“Convenient and comfortable…”

Ranked #19 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Toronto, Canada
“Convenient and comfortable…”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed three nights here during my visit to Japan months ago. A little dated from what I expected, old fashion but very well maintained. Good size of twin bedroom with big window, bright and comfortable. Bathroom was as clean as the bedroom with separated bathtub and shower area. I found this quite helpful especially for the local guests and the seniors. (A stool was also available for the Japanese style of bathing…)
One of the reasons I always appreciated about Japanese hotels was their attention for details. This hotel offered unique kind of amenities, including the “hair-friendly” hair dryer with a note telling you how to use it:“this product frees up your hands from holding the dryer, allowing two hands to style your hair”; the all natural “Awafuru Eco Soap”; even an alarm clock, bath salts….

I did not take breakfast here, as it was a bit pricey for me. I went to visit the café close by the hotel for my first meal in the morning.

Staffs were polite and helpful. Location was great, very convenient as the sub-way station and JR station were just within short walking distance. A convenience store at the corner of the street became my favorite spot for late night snack. Their “關東煮/Oden” was so good that warmed me up at winter nights.

Will consider coming back for my next visit.

Remarks: Taxi from this hotel to the Kyoto Station was between 850-950JP yens.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amber201083

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I spent three nights here a few weeks ago. What a great place. This is located in "central kyoto". The staff is excellent and friendly and most speak English. My room was large and very clean. Free wifi in the room was great with good signal. The hotel is about a 15 mins walk to Kyoto station (cab fare is about $8 US one way) and 20 mins walk to the Gion district and about 30 mins walk to some of the shrines/temples should you choose to walk to them. There is a 7-11 and veloce cafe nearby for late/early food options. The breakfast buffet was a bit pricey, but I found I could get many of the same items a la carte for slightly less. We booked two tours through the concierge and they were very helpful in arranging everything.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again. It was the best hotel during my 10 day stay in Japan.

Bonus tip, instead of eating at the main shopping drag every night, one evening see some of the cozy restaurants along some of the smaller streets near the hotel as there were some gems along those blocks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NikG76
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear NikG76

Thank you for your visit to Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto.
It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
We are glad you like our location and complimentary Wi-Fi in the room.
We are looking forward to serving you again soon.

Yours sincerely

Public Relations Manager
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 6 nights in May, 2013. Nice, safe location, within 5-10 minutes walking distance from subway stations and restaurants.

We found the service to be excellent. The concierge desk could not have been more helpful! We had an issue when we arrived there (not with the hotel) and they were exceptionally accommodating in resolving our problem when it would have been quite difficult for us to do so ourselves. They were very friendly and were also very helpful with all the normal "touristy" questions of where to go, how to get there and what to do, etc. It was a fun trip for us and our first visit to Japan, before journeying on to China.

The room was very nice and clean We did have a safe in the room, which was good. Overall, we thought the Nikko Princess was an excellent choice at a fair price.

Room Tip: We were in Room 1009.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank unc66
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear unc66

We thank you for choosing Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto
for your vacation destination and we sincerely hope your stay was pleasant.

We hope that we can serve you again.

Yours sincerely

Public Relatons Manager
Hotel NIkko Princess Kyoto
New Delhi,India
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Hotel itself was very good- pleasant rooms, atmosphere- an enjoyable stay . Japan is a very safe place, still a safe in the room would have been useful . Its a drag to come down to the Reception every time . Also I tried very hard with different people to register as a Frequent Guest for the Hotel privilege programme but they were unable to do it !

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Honeygatherer
Nakagawa_PR, 広報担当マネージャー at Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Honeygatherer

On behalf of Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, please accept my apology for the inconveniences experienced at our hotel in March.

We would like to let you know that we are in the process of upgrading guest rooms and
will be putting a safe in each room by the middle of May.
In regards to frequent guests for the hotel privilege program, JAL Hotels and Okura Hotels & Resorts have launched new membership program "One Harmony" since 1st of April, 2013.
Online application is also available. Please refer the following URL.

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay.

Kind regards

Public Relations Manager
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Nice hotel with all the amenities including free wi-fi. Each room also had coffee/tea-making facilities as well as a refrigerator. The hotel did have an ice-making machine on the floor, but no iron nor ironing board.

With all the temples and shrines throughout the country, it would be impossible to see them all; however, the Bukkoji Temple is just down the street and is very nice.

The location is close to public transportation and the shopping and dining areas of the city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jwjwjwjw1
Nieuwerkerk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Very good experience with family. The bathroom is quite unique in design and size.
Location is convenient, there is 24hr supermarket across the street, walking distance to the old temples.
What we find excellent was the well trained staff and their fine tuned approach to the guest.
Not pushing but always ready to offer service and greeting with smiles.
We want to come back to this hotel every year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Hiro A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at the end of a business trip, and I'd happily go back.

The person checking me in spoke little to no English to speak of, but we muddled through. If I had any particular needs I'd be more concerned but I guess others would then have been available.

The room was neat, not too small and well equipped, with the exception of having virtually no accessible power points for laptop, chargers etc. The wi-fi was free with a good signal, which was well appreciated.

I ate at the 'traditional'Japanese restaurant 'Sagano' and the Teppanyaki one 'Hoen'. In the former, spoken English was again at a premium. Only part of the menu was available in English, which was a shame, but with some pointing I got a nice meal and the service was typically Japanese - wonderful. I was a bit reluctant to go to Hoen as a single, but went and had a great time. Again, the service was exquisite. The menu (at least the one I was shown) was fully bilingual, so I was able to choose with confidence. The chef had enough English to make the Teppanyaki experience good, without it feeling like I was back home.

The Cafe Amber breakfasts were nothing special buffets and probably a bit over-priced at 2,100 yen.

One of the best experiences I had was when I ventured outside for a walk, intending to dodge the rain that was on-and-off that morning. I had gone maybe 20m metres when the doorman RAN after me with a hotel umbrella! Where else would that happen?

The hotel is within easy walking distance of downtown and the Nishiki markets, and maybe 5 minutes walk to the Shijo metro station, which can take you almost anywhere else you need to go. It was a 640 yen taxi fare from Kyoto Station when I arrived on a Sunday and 850 back to the station when I left.

All in all a very enjoyable experience and I'd recommend to anyone wanting to stay in Kyoto.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business