“Lovely service, but not great value, and a little tired...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Three Sisters Inn Annex
Ranked #50 of 114 B&Bs / Inns in Kyoto
leeds
“Lovely service, but not great value, and a little tired...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

The staff were all extremely friendly, and a great deal of effort was put into making this a comfortable stay for travellers. The garden was pretty, and the breakfast room was in a lovely setting.

Breakfast was good - decent toast and coffee! But expensive for what it was.

The plus points of the ryokan:
- Pretty setting, with a lovely tranquil garden
- Extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff - they provide great information and have put together some really good tour routes around Kyoto
- Good continental-style breakfast
- Good information provided in rooms (which we used to find a really fantastic dinner experience).

The downsides:
- Decor is looking pretty tired
- There is a strict curfew
- Both my husband and I are tall, and we were unable to safely walk around the bathroom - dangerous in the night!
- Rather inexplicably, our room had a ricepapered window leading on to the corridor, which had a light on outside - we ended up having to rig up a cover for the window so that we could sleep in darkness.
- It is very pricey for what it is - despite the good service positives, on being presented with the bill, you will not feel you have had good value

Other points:
- Go for a day out in Nara - fabulous temples and the Golden Buddha is not to be missed. You'll tick a whole load of World Heritage Sites off your bucket list!
- Eat at the Hotel Fujita "Oomi" steakhouse, in the most beautiful hidden garden. You will need to take out a mortgage, but it will be worth it and you will dream about the steak for the rest of your trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Returning to Kyoto for a 5-day visit after having lived there for two years some 37 years ago, I longed for a place to stay that was reminiscent of my former Kyoto 2-room apartment. The Three Sisters Inn Main did not disappoint. The tatami mat room was spacious and even had a sort of enclosed balcony sitting area with two comfy leather chairs and a table.

Hot tea provided each afternoon awaited me in the lobby and fresh, cool water in a pot in the room was near at hand. The room appointments are not fancy but are rather homey making the room feel comfy rather than formal. There are no expensive frills (i.e., scented soaps, pillow candies) but there is plenty of hot water for showers and lots of charm.

Everything is sparkling clean, esp the shower and toilet areas.

I thought the futon (bed) was especially comfortable and did not even need to use the little travel pillow I brought "just in case" because the one provided was perfect.

It was quiet at night in my room even though it faced the street, which is a side-street but does have light traffic during the day. Traffic noises never interrupted me.

Lots of sights were close by (Heian Shrine, Gingkakuji, Philosophers Walk) and the sisters are very helpful with bus and city maps, tickets and ideas for eateries, tours, etc.
Very nearby is a bank, ATM and coin op laundry. Several small eateries satisfy as well.

I mainly walked and took busses all over Kyoto from the inn. When I returned, someone always personally greeted me at the door, making me feel welcome, as if back home.

I recommend this charming inn to anyone who wants to experience Japanese living style and culture up close. It's almost like staying with favorite aunts!

The three sisters have been hosting foreign visitors for decades and are adept at anticpating your needs and questions. You will find helpful information from the front desk.

Oh, BTW, the morning coffee was great! Brewed fresh, the whole pot is set at your place with enough java to refill your cup at least three times! I'm from the Pacific NW, home to Starbucks, Seattle's Best and a few other coffee meccas. So, if I am a bit of a coffee snob, that's why!

Note that there is also an Annex. It's about two blocks away and just beside the wall to Heian Shrine, actually. I didn't have a look inside so cannot comment on rooms there. It looked nice from the front gate from which a lovely garden walkway leads to the front door.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank JazzyJ
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed with Three Sisters Inn at the end of my 3-week vacation in Japan. I stayed six nights here and loved it. Kay and the personable, polite staff make this place a wonderful stay and great introduction to Kyoto and the Higashiyima area. I was here for the Gion Matsuri festival, and they provided wonderful recommendations where to view the parade, what to enjoy the evenings prior, and also gave some nice walking itineraries for the surrounding area. They also checked on tickets to the sumo tournament in Nagoya for me before I went up there for a day trip! Access to both Northern and Southern Higashiyima was super easy - Three Sisters is central for both. Buses to downtown and western Kyoto were a block away. I really liked the location.

I did not take breakfast at the inn. I opted to go to the supermarket a couple blocks away, and it served me quite well. I had a room on the 2nd floor, it was small, but it was perfectly fine - small table with tea and hot water, comfortable futon, closet with hangers. The bathroom and shower was shared and across the hall, but access was never a problem.

This is not a fancy, five-star hotel. Its a old-fashioned, service-oriented inn. I am so glad I stayed here, and really enjoyed getting to the know the staff. If you stay here, take the time to have a few conversations with them about Kyoto. You won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

Kay and the personable, helpful three sisters staff make this place a great introduction to Kyoto and a convenient base for exploring the Higashiyima area of Kyoto. Aesthetically pleasing and not for those who prefer impersonal and homogenised business hotels.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

This ryokan has no warmth to it at all. Everything in the room (each hanger, tea pot, tray etc.) was labeleld with the room number which made me think I was staying at a motel in the States. I travelled all over Japan and the other ryokans I stayed at were lovely - it takes more than a tatami mat to create that feeling of "old Japan". I think this place has "had its day" and is just coasting - it 's pretty run down so look elsewhere!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank NiHaoToronto
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

The hotel is basically a budget ryukan in the midst of temple/shrine area. The futons are comfortable, the bathroom basic and small, and the service pretty basic too. The staff recommendations should probably be avoided, but they mean well.
For the price, nearly us$170 per night I expected slightly more tlc or at least knowledgeable staff and amenities.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

Lovely little Ryokan. Cosy breakfast room which leads to friendly discussion amongst guests. Staff are welcoming, considerate and helpful. Kay was outstanding, assisting us with organising train tickets. Reception staff could communicate well in English. Rooms were clean and comfortable - overlooking small garden.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family