“Nice location”
Review of New Miyako Hotel

New Miyako Hotel
Ranked #46 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Quite nice location in front of JR Kyoto station. We can say this is especially for customer who uses Shinkansen or airport express bases from both Osaka Itami Airport and Kansai International Airport.
Room facility is enough equipped for tourist or business travelers.

Room Tip: My recommendation is to book rooms in "South Wing".
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank buchi-tk

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

To get to this hotel, you need to get to the south side of JR Kyoto station and follow the signs for West Hachioji exit. When you get outside of the station building, the hotel is across the road and about 2 minutes walk to the right. If you are lost, the is an information centre in the Miyako michi mall (within JR Hachioji exit) to show you where the hotel is.
We stayed on the premium 9th floor and the pillow is super hard and not comfortable at all compared to all the Japanese hotels I have stayed on my various Japan trips. Room is a good size but I'm not sure if it's because we got room 970 which is at the end of one side of the floor.
There is a Japan Post counter near the lift area on the ground floor that you can send things to other hotels in Japan. We used it to send things to Tokyo hotel without us having to haul all those extra baggage by ourselves. A large box with Tokyo delivery cost me 1540 yen.
If you ever use the Karasuma subway line to go around Kyoto, make sure you use the South exit at the platform level to make it easier to get back to the hotel =)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yu_take
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We got this hotel with a one night package of Kyoto. The staff was very friendly and courteous. They gave us a room in 10th floor which is premium. the pillows were really hard for some reason. walking distance to kyoto station. Lots to do around the hotel. Great breakfast options

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mobashirm
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Opposite Kyoto rail station and the meeting place for many daily tours, this is an ideal location for a brief stop whilst sightseeing in Kyoto. I don't think the breakfasts are worth the $25.00 with limited choice of food. Better to go across the road to sample the many offerings from the numerous cafés open in the malls around this large station complex.
Typical of many Japanese hotels the rooms are not large.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the station for views
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gilesgolf
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Definitely an old hotel, but clean and comfortable enough. Located just across the Kyoto Station. Don't try to take a cab. You can just walk there. Friendly service. Helpful too. I found my room on the 8th floor a bit dark and depressing (because of the furniture and color scheme) and gave the front desk a call. The girl found me another room on the 9th floor which she assured me had a brighter color. I didn't have to go down to return my key. She sent a porter up with the new key and to take my bags to the new room. It faced the station and it was nice watching the bullet train pull in and out of the station. Walk round the corner to the Aeon Mall for wonderful shopping and plenty of eating places.

Room Tip: Book a room on the priority floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the New Miyako. The rooms on the 7th Floor were updated and my room 731 had a view. I was disappointed there was no work out facility. We had to cab to a gym 5 minutes away.

The hotel is right across the street from the train station, next to a wonderful mall and within walking distance to many cultural sites and temples.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank SonomaBob
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I booked late, during Sakura. This hotel was the last with availability (for under $500/night). I expected a dump. In fact, the lobby is nothing to write home about, and the room was plain: the bathroom seemed to have been put into the room like it was a stand-alone module, not built in... But it was clean and fairly bright, the bed was comfortable, and being across the street from the train station was a lot more convenient than I had expected it to be!
I knew it was close to the station, but when I asked a cab driver to take us there, he pointed at it and said "you're only going there".
The station has nice restaurants and shops. The shrines and temples are sufficiently distributed around Kyoto such that there is no obvious place to stay to be close to them all.
I was really pleased with the New Miyako.

Stayed: March 2014