“Wish we had a few days (and less kids)”
Review of Ryokan Yamazaki

Ryokan Yamazaki
Ranked #89 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Close to the best wifi we had. JR bus went straight back to the station which was handy
Very good dinner in the restaurant
There was hardly anybody there when we were there which made it even more tranquil than it would have otherwise been.
I and my kids slept fine. My wife didn't have such a good time on the floor

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ucanchoose

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Well we are from China and stayed foe 3 nights. To start with I really think this hotel is far away from the city. But after living there for 3 days, it become my its not that bad, there's bus going directly to JR KYOTO. Among all Japanese hotel I stayed with it became my faborite. The staffs are so friendly and it has an amazing owner. He is very very very fair with us even did not charge us when the first we did not arrive... and arranged lovely room for us. (dan na san always try to speak english with us haha) I definitely give this hotel full score and will stay here if i go to kyoto again. Rooms are big enough and the environment is quiet and nice. That's the japanese life I'd love to enjoy a few more days. BTW they have a lovely restaurant too!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 文静
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

When I read some of the previous reviews I thought twice about giving this ryokan a chance. I'm sure glad I did! Mia and Du Fujishiro have found their calling in the hospitality business.

Our room was large and accommodating with an ensuite bathroom and in room WiFi. Just outside our door was a desktop computer, printer, and a wide selection of travel and tourism materials.

The garden is lovely, and restaurant offerings were tasty. The staff is very helpful and the owners made every effort to provide for our needs.

Unlike other bed and breakfast style lodging, all meals cost extra, but we didn't mind as it worked well with our plans to see sites in town, and the cost per night was quite reasonable even without a meal included.

The ryokan is a bit away from the city center, so if you are not comfortable with traveling by bus, you may prefer something closer in. From Kyoto Station the trip is closer to 45 minutes with stops, and a bit more if the traffic is heavy. Because of the time frame we were concerned we had missed a stop or were on the wrong bus, but if you watch the bus fare sign, when it gets to 250 yen (as of 6/2013) you are getting close. The bus stop is just a short way up the hill from the ryokan which is well-marked with a large sign.

Overall, this is a very nice property with charming hosts, and a great value in Kyoto.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank iikidzmom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

we stay one night at this ryokan and l would have liked to stay more. All the staff were very nice and helpful and the room was nice and spacious. They got a nice restaurant with a nice view on the garden and the food is tasty and well priced. l will recommend this ryokan to anyone visiting Kyoto.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

At the Kyoto station - go to the JR bus terminal and get on the bus that leaves from bus stop JR3. The bus departs every 30 minutes. The last one at 21.00.

To be able to check in, however, you shouldn't take a bus later than 19.30 - or go to the Tourist office just above the stairs of the bus terminal and ask them to call the Ryokan. The bus takes about 40 minutes and stop just 150 meters northwest of the Ryokan. To check in - don't follow the Tripadvisor map (that is where you live, and not the reception). The reception, as well as the restaurant is located at the main road.

Once there we were greeted by the owner and his aunt and auntie (the sweetest people ever)!! He showed us our room, which was really nice and located at the north east corner of the facility. That room is highly recommended!

Outside, there is a wonderful garden and a little stream that is giving a calming sound. Inside, there is air condition (at least in our room), two common toilets, three common showers and one common bathtub. There is a kitchen with a fridge and a microwave oven. Also there is a "coin machine" fridge with drinks (water, beer and soft drinks at supermarket prices). The wifi speed and coverage is really good!

If you have troubles sleeping and want to get to bed very early - bring a pair of earplugs. Since the walls are made of paper, you of course hear other people speaking.

The Ryokan isn't located in the center of Kyoto, but there are things to see and do without going into the city. Here is a suggested itinerary:

Take a walk to the Daikaku-ji temple. Use Google maps to find the hiking way. It's 3,3 km and the last half is really beautiful!

Take a taxi to Kaiten sushi. A restaurant located close to the Golden pavilion. Really good sushi, and not so many non-japanese tourists.

Walk to the Golden pavilion. After that, it's time to rinse all the dirt off and to get some relaxation at the Funaoka onsen. It's about 20 minutes walk - east.

Then - head back west to the main road and grab a taxi back to the Ryokan for dinner. Be sure to be back no later than 19.30. Dinner is great, and I really advice you to try it!!

Over all, we are very pleased with everything and recommend this place to everyone that is looking for a traditional Japanese style "hotel" and who appreciate the wecoming atmosphere.

6  Thank Anders J
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a good base to visit Ryoanji and Kinkakuji. Although it looks quite far away from the center of Kyoto, it is not really the case. And, if you have the JR Pass, you can use the JR bus for free and the bus stops you about 150m from the ryokan. We had a traditional room (without attached bathroom) that looks out to a beautiful Japanese garden, and we opted to have both dinner and Japanese breakfast at the ryokan. Both are really delicious and scrumptious. Eventhough the bathroom was communal, I thought it added to the entire experience. Service was very pleasant and the hosts were accommodating. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLWanderer
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I wanted a Ryokan experience in a city like Kyoto, hence decided on Ryokan Yamazaki. All the other ryokans in the city area were way off the charts for my budget, so the reasonable cost per night at Yamazaki added boost to my decision! We booked the room through email, and the communication was all in English. It took two emails to confirm my reservation!

Access - Directions to the Ryokan is provided on the website itself. The directions given are quite accurate, except that the journey takes about 45 mins instead of 30 mins. You would just need to take JR Bus 3 from the bus interchange just outside of Kyoto Station. Stop at Takahana-cho. Last bus from Kyoto station is at 9pm, so unless you're planning to spend a bomb on taxi, it would be best if you take the last bus back to the Ryokan.

Hospitality - You would think that a ryokan in the outskirts would mean that the people there cannot speak English. Even to my surprise, the kind old granny there speaks relatively good English! Although I tried to speak to her in Japanese (to practice my Jap skills), sometimes she replied me in English (maybe she thought my Japanese was so bad). She, together with the people at the Ryokan, was so warm and welcoming that she felt like my own grandmother! On the day of arrival, she even got one of her staff to drive her to a bus stop that we could take a direct bus to Nijo Castle. We were also treated with tiramisu cake and matcha while waiting for the bus to Kyoto station! We took the opportunity to snap some polaroid shots with her in the garden. One for her and one for ourselves.

Although check-in time on website states 3pm, my sis and I reached at about 11am, and our room was already ready for us! Our room was on the second level on the building and poor Yamazaki-san (I suspect that he is the youngest male in the family and probably the owner of the Ryokan) had to lug our horrendously heavy luggages up the stairs. He was panting after settling our luggages in the room! When he showed us the room, he was so humble and told us to excuse them as the room was just made.

Room - It was actually clean and spacious, we had enough space for our luggages to be placed on each side of our futons. You won't get your usual cushion pillow, but a beaded pillow instead. A small balcony with two seats and a table that overlooked the back side of the ryokan (there was a small stream but a little bit blocked by some tall skinny trees). A kotatsu was even provided! Not forgetting that a Ryokan would never be a ryokan without a green tea set. A hot water dispenser was also provided in the room.

Bathroom - Towels didn't smell, toilet bowl flush system worked well, shower head was working well, hairdryer was provided (although the power was really really really small). A bottled water was also provided in the fridge.

Ryokan grounds - WiFi was provided, Yamazaki-san directed us to the common space outside the room where the WiFi username and password were written. A computer is also available for any guest to use it. Two more kotatsu were in the common space. I guess you could hang out around there if you're feeling sociable. During our stay, I've only seen one couple who stayed in the same building as us. Other guests must have stayed in a different building (we saw them during breakfast).

Breakfast - you have a choice of having a Japanese or Western breakfast. Japanese breakfast is more expensive than the latter, it being 1,050 yen while the latter being 420 yen. You have to let the people know early if you would like breakfast the next day because on nights where you come back late, the granny might already be sleeping. However, it is not recommended to go back late since the last bus from Kyoto station is at 9pm.

I'm not sure if I have covered everything that a traveller would want to know while making a decision on where to stay in Kyoto, but if there is any question or thing I could do to help, please feel free to drop me an email!

And thank you for reading my very lengthy review ;)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family