“This accomodation is located in a good place” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ryokan Yamazaki

Ryokan Yamazaki
Ranked #122 of 363 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Japan
“This accomodation is located in a good place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I must say that this accomodation is located in a good place. It is close to Ninnaji, Ryoanji (stone garden) that is the part of Myoshinji Temple Complex, Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) and Kozanji. All mentioned above temples and Kinkakuji are in the UNESCO Heritage list (!). Well, it will take 15 min by walk to Ninnaji and more - to others, and you can not buy food or go to a restaurant near the accomodation, but people saying that it is too far from the most interesting places of Kyoto just have no idea.

Then, I also must say that it is not a ryokan, but a minsjuku (small private BandB). Ryokans are of much higher standard and much more expensive in Japan. It definitely needs renovation and is not very neat or clean. However, the bed and linens are super clean, the price is right and doesn't double or triple in busy times of sakura blooming or red leaves.

Another point - yes, it is noisy at night.

Useful tip: The last bus (num. 8) going to the ryokan departs from the central Kyoto at 8.55. If you are late for this one, you can take num. 26 that will take you to Ninnaji stop, and then you'll have to walk. Num. 26 runs at least until 10.30.

This is definitely NOT the place if you are looking for a night club or something like that.

I will stay here when I come to Kyoto again. Actually, I already booked 3 nights for me and my parents next April.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WhiteKirin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Even the location is far from town around 30min by bus (I know that before booking) though I really impressed stay here.. So quited and clean. Very good service and friendly owner. You could never find a superior Ryokan at this price (4,200 JPY/night).

Food in their saperated restaurant is very good taste (with high price). It suitable for 1st day you arrive and don't know where to eat around there. Coz every shop is close at 5 pm.

Easy to go to Kinkakuji temple (golden pavillion) and Ryoanji temple (Rock garden). There are the world heritage temples where you should go onnce, especially you must visit Golden pavillion by your own eyes!

• Stayed September 2011
Ayutthaya, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

It's really nice ryokan to stayed even though it's quite far but i think it worth the trip.
I went with my mum, just the 2 of us. The staffs were really nice and I loveee the food in their restaurant! I'm definitely going backkkk.
This ryokan is located near all of the temples, also if you want to go to see all the temples near the ryokan. Just make sure you do all the research so it will be easier when you arrive or you can just ask the information at Kyoto station.

Room Tip: Be prepareee then u will b just finee
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

It is a bit out of the way from the city but close to Arashiyama area and the temples
of Ryoanji, Tenryuji and Kinkakuji and the Sagano Bamboo forest.

I liked the Ambiance. The restaurant was a bit expensive and the service was ok
but the owner was very polite.

If you want to tour the Arashiyama area it is the place to be.

If you want to visit Kiyomizudera, Philosophers walks etc....
It is far

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank Siegfried2009
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

This Ryokan is so far out of the way that I'm so glad we were only here 2 nights. The rooms are spacious and clean and quiet but we came to Kyoto for a good look around and all that is close here are some temples and the bamboo forest. The garden is pleasant, the restaurant is terrible - expensive for poor food. I would not return and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AliRoberts7
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

Whenever I go back to Kyoto, and I will go back, this is where I'll stay.
It's a very cheap place to stay in, but that's by far not its best quality.

If you're the type that likes to go clubbing every night the location of this ryokan might not be very practical. However, if, like me, you're fond of peace and quiteness and feel tired after an entire day of walking around the city, staying at Ryokan Yamazaki will feel like heaven. It might be in the middle of nowhere, but it's certainly a beautiful and quiet place with lots of greenery and many wonderful temples in the vicinity. It also gives the traveler an opportunity to get to know the "real" Japan, this is not a tourist spot. I definitely took great pleasure strolling around and getting to know the area a little better.
There's a convenience store nearby (turn right when you leave the ryokan), as well as a Ramen restaurant (in this case turn left, it's on the other side of the street). The municipal incinerator might be close by but I certainly didn't notice, in fact I slept very well during my stay at the Ryokan Yamazaki and remember loving to wake up to the sound of birds chirping and water running (there was a little stream right outside my bedroom window) .

My room was very spacious and clean. It wasn't modern, but then again this isn't a modern building, it's an old, traditional Japanese house. The room also had a large bathroom, a tv, refrigerator, and a tea set with hot water and tea bags.
Can't say I saw any bugs, even though I stayed there during the summer, but considering the area has lots of trees and the ryokan itself has two gardens it doesn't surprise me to hear some people spotted a few.

The service was wonderful because the people there were wonderful. We arrived at the Ryokan Yamazaki in the evening, because our shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto was delayed, and were graciously received by Yamazaki-san who insisted we rested for a while and gave us a couple of refreshing beverages before checking our reservations and showing us around the place. She didn't speak English very well but it was enough to make herself understood and we didn't have much trouble communicating with her.
We had breakfast at the ryokan's restaurant everyday and once Yamazaki-san offered us a couple of delicious, hand-made onigiri. On the day we left she saw us off and gave us a few gifts (a couple of fans and instant miso soup). People there were truly wonderful, not just Yamazaki-san but everybody that worked there.

Kyoto is a marvelous place to visit, but staying at the Ryokan Yamazaki made our visit truly memorable.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andromeda18_
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

I've been to Kyoto during the peak period and Yamazaki is the only place I can book on Saturday night, after reading the latest reviews, I'm freaking out. However, I have to stay there anyway. Then I found that this ryokan is very nice. The futon were clean and very comfortable. There was some hard powder on the futon but it meant it was clean, wasn't it? The bathroom was very good, well equiped and big. The Japanese breakfast was very delicious and the guy who took care of us was very friendly. The garden was nice as well.
Half an hour ride is not that far as there was no traffic out of the town. It could take longer in town due to traffic.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends