“Comfortable Hotel off the beaten track” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kyoto Brighton Hotel

Ranked #20 of 363 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Comfortable Hotel off the beaten track”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This was our last stop in Japan, we stayed here for one night. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable, and the staff are very friendly. No concerns about noise, but I share the observations about the price of the food compared to other establishments. The kids did enjoy the opportunity to have western style dinner for room service dinner, a welcome diversion after a week of rice and fish. Would stay there again, the size of the rooms is worth the inconvenience of the location when travelling with kids.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellen L
KyotoBrightonHotel, マネージャー at Kyoto Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Ellen L

We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.
Great to hear that you liked our large guest room, and staff service and very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. We certainly appreciate you pointing out the issues you felt for us to review (the price of the food).
Otherwise, we trust you had a nice stay with us and we certainly look forward to an opportunity to welcoming you again in the future.

Kyoto Brighton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
india
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We chose this hotel due to the positive reviews on tripadvisor.

The hotel itself is decent, nothing fantastic but comfortable enough.
We had a room with 2 twins/doubles for 2 adults and 2 kids. The room was decent, slightly dated, but sufficiently clean and quiet. Didnt have b/fast included nor did we try it.

The reason I gave it an average and not good rating is the Location!
Yes, they do run a shuttle to the nearest subway, but truth is that to get to where ever you need to , you would have to take a train to the main kyoto station and then connect there on for where ever else! Which works if I am in Kyoto for a week, but not if I am there for 3 days, where TIME is a major constraint.
As a result we opted for the expensive options of cabs with 2 kids and max 20 mins to anywhere (temples) over the journey of shuttle- train to kyoto-another train of atleast an hour.

The staff is sweet and helpful as in most other hotels in Japan. I never had a bad experience anywhere except Best Western Takayama.

If you can mentally prepare for the extra expense of cabs beforehand or have atleast a week to 10 days so can sightsee at a leisurely space, am not sure would stay here again
Also wasnt so fabulousas a hotel, to make me feel that worth it to stay and be in an offbeat area with nothing around.

However, maybe without kids, it wouldnt be so bad to trudge subway to subway so a bit relative I think.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank lm1900
Dear Im 1900

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you and your family have felt and that shuttle bus service did not meet your needs.

Guest reviews such as yours and others help us improve on such points (e.g in the future, we might be able to expanding our shuttle bus destinations to other locations in Kyoto) thus we thank you again for your comments and hopefully you can come to Kyoto for longer timeframe to enjoy the city.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Yep it's off the beaten path but there's a free shuttle that runs to and from a main subway every 20 minutes ON THE DOT. Subways and buses are easy to use, and we only took taxis at night if we were tired.

We stayed at Brighton for two weeks while visiting our son who lives in Yamashina. Yah my wife is a little nuts with the money but what the hell.

Our room was on the second floor directly over the reception desk. Noise. ..none.

Staff incredibly helpful and friendly. ..almost ridiculously so.

Room was beautiul, clean, bright and quiet. The shower great...and the Toto Washlet toilet...welll I'm buying one when we get home!

There IS WiFi in the room just ask and they'll give you an Airport and password free. Also WiFi in lobby and conference center.

Our solution to TV being mostly in Japanese was to watch movies on YouTube on my wife's ipad...also CNN for news and other programming when/if needed.

Bed is perfect a comfy futon and two perfect pillows each- one firm one soft.

One minor flaw...food prices ridiculously high. Good thing there's a 7-11 two blocks away for morning coffee and rolls. I refuse to pay 50 bucks for two simple breakfasts.

That being said this place is 5 star and we'd stay here again.

Btw..if this is your first trip to Japan you'll love it all...except sticker shock on food prices.

1 Thank Rob G
KyotoBrightonHotel, マネージャー at Kyoto Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dera Rob G

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our hotel.
I am so happy to hear that our location, staff service, room facilities could meet your high expectation.
We will continue to work on better services and look forward to having you back here again in the near future.
Unfortunately, as you pointed out, food prices tend to be pricy in Japan, next time when you are around, please don’t hesitate to utilize our concierge to find food recommendation, site seeing location to make your stay in Japan more comforting and enjoyable.

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We are professional travelers, traveling about 4 months a year. We normally don't complain, but this time is exceptional.
The room was a nice size and the staff is over friendly, but the carpets on the hall ways are stained and torn,
Our room normally was clean besides a stain on the sheet (I believe it was clean, but still there was a stain that wasn't removed by washing it).
We arrived at April 20th when the Us was very agitated, including us about the terror attack in Boston, so we tried to find an English speaking channel on the tv. There was only one channel, the CNN which normally speaking is enough for us, however the quality of the picture was terrible.
We called the front desk and told them that, a few minutes later a nice employee of the hotel came to our room, searched for the problem and after half an hour called somebody, spoke Japanese, and than explained to me that the problem is weather related, and I told him not to worry about that, and I felt sorry for the apologizing guy.
The next morning when we woke up the weather was still very bad, so was the picture quality of CNN. We left the hotel for the day, we came back at around 4pm, at this time the weather was beautiful and sunny. I was eager to go to my room to see the latest news and the development on the Boston terrorist attack. But surprise, weather beautiful, CNN bad picture. So I called the front desk again and told them about the beautiful weather and the bad picture. They send another guy, after half an hour of trying to fix the tv he apologized and told me that the picture is very unclear on my tv. He left and I got a call from the front desk, they gave me two options: to fix my tv when I will leave for dinner, or to move me to another room. I didn't want to go through the hassle of repacking again so I choose the option of fixing it during my dinner break. I left for dinner and when I came back at 10 pm, surprisingly the tv wasn't fixed and I have a message from the front desk that they are willing to move me now. By now it's 10 o'clock at night and I'm tired and want to go to sleep. The next morning I have only one day left so I choose not to move.
The lobby of the hotel is nice and huge but you can sit only on a small area, the other part of the lobby you have to order something. The drinks are very, very expensive.
The breakfast to is very, very expensive when considering what you get (one of the worst values you can get).
I hope that the hotel will earn something from this review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank EstherD
Dear EstherD
Thank you very much for your valuable comments regarding your recent stay at the Kyoto Brighton Hotel.
We were disappointed to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and giving you unpleasant feelings from your arrival and during stay at the hotel.
I do wish to clarify that the CNN international TV channel picture was terrible and I sincerely apologize for this accident. The hotel offers a complimentary CNN TV channel, however this is separate from normal TV channels, it seems there was something trouble with the signal from TV distributor, not for the bad weather related.
Without knowing your full details, I am unable to review your bill at the bar lounge. The price of restaurant and bar lounge is quite normal in Kyoto. I am very confident that our buffet breakfast is on par with the best in the city in terms of quality and price.

We will give proper training opportunities to our Front Desk team members in order to improve the quality of our customer service and provide memorable stays in the hotel. In terms of other hardware related issue (the TV, the sheets, and the carpets), we do try to make improvements based on customer reviews such as yours. It is not our intention to have guest fly all over to Japan to feel unpleasant.

Again, thank you very much for your time to give us your valuable feedback and we keep focusing on feedback from our customers to improve our level of service.

We do hope that in spite of this, you will return to the Kyoto Brighton Hotel on your next visit to Japan, when you may rest assured of an experience that will meet your expectations.

Ken Fujimoto
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. It was rated as one of the top 10 hotels in kyoto and the rate was quite expensive (>250€/night). We also considered Hyatt but we went to Brighton because Hyatt seemed to be very offside.

We arrived and indeed the service was really friendly (near to over-friendly). No complaints so far.

What's really shocking is the room. The 80ies called and want their room back. It's near to unbelivable, the carpet looks as it hasn't been changed since 30 years and it's really dark. You definitely don't want to spend time in this room. Rooms are also very loud because restaurants and cafes with a piano player are located in the inside and it's very noisy through the door. The room would be a 2* room in Germany.

The room was clean, but we really regretted that we didn't stay longer in La Suite Kobe (and have a day trip to kyoto) where we got an absolutely super-awesome room for far less money (!).

Location is near to imperial palace, but that's it. You need a (quite expensive) taxi to nearly everywhere.

So, the good service remains the only good thing about this hotel. Price/Value is definitely ridiculous.

I definitely wouldn't ever stay in this hotel again until they have a complete makeover.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ThomasTravelTester
KyotoBrightonHotel, マネージャー at Kyoto Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Segler,
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about your recent stay at Kyoto Brighton Hotel. We are very regretful that we failed to live up to your expectation. In 2010, we conducted guest room renovation. However, there are few rooms not yet renovated called the “Separate twin”. Your comments on the guest room condition have been shared with our respective managers and we are planning to renovate the separate twin in next 2 years. We would hope that you would consider giving us a second chance to make amends.
Again, we are very greatful for your feedback and we will be making improvements going forward.

Kind regards
Ken Fujimoto
Room sales manager
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great hotel
It's best points are the staff.
Always friendly & willing to help.
We lost a case in a taxi on route to various sights.
The concierge at the hotel were amazing and tracked down the taxi that we lost it in. They telephoned me several times with updates and rang and confirmed when they retrieved the case within a matter of hours.
And organised for to be sent to out next address the following day.
Couldn't thank them enough and with great, personal, helpful service would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KyotoBrightonHotel, マネージャー at Kyoto Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Family455

It is our great pleasure to hear that we were able to help you.
We are very much looking forward to serving you again in the near future.

Concierges
Kyoto Brighton Hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts about our hotel and especially our staff. I have taken the liberty to share your feedback with three great concierges that have been with Kyoto Brighton Hotel for many years. We hope to see you back soon again.

All the Best,

Room Sales manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

This wasn't our first choice hotel for our trip to Kyoto but it turned out to be a fantastic choice. Hotel is a lot cosier than some of the photos suggest and it is very very Japanese. English language skills were wanting in areas outside the front desk (restaurants, housekeeping, etc.) but service was excellent and staff were always attentive and willing to help (e.g. front desk staff asking the taxi driver to "please bring these clueless folk to a Starbucks in Gion for breakfast as their kids haven't really gotten into the whole Japanese breakfast thing").

Decor felt a bit 1980s Japan, but with a nice 21st century update. So it's still got that vibe of being a bit opulent in that Japanese eighties bubble way, but it's not so dated at the same time, so you don't feel like you're trapped in some time warp. But it is definitely a bit of a throwback to a more decadent period in Japan - and quite a bit of an experience to observe.

Rooms were very well appointed. Wifi worked. Air-conditioning controls in Japanese (no English help...), room safe had electrical sockets inside so you can charge up your iPhones and iPads. Beds were very comfortable and housekeeping has a list of complimentary "extras" too long to describe (our kids went for the ice pillow options....resulting in wet mattresses the next morning). Bathroom was Japanese style though - with the wet shower area located right next to the bath.

Tried the "Western" restaurant - decent, nothing to shout about and then went for the Teppanyaki option the following night which was superb. Loads of local Japanese clientele spending close to £100+ per head on the dinner course, which was a fantastic intimate experience.

So whilst we wanted to try one of the hipper boutique hotels - this turned out to be a great family option for us (family of 4 with kids 11 and 7). A bit on the pricier side of things, but kids thoroughly enjoyed returning to their oasis after long long walks about in Kyoto.

Last bit on location. Not great but if you're fine hopping into a cab - trips to Gion etc were 1200-1600 yen. Trip back to Kyoto station was just under 2000 yen. Not much to do immediately outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Check for hints of cigarette smoke. Ours was fine but we did catch a whiff of tobacco in the air whe...