“A bit out of the way but a quiet place to stay”
Review of Ryokan Yamazaki

Ryokan Yamazaki
Ranked #97 of 396 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I liked my stay at Yamazaki. We were in the Annexe, without any other travellers, so it definitely was quiet. If it were busier, I am not sure how quiet it could have been as the walls were literally paper thin. I know that because our lock jammed and the owner broke into the room by smashing through a paper on the door.

The room was large and comfortable with a kettle and pot for tea. There was access to the internet with a printer at the entrance way.

Our only gripe was that it was a bit off the beaten path. There is a JR bus that travels closeby but the last one leaves Kyoto station at 9pm. Otherwise it is a 30-40mins walk from the closest JR subway station. It was a nice quiet residential area, though, and the prices were cheaper to reflect this.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Janet M

Reviewed June 2, 2009

This was a lovely Ryokan. A little bit out of town and just in the foothills of NW Kyoto but hey, I was on holiday so I was in no rush. The couple who run the place were friendly and extremely helpful. The room I stayed in was ever so slightly tatty but I wasn't paying 4,200 yen for Buckingham Palace. The annexe was comfortable, with a stunning garden, and they have a public bath set up. The showers and toilets are coed but strangely enough the Japanese don't have such severe hang ups about bodies and bodily functions that we in the west do. Free laptop access to the internet any time of the day or night, with a printer attached. The dining room was predominantly used by Japanese, always a good sign, and both the city and JR buses regular as clockwork. Great location for access to Ninnaji, Ryooanji, Kinkakuji and Myoshinji. At Myoshinji's sub temple, Shoen In, they have mediation classes at 930, 1040 and 1330. On the road that leads from the south gate of Myoshinji is a very good class, genuine sumi-e shop (the pyjama like attire the priests wear to work in). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and if I go back to Kyoto I will definitely stay at Yamazaki again

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Beautiful, bright rooms. Lovely staff. Quiet Location. Excellent Value.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

This ryokan has a lovely garden and their own restaurant that serves authentic Kyoto cuisine. The tatami rooms are clean and big enough for a family of four. We stayed in one which included private bath, toilet and a dressing area. The host is polite and is always ready to assist his guests. There is also ample parking in the compound for self-drive travellers.

Although this ryokan is situated 30mins by bus from Kyoto train station and major shopping centres but we like the quiet surroundings with privacy. It is also close to some of the famous temples and the scenic Arashiyama region. I highly recommend a visit to this attraction. It looks absolutely beautiful in autumn.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tulip-cher
Reviewed December 21, 2008

Two experienced travelers to both very fine hotels and basic camping in the woods, my girlfriend and I found this ryokan a lovely stay. I am sorry to read about the person who had the dirty room. All was clean, hosts were delightful, service was great and the garden in the back was superb. Food was pretty good. They even left us a late night snack, per our email request, because we took the last bus out from the train station after an intense day in downtown Kyoto.

A very cool thing about this ryokan is its location. If you are a walker or runner, you will find yourself perfectly located near some of the best temples/estates in the area. (Otherwise the buses will drop you at the door of these old palaces/estates.) After an early breakfast we jogged down the street toward the city (it was spring), took a left, passed a couple excellent temples and then lit into a small forest on our left, before the next temples. We followed a track through the woods up the hillside until we came to what we guessed to be a centuries' old path between these old estates. Running roughly NE we came to the "top" of the golden temple, and walked down into the touristy part, dutifully paying the tariff when we exited after a walk around.

The adventure continued after the temples as we walked through one of the many college areas, with excellent local restaurants, then up a hillside road through a nice residential area, into the wooded hills and some other tourist venues, and then followed the road as it wound back to the street fronting our inn. We found ourselves about a 5 minute jog from the hotel, washed up and had a very nice multi-course dinner.

We stumbled back to bed in the back guest house through the picture-perfect garden. We had gone from garden to suburban road to temples and forests and back again, all in a day.

Room, hosts, food, and location all were just fine. I would recommend this inn to everyone except those who need 4-star accommodations or a very short stroll to their day's destination.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I stayed here after reading the recommendations on tripadvisor and comparing prices. I suppose the moral of that is you get what you pay for. It is cheap.

I reserved by email and had no trouble taking the bus way out of town to the ryokan. I was actually attracted to the idea that it was outside of town in a "quiet country setting." That is an illusion.

I arrived with my bag about 7pm and couldn't find anyone to check in with in the "office." A man in the restaurant kitchen noticed me wandering around and indicated he would check me in. I've never seen such a grease covered cook, it was as though he had dipped his clothing in the fat fryer.

He showed me to a small room in the building above the restaurant. The room was just barely bigger than the two futons which were laid out on the floor. The man apologized for two futons being out and said the maids would put one away tomorrow. The size and the extra futon did not bother me; the bug poison in several places along the wall did.

The man gave me the registration form and said to just give it back in the morning. The room was worn and the hallways looked like a junk store with stuff piled up everywhere. The toilet was down the hall in a room full of toilets and sinks. The shower and baths were in another building. I had to go downstairs, outside and two buildings over to get to the shower. I really didn't mind any of this, although it wasn't the comfort I had hoped for at least it was cheap.

The bad part came when I went to go to bed. I noticed there was debris, (like dirt) on the sheets. I looked closer through the futon and noticed all types of hairs and a nasty sticky stain. I checked the other futon, also full of debris and hairs. YUCK!! They do not wash the futons between customers !!! I covered the pillow with a towel and dressed from head to toe. At that hour, that far out of town I couldn't easily go anywhere else. I had a feeling it was going to get even worse.

The cheap little room faced the street. This not a regular quiet country road, but a major highway. All night long I heard the traffic as though I was sleeping on the road. And I pretty much was.
Before I left in the morning the maids came by. They rolled up one futon and put it in the closet. No cleaning, just rolled up and stored for the next unsuspecting guest!

When I checked out the lady was very friendly but did not ask why I had only stayed one night, when I had reserved for four.
I think the couple that runs the place try as best they can, but for me a noisy sleepless night in obviously dirty conditions is not worth it.

- They do not wash the futon between customers!!!
- The rooms facing the highway are extremely noisy!!!
- One of the buildings is above a restaurant and has bugs!!!
- Often in Ryokans facilities are downstairs or down the hall, but the ones here are extremely inconvenient.

I have stayed in numerous Japanese Ryokans, this is not one of the better ones. There are inexpensive, clean, friendly Ryokans throughout Japan and in Kyoto. There are much better choices than this one for your money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank mclewis
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed at Ryokan Yamazaki for 2 nights in July while travelling with our 2 kids- a teen and a 'tween. Although it is a bus ride out of Kyoto and up into the hills, it was right on the Japan Rail Bus line which is free for railpass users. It was very quiet at night. Also one stop from major temple sites and the Arashiyama area. We stayed in the newer building built in the traditional style with a lovely garden, kitchen for guest use stocked with cold water a necessity that time of year in Kyoto. Rooms quite large- the 4 of us would have been fine in one room but had difficulty communicating this thru online reservations so had two large rooms which didn't cost any more as far as I could tell. Proprietors seemed eager to have foreign guests. English limited but who cares. It wasn't a problem.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyoto
Kyomachiya Ryokan Sakura Honganji
Hotel Sugicho
#133 of 396 in Kyoto
Southern Kyoto
Hanayashiki Ukifuneen

Been to Ryokan Yamazaki? Share your experiences!