“Excellent service, beautiful rooms, just great!”
Review of Ryokan Heianbo

Ryokan Heianbo
Ranked #122 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had booked in for a 3-person room. When we arrived, we were greeted by the very excitable lady owner. She offered us 1 room or 2 rooms at no extra cost. We opted for the 2 rooms for some extra space. This place was great, the one and only downside was getting our suitcases up and down the long, narrow staircase. It was a perfect location for exploring kyoto, and in a quiet area. Breakfast was served between 7-9am, which was perfect. Breakfast was great, the owners gave amazing service, going above and beyond. The owner offered us tips and hints of local things that were happening, like the kyoto firework festival! The room was spacious and comfortable, we had a private shower but shared the toilet between the 2 rooms, which was fine. Ahhh, this was such a great experience, I only wish we'd stayed longer than 3 days. Definately recommend staying here and would definately go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs if you have large luggage.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ryokan Heianbo

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband had visited Japan before and insisted that we must stay in a Ryokan and I am so glad he did. I absolutely loved staying here, everything from the beautiful room and the distinctive smell of the tatami mats to the gorgeous gardens was great. I think my favourite part was using the hot bath; really eased my aches and pains after a hard days walk! It was refreshingly easy to find too, only five minutes walk from the incredible Kyoto railway station.

You are provided with traditional patterned dressing gowns for use in the room, which is a nice photo op! I was dubious about the bed initially, but it was cosy and comfy and we slept soundly. Staff were lovely and although they didn't speak English, they were happy to listen and respond to our attempts to speak Japanese. Much to my delight, there was a friendly cat lounging in reception in the evening, although non cat lovers may feel a little differently about this! Apparently there are two cats living there, but the second furry friend didn't put in an appearance.

An amazing, very Japanese experience, well worth the money.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed at The Heian Bo Ryokan for 4 nights. It was easy to get to and we arrived really late at night and mamasan waited for us and welcomed us in. It was really close to Kyoto station where you can access pretty much all of the wonderful things Kyoto has to offer and to Kyoto yodabashi department store. There was five of us including two children and we couldn't fault the service. The breakfast was wonderful. Sleeping on the futon takes a little getting use to (kind of like camping) but after walking the streets of Japan for a day you don't really mind. Make sure you remember to collect your shoes. I would highly recommend this Ryokan to someone wanting a down to earth friendly japanese experience. The distance from the station cannot be beaten for price and value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lara P
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed in this ryokan only for one night, but thought that when we visit Kyoto again we will choose to stay in it - it was one of the best ryokans we stayed in during our one-month trip in Japan, and in a very good location (3 min. walk from the Kyoto JR train station, 15-minutes walk from Gion).

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmirFreimann
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed at the Ryokan Heianbo for 4 nights while in Kyoto on a tour.

It was just like staying at someone's home, The rooms weren't huge, nor the bathrooms, but it was a real Japanese experience. If you were looking for a plush western motel, then I'd be looking elsewhere, but if you have come to Japan to absorb the culture, then it's a nice little place to stay.

The rooms have ensuites, which is rare for a Ryokan, and the location to the Railway station is fantastic.

The staff are very freindly, and make you feel comortable.

There is a small onsen, which with the size of the Ryokan, could land you with a private onsen.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KatandAnthony
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I would heartily recommend this ryokan. It is very convenient for the train and bus station. The room was spacious and comfortable, and very light, with lots of windows. It's a bit like a maze inside, and you do need someone to show you where your room is, as they're not numbered (luckily the staff are nice and are used to lost tourists I think). I had a small shower cubicle in the corner of the room, which was fine, and a shared toilet just outside my door. This was one of the most hi-tech things I've ever had the privilege of sitting on! It had a warm seat, and lots of flashing buttons I was a bit nervous to press (although on the last day I did indulge in a 'shower', which was interesting!). I don't think it played music or simulated rushing water like some of the ones in department stores though :) Kyoto itself is a lovely place, and three days weren't really enough to see it. A week would have been better. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank Anna_Durrance_Bagale
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I had a little trouble finding it; be sure to print out a map and a picture of the building to help you identify it. The staff was very nice but speaks little English. Those were the only real negative points.

The ryokan is very close to the main train, subway, and bus terminal which is very convenient. There are a large number of stores and dining areas nearby. The train station has several food courts with all types of cuisines.

The room (single) was small, but very comfortable. The rooms all have tatimi mats and futon bedding. The rooms on the back side face a street, so there's some traffic noise. The manager drew the hot bath in the evening, which was very nice. There was snow in Kyoto during my stay, but the heating kept the room warm. Note that the common areas, toilet room, and bath aren't really heated so they can be cold. The bath is easy to fix -- run the shower on hot for a few minutes. The toilet did have a high-tech heated seat, but the room itself was pretty cold.

Watch your head in the doorways if you're tall-- some are only 6 feet high. The mirrors in the bathrooms are also set for someone short. Ceilings were fine, though.

Breakfast was excellent. I was fine with the all-Japanese food and chopsticks, but if you want western-style food you'll need to go out.

There's no internet available, but there is a free public terminal in the lobby. The room came with a hot water pot and green tea, TV (Japanese channels only) and a minifridge.

I had a very nice stay for an inexpensive cost.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo