“Expensive but it was good”
Review of Seikoro Inn

Seikoro Inn
Ranked #97 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Singapore, Singapore
“Expensive but it was good”
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed at the Seikoro Inn during our recent trip to Japan. We wanted to spend a little bit more for a few days and experience some luxury (we'd been going budget for the most part), we also wanted something traditional and authentic, since we we're in Kyoto so we chose Seikoro Inn.

I have to say that staying there was a bit of a culture shock for us but not in a bad way. The staff were very polite, coureous and attentive. It was really a bit over the top for me, I felt like they were fussing over us everytime I walked out of my room or returned to the Inn.

They have a public bath that's apparently made of wood thats very old or something like that, but I didn't think much of it. I've been to other baths, onsens that are much better. To be fair those baths/onsens porbably have a better location, Seikoro is in the city so there's no view or anything special.

The rooms were roomy and nice but the fold the futons up in the morning so you can't relax in bed during the day time as they replace the futons with a table and some cushions. Which I guess is what every other Ryokan does?

Dinner and breakfast was very good, they serve you several courses and its well presented and tastes good. that said I found this over the top as well so we only had dinner once. It was too much to eat for me.

Also, I should mention that they don't do Laundry or have any laundry facilities. Must be another thing that all Ryokans don't do? It wasn't the first Ryokan I've been to that doesn't have laundry services.

Anyway, overall it was a nice and authentic experience. I would recommend doing something like this only if you've never done it before and want to try it. For myself, if I ever I spend this kind of money again, I'll pick a western style hotel, because it would be more convenient and I would feel more comfortable.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 555_Travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Seikoro in mid-November 2007 as part of our honeymoon swing through Asia. We'd started in Hong Kong, traveled through Japan, and ended in Thailand. Besides Seikoro, we also stayed at Yachiyo in Kyoto, and Shojoshin-in in Koyasan. Among the other two ryokan, as well as the several 4 star Western style hotels we stayed at, Seikoro was our clear favorite.

While ryokan are expensive compared to many Western style hotels, Seikoro is in the mid-range for ryokan. This is the mistake I believe one of the other reviewers (pessotto) made. Seikoro (18k yen per person per night) was quite a bit cheaper than the big names like Tawaraya (46k yen), Hiragiya (35k yen), and Sumiya (25k yen). One of the main reasons for the higher cost of ryokans is that the kaiseki dinner and breakfast are included. (There's a nice article on this style of cuisine on the Time Magazine website - just google "kaiseki.") If you stayed at a hotel in NYC, and the charge included dinner at Le Bernadin or Per Se and breakfast at Norma's, you'd factor those in too, right? The meals at Seikoro were delicious and sumptuous to both the eye and tongue.

Aside from the food, the service was phenomenal. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty by the people at the front desk, and the young woman who was assigned to our room. When we walked out to the front door in our slippers, someone would have our shoes ready (how did they remember which ones were ours?!) On the first day, the sky was overcast, and they offered us house umbrellas. I'm having a hard time conveying it, but the attitude of gracious service permeated everything. Finally, while not fluent in English, we had no difficulty conversing with any of the staff.

The condition of Seikoro, and our room specifically, were great. It's not a new construction, but everything was spotless. There was no mustiness at all, unlike the Yachiyo room. We had a wonderful cedar bathtub that I took advantage of. The free internet service in the lobby area was appreciated too.

As you can tell, my wife and I both loved Seikoro. It's not cheap, but we felt it was money well spent. No Westin or Hyatt will give you the experience you'll get in a top notch ryokan, which is what we consider Seikoro to be!

• Liked — Seikoro's kaiseki dinner
  • Disliked — Not applicable
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank arkady8
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed November 9, 2007

I've been there with my husband this summer and I think that is too expensive for the room standard ( about 30.000 yen per night ) . People is very kind but please do not order the dinner because they didn't tell before the cost ( 15.000 yen !! ) . My suggestion : don't waste your money since Japan now is really chip.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pessotto
Vietnam
Reviewed December 6, 2006

With me, Seikoro Inn. is one of the most memorial place during my stay in Kyoto. Two days stayed in Seikoro Inn was just a short time but it made me happy. I still remember the friendly staffs with excellent services. In the early morning, I walked around Seikoro Inn, enjoyed the fresh air, met local people and took many beautiful pictures. It's quite a lovely trip with full of joys and is very similar to Hoi An- my country home in Vietnam.
Some pictures I took with Seikoro Inn's staffs and I want to post them here. I wish I could have another chance to return there.

• Liked — Old style
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — No comments