Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto
$154
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Pool
1,158 results
All reviewsteppanyaki dinnernice hotelshijo karasumaglass doortraditional hotellarge bathroomexcellent roomgood sizebath and showernespresso machinethe hotel staffmajor attractionsfour nightswalking distancenon smoking roomquiet streetshopping area
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was surprised to find the bed so firm when I first sat on it and expected not to be able to get much sleep. However, due to being really tired and taking some Tylenol PM, I slept for about 5 1/2 hours which was as much as I could hope for. Everything else about the place was stellar.

One interesting thing about the room is that the bedroom/TV area is separated from the entryway by a door which helps eliminate hallway noise. The hotel was VERY quiet. Most of the time, it felt like I was the only guest on my floor.

Other pluses for me was a moveable makeup mirror in the bathroom with a regular side and a magnification side and a full length mirror by the door.

Although I was in Japan, the staff had a great command of English. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and at the omelet station, the chef asked me in perfect English, "may I make you an omelet?"

When I checked in, it was late afternoon. Halfway between lunch and dinner, so I couldn't order anything from room service. I was desperate for a coke, but had been walking over 5 miles by this point in time and was only taking a couple hours' break before dinner and more sightseeing so I called the front desk to find out where the nearest vending machine was. Turned out there weren't any in the hotel. Not even any for sale in the gift shop. So if you anticipate wanting to drink any soft drinks you might stop by the convenience store nearby on your way there. There is a mini fridge stocked with one can each of orange juice and apple juice, 2 bottles of water, some beer and teas. And I thought the prices were reasonable. 200 yen (approx. $2 US) for each juice and water.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Pugmama-san
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel room was very spacious from what I can tell. We had a twin room, and it was the size of a standard American hotel room. We had a great view from the room, and I was so excited that the window opened, albeit just a little bit. People mention that the rooms are dated but I couldn't tell and didn't mind! The bathrooms were also huge. There was a Japanese style bathroom in our room which I loved (stool, bucket and low shower head). There is of course a regular shower and a soaking tub for the more Western-minded.

The daily cleaning service was great, and they went to great lengths to make sure the room was perfect (this included changing out the tea set daily and even putting a Kleenix over my boyfriend's glass of water). The staff downstairs was absolutely fabulous, and spoke great English even though I tried to practice my Japanese. They were able to provide us with directions when needed and also helped us send our bags. Absolutely great.

We did not eat on the premises as breakfast was 2500yen/person and looked a little large (buffet style). There are a couple of cafes that do breakfast and some Japanese 24 hour cafes that do Japanese style breakfast (yes!). There was also a convenience store nearby.

Only negative was that the beds were sooo hard. I have never slept on such a hard bed in my life! I did not want to bother the staff so I used the extra futon provided as an additional layer underneath which seemed to help a little bit.

Overall a great stay. Loved this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank donQi
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was actually looking for hotels a little less pricey, but the location seemed perfect for what we were going to do during our short stay in Kyoto.
The rooms are really spacious for being in Japan. They are a little bit dated; maybe a remnant from the bubble years? The rooms have all the amenities you need, and every room has its own Wifi connection. We did not have such a good view, but we were not going to stay so long in the hotel anyway. Note that you normally pay per person in Japan, instead of paying only for the room.

The western breakfast, which we had, was good, but unless you have big breakfasts you should probably opt to go to a local café or buy at the convenient store close by.

The keeper for this hotel is the service. No one was stand offish, but did everything perfect. When there was no taxi, the woman concierge run out (high heels on) to 367 (Torimarudoori?) to get one for us.

The location is a short to medium walk from Yonjodori where most department stores are.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank OPSwede
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Overall the hotel is very nice. The rooms are a bit dated, but clean and very large! Compared to our room in Tokyo, this room was a small apartment! The shower and bathroom were very spacious as well. The hotel staff was amazing and very polite and responsive. Our first night there we heard loud singing. We thought it was the room next door, and called down to ask for them to please ask our neighbor to be quiet. The singing stopped and we went to sleep. The next morning when we were leaving the hotel the manager came up to me and explained it wasn't my neighbor, but I think he said (hard to understand him) it was a room below us (maybe karaoke?), and he was very sorry for the noise and made sure I was able to sleep. It really shocked me that he knew who I was by face (when I called down), and he made sure to follow-up with me. We ate at the hotel restaurant and it was good. Although some of the items on there are outrageously priced. We didn't order those items. The breakfast buffet was very yummy and worth the cost. The only downside to this hotel are the beds. The beds are very hard and have nothing covering the springs inside the mattress. I had to put 3 blankets on the bed so I wouldn't have springs digging into my hip bones and back all night. If the hotel would do a refresh on the decor and get new mattresses, it would be a perfect 10! Please note we did not swim or go to the fitness center.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Conveniently located with very friendly staff. Check in was smooth, the rooms clean and spacious with a great shower! After just a short walk you can easily get a bus to the attractions in east Kyoto.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family