“Good location and friendly and efficient staff”

Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto
Ranked #20 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was actually looking for hotels a little less pricey, but the location seemed perfect for what we were going to do during our short stay in Kyoto.
The rooms are really spacious for being in Japan. They are a little bit dated; maybe a remnant from the bubble years? The rooms have all the amenities you need, and every room has its own Wifi connection. We did not have such a good view, but we were not going to stay so long in the hotel anyway. Note that you normally pay per person in Japan, instead of paying only for the room.

The western breakfast, which we had, was good, but unless you have big breakfasts you should probably opt to go to a local café or buy at the convenient store close by.

The keeper for this hotel is the service. No one was stand offish, but did everything perfect. When there was no taxi, the woman concierge run out (high heels on) to 367 (Torimarudoori?) to get one for us.

The location is a short to medium walk from Yonjodori where most department stores are.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank OPSwede
There are newer reviews for Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Overall the hotel is very nice. The rooms are a bit dated, but clean and very large! Compared to our room in Tokyo, this room was a small apartment! The shower and bathroom were very spacious as well. The hotel staff was amazing and very polite and responsive. Our first night there we heard loud singing. We thought it was the room next door, and called down to ask for them to please ask our neighbor to be quiet. The singing stopped and we went to sleep. The next morning when we were leaving the hotel the manager came up to me and explained it wasn't my neighbor, but I think he said (hard to understand him) it was a room below us (maybe karaoke?), and he was very sorry for the noise and made sure I was able to sleep. It really shocked me that he knew who I was by face (when I called down), and he made sure to follow-up with me. We ate at the hotel restaurant and it was good. Although some of the items on there are outrageously priced. We didn't order those items. The breakfast buffet was very yummy and worth the cost. The only downside to this hotel are the beds. The beds are very hard and have nothing covering the springs inside the mattress. I had to put 3 blankets on the bed so I wouldn't have springs digging into my hip bones and back all night. If the hotel would do a refresh on the decor and get new mattresses, it would be a perfect 10! Please note we did not swim or go to the fitness center.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Conveniently located with very friendly staff. Check in was smooth, the rooms clean and spacious with a great shower! After just a short walk you can easily get a bus to the attractions in east Kyoto.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights while on business in Kyoto. On getting to my hotel room I realized that I had been given a smoking room. To be honest I cannot remember if I had stated a preference when I made my booking so this may not have been the hotel's fault. I went down to the front desk to request a room change. I was told that all non-smoking rooms were filled that night but that they would switch me for the remaining 4 nights of my stay. This they did. Overall, I was very impressed with high quality of customer service at this hotel. The hotel was very well staffed and staff always greeted you with a smile and bow whenever they saw you. The doorman also handed me an umbrella as I was leaving the hotel one afternoon as it had just started to rain. We used the concierge service once and was a little surprised that it was not staffed by someone with a better command of English. Having said that the young lady staffing the desk was very helpful and was able to provide us with all the information we wanted. The room was very clean, spacious, and well appointed - complimentary razor, toothbrush etc provided. The shower was very spacious which I liked. The hotel bar on the second floor of the hotel was particularly comfortable and we enjoyed a few night caps there. The hotel has a restaurant and gift shop, neither of which we used. The hotel is in a good location with numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance. There is also a subway stop about a 5 minute walk away. Overall, I had a good experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank GeogProfOH
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Nikko Princess. The hotel is fairly central, but on a quiet street. Our room was comfortable. The bed seemed hard at first, but turned out to be OK. The concierge gave us a lot of help. The Western breakfast had a wide range of choices--excellent croissants and other pastries, fresh fruit, bacon and eggs and many other choices.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Steven Z
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the hotel: great location, luxury hotel with all amenities. The staff are courteous, pleasant and helpful. Although close to the main streets it is located in a small street and very quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crulajk
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed three nights here during my visit to Japan months ago. A little dated from what I expected, old fashion but very well maintained. Good size of twin bedroom with big window, bright and comfortable. Bathroom was as clean as the bedroom with separated bathtub and shower area. I found this quite helpful especially for the local guests and the seniors. (A stool was also available for the Japanese style of bathing…)
One of the reasons I always appreciated about Japanese hotels was their attention for details. This hotel offered unique kind of amenities, including the “hair-friendly” hair dryer with a note telling you how to use it:“this product frees up your hands from holding the dryer, allowing two hands to style your hair”; the all natural “Awafuru Eco Soap”; even an alarm clock, bath salts….

I did not take breakfast here, as it was a bit pricey for me. I went to visit the café close by the hotel for my first meal in the morning.

Staffs were polite and helpful. Location was great, very convenient as the sub-way station and JR station were just within short walking distance. A convenience store at the corner of the street became my favorite spot for late night snack. Their “關東煮/Oden” was so good that warmed me up at winter nights.

Will consider coming back for my next visit.

Remarks: Taxi from this hotel to the Kyoto Station was between 850-950JP yens.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple