“A luxurious 5 star hotel at 3 star prices, position, surroundings excellent.”
Review of New Miyako Hotel

New Miyako Hotel
Ranked #50 of 396 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We had a package with the bullet train. This hotel was the one we chose. Knowing only the outside photograph and feedback from Trip Advisor, that was the extent of our knowledge.
Well, it was not the eye catching hotel from the outside, but enter those doors you are entering a tranquill, luxurious oasis. The hotel is built around a glass area impersonating the louvre, with the area occupied with fountains, running water, sparkling at night when lit up. The sound of the water is so soothing and restful after a busy day sightseeing.
The hotel room was spacious, had good sized bathroom and accessories.
The position was opposite the train station and Hub Mall, tours took off from here also. A good place to base yourself.
I would highly recommend this hotel, it enhanced our stay in Kyoto and made the experience here wanting to return. We will most definitely return to this hotel if we get the chance to return to Japan. An excellent experience. This is a better hotel than those I have stayed in UK, Europe, Germany, Ireland, USA. Your wont be disappointed.

Also if I can say that the Trip Advisor site has proven invaluable for my travels. I use it for everything. I rate reviews with more relevance than some of the tourist blurb you get. Thank you again for this site.

sincerely Julie Wilkinson
New Zealand

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank granlie
Write a ReviewReviews (2,211)

Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed for three nights with husband and teenage son (15). Yes, its a large hotel and therefore slightly on the impersonal side, and there is no gym (not a worry for me). Our room was non smoking and my other half who is very sensitive to smoke was very happy. We had an older room(they are busy upgrading the whole hotel) but it was large and clean and I didnt come all the way to Japan to look at my room. Internet free, nice yukatas to wear, and a large shop in the basement if you were too lazy to shop elsewhere or for last minute gifts! There is also a beauty salon. I am not at all sure where people are 'coming from' when they moan about the location. Yes, it is very close to the station, although a tad tricky to find it when arriving on the Shinkansen so make sure you check. We ate a good cheap breakfast at the shop directly across the crossing from hotel to station on the left. Very cheerful in there, and much cheaper than the hotel., Our room overlooked the fountain courtyard which was pretty. No train noise. As to the station itself, it is almost a leisure destination in its own right! Check out lots of good restaurants after a days sightseeing; marvel at the escalator that takes you up to the skywalk. Shop at Isetan. Have a doughnut in the atrium etc. Shop shop shop...It is also a good base - several temples in walking distance, and the rest easily got to by taxi or train., We liked the Kenniji as it was very quiet- tricky to find though! The doormen were delightful by the way- real stars. So, in summary, its central, reasonable and near the station. If a flashy room is important, upgrade, but check out the ordinary room first!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Stayed there for 3 nights on business. Good location as it is right across the street from the train station so yuo have access to the trains and buses. Also lots of shops and restaurants close by in and around the station.

The rooms are a bit larger than average and are clean. Staff was friendly. Tons of tourists.

Negatives include:
- smelled smoke from other guests even though I was in a non-smoking floor or corridor
- no gym
- right by the train station so you hear the trains
- the wing I stayed at was older so the rooms needed some updating

In summary, I would say it was okay for the average business traveler. If I were to come back, I would not stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank justinrchan
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at the Miyako hotel when I was in kyoto. It is a very nice hotel that has 3 resturants, a duty free shop where you can buy kyoto goods and a massage room. Staff were very friendly and the rooms were spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed August 22, 2009

The name New Miyako hotel is quite an understatement. It was an old hotel situated near the Kyoto train station. The check in was slow because the lady who checked us in found it difficult for some reason. Was not sure why and she could not speak English quite well so did not bother to ask.

The hotel was quite large with Japanese locals wanting to see the sights of Kyoto. We were sent to a room and it smelt like cigarettes with a view overlooking a construction site. The toilets were portable installed to the room which was mundane. The cigarette smell was overwhelming so we were asked to be move in to a non smoking area. The service was quite prompt and we went to a new room.

The room's furnishing and facilities were old and not modern, but bearable. The hotel is across the Kyoto station which was convenient, But the train station is huge so it is quite a long walk.

Kyoto train station is another world. There are so many restaurants and shopping, it was like a mini city itself. Much better than Tokyo.

Only book this hotel if you don't mind simple hotel amenities and accomodation and want a good location.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I have choosen this hotel because of the location. The hotel is located in front of the Jr station and Kintetsu station in Kyoto.
Kyoto was the base of my sightseeing and I have stayed 4 nights. The Hotel has two wings. The old wing has basic rooms and the new wing has brand new rooms, more spacious and charming: I have been accommodated in the old wing probably because I have found a special price on the internet. I did not ask for an upgrade (as suggested by other travellers) because normally I use the room just to sleep and the most important thing to me is that the room is clean. But If you wish to have a better experience yes, go for an upgrade.
The staff was really helpful and everybody was so attentive. Hotel has also a business center with two internet corner that guests can use for free for max 30 minutes. In a big hotel like that 2 computers are not sufficient. I suggest the management to give free internet access to all the rooms, this will be easier also for the clerks at the reception always busy with this internet keys.... I did not try the restaurants because they seemed a little overpriced. Kyoto has many restaurants and even if you don't want to walk downtown you just cross the road and in the Train station you have a huge choice of restaurant.. (some of them also very good...)
I recommend this hotel to all the people interested in the location, this is really convenient if you want to use the shinkanzen train. And also because in front of the station you have the underground and the terminal for the buses. I missed to talk about the nice shop they have in the hotel. You will find souvenirs and everything you might need during your stay... and the prices are really affordable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed here for two nights when passing through Kyoto. The location is great as the hotel is directly opposite the train station (which itself is a maze!). However, it is a subway ride or long walk to the main tourist spots / city centre for shopping and restaurants etc.

We stayed in what I believe is the older wing of the hotel - the rooms were pretty basic but had everything in them which we needed. The rooms needed updating but we didn't see the new wing with the upgraded rooms.

The staff were friendly and lent us umbrellas when it rained, helped us change money etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple