the small side...”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

On 4/1/2013 I stayed at this property and was delighted. Check in was prompt, even though there was a line of several people wanting to check in. It was cherry blossom season and the weather was fine, so there were many people wanting to check in and enjoy the great weather. I gave this property a 3 rating for a few reasons. First, though the rooms in Japan generally are rather small anywhere you go compared to European/Western standards, the room I was assigned on the 7th floor seemed painstakingly small, or smaller than normal. I also noticed that the duvet or top quilts seemed rather, well to put it bluntly, out dated. Also, the bed was, to put it politely, solid (hard). I do not mean this as a "complaint" per se because most Japanese sleep on the floor (also solid) on futon and tatami mats. The "bed" was more like a boxspring rather than a mattress. I am comparing my experience to other chain hotels in Japan, so I may be a bit bias however I am writing this review without viewing others before me. I did not experience the breakfast.
Good points; good water pressure, good check in, and the hotel stored my bags for me after I checked out. This was kind and thoughtful and I appreciated not having to carry my things everywhere on my last day. So, three stars.

Room Tip: Shop around. Cheap tickets, Expedia, Booking.com
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
norwich
Reviewed April 7, 2013

On our first attempt at trying to find the hotel it took us a little longer, however once we mastered the route it is so close to the train station. As we were exploring kyoto and the surrounding area everyday this was very handy. The rooms are quite small, this is normal for Japanese hotels. So moving round your room with all your stuff was a little bit tricky. Check in was quick and staff seemed helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shreevie
Ames, Iowa, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel has a great location - 5 min walk from Kyoto station. I stayed there 4 times during my trips, always booking a room with breakfast option. At 70,000 yen per night, not bad at all. The room is small, typical for a business hotel. Window opens. There is a coin operated washer and dryer in the changing room of the communal bath on the top floor. Toiletries include shampoo, conditioner, soap, disposable razor, disposable toothbrush with toothpaste, and hair brush. Slippers are provided with disposable paper inserts. Iron is available upon request. Yukata is also provided. The breakfast is buffet style, with plenty Japanese and Western selections. Staff communicates in English well. The best for me is the big bath on the top floor. There is a large hot bath indoors, a sauna, cold bath, and a smaller hot bath outdoors. Wonderful and empty at 6 a.m., busier in the evenings but I never had an instance where it was too crowded. I always pick this hotel because of the hot bath, and I am always absolutely satisfied.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Olena W
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Reasonably-priced. Room is small like most Jap hotel but sufficient and clean. Good public hot bath area, with outdoor bath. Good room service. Good to stay for business trip sleepover, do not expect more than that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Varese, Italy
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've been in this hotel in August. This hotel was very nice and I've been there two times. I've to say that the first time the room was quite good, while the second time it was small and a little claustrophobic. Just nearby there is the Station (around the corner) and Tourist Information Office and the Kyoto Tower which was a good landmark to spot my hotel from far. The hotel itself was nice, clean and the personnel very kind. I loved the breakfasts there! If I'd come back to Kyoto, I'd take it again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Franz_Zena
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Accessible with an approximately 8 mins walk to Kyoto station. Equipped with an open air bath in the rooftop, it provides real comfort after a day of shopping and even shrine visits, although I must mention the onsen is pretty small and old. Breakfast spread skew more towards the the local preference, mackerels, tofu, miso, etc. Great service from the receptionist!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank luvrui
Patras, Greece
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Pros
------
10 minute walk from Kyoto Station
Good rates
Free wired internet

Cons
-------
Small rooms
Internet connection a bit come-and-go
Small Lobby
As the rooms were small, maids have to leave linens, towels etc in the corridors. Not a nice thing to see
Room with a view to another room, 5 meters away