All reviews room attendant traditional ryokan phenomenal experience young woman named public bath personal attendant worth trying room suite kaiseki meal presented beautifully japanese hospitality western breakfast subway station served tea gion district relaxing stay we loved our stay
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

This was a phenomenal experience and one of the highlights of our trip. The dinner and breakfast were both top-notch and the service from top to bottom was exquisite. So grateful we chose this place!!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie O
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

I was superbly looked after on my stay which coincided with the flooding in south west Japan. I arrived very early to get out of the rain and was made welcome and given my room early, and the loan of a big umbrella! Although the word ryokan is not in its name this is a traditional Japanese Inn, and there is no bed in the room - your attendant in her kimono comes in and lays out a futon and takes it away before breakfast. The table you eat on is about 9” off the floor and you site on a cushion down at that level. You need to be able to do that! Although you can’t relax on a bed, there were some normal seats and a table. The bathroom is modern in some ways but the bath is a small square wooden tub let into the floor.

I had the full 10 course japanese dinner, which was the high point of my visit. I had western breakfast.

On checking out I learned that I would not be able to go to my destination in Hiroshima, because Shinkansen had stopped running owing to the floods. The Owner was most helpful in fIxIng alternative travel arrangements for me.

It is well located for access to may places you might want to go to.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2018

Its a classic ryokan situated near the subway and as per other reviews, its worth every dollar. Our attendant was excellent and embodies what great service is all about. Though young in age, she was earnest, pre-empts your questions and attention to details was simply amazing. All this just to ensure that your stay was an amazing one! There's just one issue that we had: the rooms are a little noisy at night - vehicles from the nearby road can be heard but if we omit that fact, its an excellent stay.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2018

It was our first time in Kyoto. So we decided to stay one night at a traditional ryokan. We chose Seikoro because of their service and location. The location was superb as it was near the subway station. However, we took the taxi there and the staff gave us a warm welcome. We could not check-in to the ryokan until 3pm, so we walked to Gion Corner and other places. After checking in, we were greeted with a warm towel, matcha green tea and a snack. The room we got was noisy as it faces the road, but it wasn't a biggie as we slept like pigs that night. After settling in, we changed into our yukatas and I went downstairs to use the public bath. It was very soothing after a long day of walking. After that, we picked our dinner time and food was served. Our room attendant was Sawa, she attended to all our needs and my 6 year old son adores her. The kaiseki dinner was new to us and there were many dishes served. We were overwhelmed by the food and most definitely the attentiveness from Sawa. When we were finished with dessert, Sawa made our bed. The next morning she came again to remove the beds and serve us breakfast. It was a great experience! When we check-out, we received a pack of post cards and origami cranes. On a side note, the rooms were a bit outdated. We definitely recommend this place for those who want an authentic ryokan experience.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2018

Seikoro was a wonderful introduction to the ryokan and kaiseke meal experience. The inn is on a quiet street but very close to the subway. We did hear some traffic noise as our room was on the side of the street next to the river but we slept very comfortably nonetheless. Our room was spacious - main tatami room + separate sitting area + entrance way. The bathroom was also divided - separate wooden tub and shower room + sink area + closed toilet. Room was traditional but included modern features like air-conditioning and room safe. The bath house was great - the women's dressing area was fully stocked with toiletries, hairdryer, elastic hair bands, hair comb. The soaking tub was very relaxing and not too hot. We stayed two nights with breakfast and dinner included. All meals were absolutely delicious and presented beautifully. Our room attendant served us each course, explained what we eating, and after dinner set up the room for sleeping.

Date of stay: May 2018