“Alpha hotel”

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed April 23, 2009

• Stayed: April 2009

Reviewed November 4, 2008

Thankfully, we only booked one night at Hotel Alpha.
There was mold on the shower curtain and the ceiling of the bathroom. I guess we should have guessed that it wasn't going to be pleasant when we found a bottle of "fabric refresher" among the room "amenities".
The carpet was dirty and stained. The final straw for me was finding dried blood stains on the ripped bedspread. If there had been another hotel available that night (the middle of leaf watching season for Kyoto) we would have been out of there like a shot.
Fodor's most recent guidebook to Japan lists it as clean, friendly and convenient. Well, it is convenient...

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank ready2fly55
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. The room was smelly. The bathroom smelled like mold, and the windows couldn't be opened. The blanket and the carpet were dirty.
Overall, the location is great, but every night we didn't want to come back to our room.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adereth
Reviewed September 30, 2007

I wish their towels were cleaner, carpet were neater. But knowing how annal Japanese are, I somewhat just believed they've cleaned it to the best they could (and a pair of flipflop helps). The location is unbeatable. I chose this place in order to have a shorter walk to the view of bonfire in Summer festival. The market right around the corner was a pleasant surprise. It's close to the subway station, which was a blssing in a hot summer. In all, I was happy with my stay there.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought that I would be getting a great deal on a clean, small hotel in the heart of Kyoto. Well, it is small and in a great location but it was certainly not clean. After requesting a non-smoking room (my wife has asthma) I was told there were none available upon arrival. Normally this isn't that big of a deal as most hotels have independent air control in each room. The Alpha Hotel, however, has central air for each floor if not the entire building. Since we were put on a smoking floor the room was VERY smoky. I have traveled in Asia extensively and recognize the difficulty in avoiding smoke, but this was excessive. In addition, the carpets and beddings were stained and dirty. The hotel staff was helpful and after 2 days moved us to a twin room on a non-smkoing floor but the damage had been done as my wife became quite sick. In general, I would say that if you smoke it is probably fine, but if you appreciate cleanliness when paying near $100/night then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank will2live
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Stayed here for 5 days while we visited Kyoto and Nara. Rooms are small by American standards but were adequate for 3 adult family members in 1 room for sleeping arrangements. Hotel was very CLEAN AND SAFE, front desk personnel were very helpful with directions and needs, English was spoken here, and location was only 1/2 block from subway and bus stops were in front of hotel along with "7-11" store for quick snacks! Entance is off a side street but I found it easily looking at the picture from their website!
Shopping district was only 1 block away and tons of food places to eat nearby.
If you are looking for a clean place to sleep with a great location, than this hotel will fit the bill, but if you intend to stay in your room, you may get cramped, but then why are you traveling? I would NOT HESITATE to stay here again!
PS, I found it much easier to use the bus to and from Kyoto station than the subway, no change in buses, but you have to make 1 change in subway lines.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank MDFR
Reviewed June 7, 2006

The Hotel Alpha Kyoto is perfectly located for a visit to Kyoto: It is only half a block to a major subway line and only 5 minutes by foot to two different train stations. Moreover, its just minutes by foot from Pontocho and from some popular shopping areas. My single room was small, but quite comfortable, and the hotel's English-speaking staff were very helpful to me. Breakfasts were nicely served and very satisfying. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2006