See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Small room, as with everywhere in Japan! Perfectly clean, average size bathroom and room for here.
Very convenient location, 1 block from Kyotoshiyakushomae Station and 1.1k from the Gion district.
Good place to explore the town from!! Free WiFi too :) always a plus for researching the city :)

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is cheap compared to other hotels in the neighborhood and sits at a very convenient location in a downtown area within walking distance from a few stations.

I stayed here for multiple nights. On the first night, I regretted for the first time having taken the
tripadvisor advice for this hotel. Hotel itself is okay, but the smell in the room was so bad that I could not really sleep through the night. I hope that this is not a Japanese tradition, but it seems
that the only difference between non-smoking and smoking room is ashtray. While my room did
not have an ashtray and the staff kept saying the room is non-smoking, it certainly was tobacco smoke. My request for room change was declined because the hotel, I was told, was full.

The only suggestion the staff made was either spraying freshener or opening window.
I had window open for the night. Apparently, a nightclub is next door so I could hear well the noise. For the following nights, I always kept the window open and the odor was largely under control (although it was cold).

Other than this issue, the hotel is probably okay and the staff were kind.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fscholar
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Very old, the carpet and walls are dirty and stained, and the worst was the bed. I couldn't help scratching eveywhere on my skin because felt so itchy in bed, too old bed. Free coffee machine was out of order when I arrived. At the front, people were kind but I'll never stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank terri369
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Alpha in December 2011, during a longer trip through Japan.
The hotel is extremely well positioned, very close to Gyon, the city centre, the river, subway and bus stops. The surrounding area is full of well priced restaurants, there's a 7/11 around the corner, Loft and Uniqlo are also close.
The lobby was probably the area of the hotel I enjoyed the most as it's really comfy, offers free coffee and tea, and free wifi - in a very cold December in Kyoto, this was a warm place to be in!
It's true that rooms are a bit old and tiny, but I was not at all bothered by this, as I've spent most of my time around the city. What I really enjoyed was the bathroom with the tub, and the complimentary Shiseido amenities. Plus, the sign that the water is safe for drinking made me enjoy several long warm baths!
I would perhaps not recommend the breakfast - was a bit pricey for the limited choice they offered.
The staff was pretty friendly and they speak English, they even sold bus cards and helped me understand what buses I had to take.
I would totally recommend the hotel if you're looking for a convenient place to stay close to the centre!

Room Tip: The hotel is pricier during weekends, so if you can make it during the weekdays, you might get great room rates!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank vintage_time
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Hi, we are 3 couple going to kyoto on 3 Feb 2011, I have booked three non smoking room true Agoda.com. When we check in, the front desk inform us only available one non smoking room for us. I am so sad about this, finally their off us a japanese room for 4 person. I am grad the staff is very polite and do the arrangement for us.
This hotel a bit old , i think is time for renovation. In fact, we just stay one night .
The location is good , just behind the 7 eleven, make sure get down from the bus and look at the 7 eleven, if not it is very difficult to notice that there is a hotel behind the 7 eleven.
There is a lot of shop around the hotel.. It is a good place for shopping and eat.
If you can get a good rate, can consider to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple