“Nice hotel with outstanding customer service”

Ranked #19 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Toledo, Ohio
“Nice hotel with outstanding customer service”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights while on business in Kyoto. On getting to my hotel room I realized that I had been given a smoking room. To be honest I cannot remember if I had stated a preference when I made my booking so this may not have been the hotel's fault. I went down to the front desk to request a room change. I was told that all non-smoking rooms were filled that night but that they would switch me for the remaining 4 nights of my stay. This they did. Overall, I was very impressed with high quality of customer service at this hotel. The hotel was very well staffed and staff always greeted you with a smile and bow whenever they saw you. The doorman also handed me an umbrella as I was leaving the hotel one afternoon as it had just started to rain. We used the concierge service once and was a little surprised that it was not staffed by someone with a better command of English. Having said that the young lady staffing the desk was very helpful and was able to provide us with all the information we wanted. The room was very clean, spacious, and well appointed - complimentary razor, toothbrush etc provided. The shower was very spacious which I liked. The hotel bar on the second floor of the hotel was particularly comfortable and we enjoyed a few night caps there. The hotel has a restaurant and gift shop, neither of which we used. The hotel is in a good location with numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance. There is also a subway stop about a 5 minute walk away. Overall, I had a good experience at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank GeogProfOH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
State College, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Nikko Princess. The hotel is fairly central, but on a quiet street. Our room was comfortable. The bed seemed hard at first, but turned out to be OK. The concierge gave us a lot of help. The Western breakfast had a wide range of choices--excellent croissants and other pastries, fresh fruit, bacon and eggs and many other choices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steven Z
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the hotel: great location, luxury hotel with all amenities. The staff are courteous, pleasant and helpful. Although close to the main streets it is located in a small street and very quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crulajk
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed three nights here during my visit to Japan months ago. A little dated from what I expected, old fashion but very well maintained. Good size of twin bedroom with big window, bright and comfortable. Bathroom was as clean as the bedroom with separated bathtub and shower area. I found this quite helpful especially for the local guests and the seniors. (A stool was also available for the Japanese style of bathing…)
One of the reasons I always appreciated about Japanese hotels was their attention for details. This hotel offered unique kind of amenities, including the “hair-friendly” hair dryer with a note telling you how to use it:“this product frees up your hands from holding the dryer, allowing two hands to style your hair”; the all natural “Awafuru Eco Soap”; even an alarm clock, bath salts….

I did not take breakfast here, as it was a bit pricey for me. I went to visit the café close by the hotel for my first meal in the morning.

Staffs were polite and helpful. Location was great, very convenient as the sub-way station and JR station were just within short walking distance. A convenience store at the corner of the street became my favorite spot for late night snack. Their “關東煮/Oden” was so good that warmed me up at winter nights.

Will consider coming back for my next visit.

Remarks: Taxi from this hotel to the Kyoto Station was between 850-950JP yens.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amber201083
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I spent three nights here a few weeks ago. What a great place. This is located in "central kyoto". The staff is excellent and friendly and most speak English. My room was large and very clean. Free wifi in the room was great with good signal. The hotel is about a 15 mins walk to Kyoto station (cab fare is about $8 US one way) and 20 mins walk to the Gion district and about 30 mins walk to some of the shrines/temples should you choose to walk to them. There is a 7-11 and veloce cafe nearby for late/early food options. The breakfast buffet was a bit pricey, but I found I could get many of the same items a la carte for slightly less. We booked two tours through the concierge and they were very helpful in arranging everything.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again. It was the best hotel during my 10 day stay in Japan.

Bonus tip, instead of eating at the main shopping drag every night, one evening see some of the cozy restaurants along some of the smaller streets near the hotel as there were some gems along those blocks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NikG76
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear NikG76

Thank you for your visit to Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto.
It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
We are glad you like our location and complimentary Wi-Fi in the room.
We are looking forward to serving you again soon.

Yours sincerely

Public Relations Manager
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 6 nights in May, 2013. Nice, safe location, within 5-10 minutes walking distance from subway stations and restaurants.

We found the service to be excellent. The concierge desk could not have been more helpful! We had an issue when we arrived there (not with the hotel) and they were exceptionally accommodating in resolving our problem when it would have been quite difficult for us to do so ourselves. They were very friendly and were also very helpful with all the normal "touristy" questions of where to go, how to get there and what to do, etc. It was a fun trip for us and our first visit to Japan, before journeying on to China.

The room was very nice and clean We did have a safe in the room, which was good. Overall, we thought the Nikko Princess was an excellent choice at a fair price.

Room Tip: We were in Room 1009.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank unc66
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear unc66

We thank you for choosing Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto
for your vacation destination and we sincerely hope your stay was pleasant.

We hope that we can serve you again.

Yours sincerely

Public Relatons Manager
Hotel NIkko Princess Kyoto
New Delhi,India
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Hotel itself was very good- pleasant rooms, atmosphere- an enjoyable stay . Japan is a very safe place, still a safe in the room would have been useful . Its a drag to come down to the Reception every time . Also I tried very hard with different people to register as a Frequent Guest for the Hotel privilege programme but they were unable to do it !

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Honeygatherer
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Honeygatherer

On behalf of Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, please accept my apology for the inconveniences experienced at our hotel in March.

We would like to let you know that we are in the process of upgrading guest rooms and
will be putting a safe in each room by the middle of May.
In regards to frequent guests for the hotel privilege program, JAL Hotels and Okura Hotels & Resorts have launched new membership program "One Harmony" since 1st of April, 2013.
Online application is also available. Please refer the following URL.

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay.

Kind regards