“Little Ryokan on the canal”
Review of RyokanYuhara

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
RyokanYuhara
Ranked #143 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Kuching, Malaysia
“Little Ryokan on the canal”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We managed to find this wonderful ryokan in Kyoto through a helpful local as it was not listed on most of the websites i have been in. maybe that's also the reason that we were able to find rooms here while every rooms or beds in every other place is taken.
A family run business for many years, Yuhara- san (77 yrs old) and her son offer the building next to their family home to foreigners. its right next to a small river/canal lined with cherry trees, so you can expect a very spectacular view from the Ryokan during the Sakura season.
The rooms are huge and very very comfortable with futons on tatami mats. Green tea and cakes were being offered almost at all times from the family kitchen. Yuhara san also knows some of the best restaurants in her neighborhood and speaks english reasonably well. I have recommended this Ryokan to many of my friends and fellow travelers we met. and they all love it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarawaklaksa

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have stayd there 3 times over the years. If you arrive in the late afternoon Mrs. Youhara welcomes you with a cup of tea and arsk you when you like to go to bath. You put on your yokata drink your tea and wait for Mrs. Yuhara. After the bath you are redy to go out in the Black Kyoto Night and get slomething to eat. The frist time we wisited the place, Mrs. Yuhara advised us in Japanece customs. it was funny and usefull. The place is a little primitive and we like it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I are Americans living in Japan most of the year, so we are used to Japanese inns. After an uncomfortable night in a "modern" hotel near the train station, we so enjoyed our three nights here. Our hosts, Yuhara-san and her son, were warm and always willing to help out. We learned that this traditional Japanese inn is run as a Japanese-style inn for foreigners, so the hosts are used to and forgiving of foreigners' lack of familiarity with Japanese inn customs. The price was very reasonable by Japanese standards, but there are trade-offs. The rooms have a lavatory only. Bathing and toilets are shared. Also there are no meals offered at the inn which seemed unusual to us. Our room was spotless and well-appointed, but not much of a view. We might have preferred a room facing the canal. Our stay was quiet and relaxed. We felt very comfortable here, and it was well-located for us - close enough to what we wanted to do, but far enough away to be quiet. The only thing that keeps me from rating this property as "excellent" was the absence of Japanese breakfast served at the inn.

Room Tip: We think we would have preferred a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank treaveler_spouse
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We stayed at Yuhara with my wife for the our first night in Japan. I wish we had stayed longer, as the hosts at Yuhara were so warm and welcoming. Yuhara is located at a very nice and peaceful area with no noises bothering at night - something we came to value when we stayed at a more centrally located ryokan later. This means one has to walk a little bit to get to the main shopping/night-life area, if that is what one is after.

When comparing online, the facilities may seem to offer less than more expensive ryokans (no in-room toilet/bath for instance), but my own view of what is need changed after our trip. I think the shared toilet and bath qualifies it for more authentic japanese experience. However I recommend that you prepare yourself for the morning by getting something to eat in the morning as launching yourself out the door with an empty belly to look for the nearest cafe makes anyone a bit grumpy.

I highly recommend Yuhara. Mrs. Yuhara and her son are like people from a movie.. even though the people in Japan are very nice everywhere, we missed these ones for the rest of our trip!

Room Tip: Our room had a little balcony on the street side, where it was nice to sit and look over the little...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hphuhtin
Paris
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed there 3 nights with my wife and my small child.

The ryokan is well located in Kyoto in the center of the city, however near a small canal full of mosquitos. The owner and his mother are very kind and helpfull, but do not speak a very good english. The ryokan provides a computer with free internet, but there is no kitchen, no fridge and even no boiler.

There is no room with bathroom, so we had a big japaneese room without bathroom, with 2 yukatas. There is a shower on the 2nd floor and a bathroom on the ground floor, which you cannot use freely : you have to ask the owner to prepare you a japanese bath 30 minutes before you get in... so we did not use it for our baby.
To conclude, we had a nice stay in this ryokan, but for 9.660Y per night, this was quite expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nobeit
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed October 23, 2010

I did hesitate whether to choose Yuhara after having read about the bugs.. and even had booked another accomodation in Kyoto first. How good that I changed to this one!
It was a lovely, only 2 nights stay. The place is very conveniently located, 15 min. walk from Kyoto station in a lovely small street by a channel. Very easy to find because of this fact - I have no idea why others had problem. The place was throughly renovated in Nove 2009 so believe me, it is impeccably clean. I loved it all, first of all my room, so cosy. Maybe from the amenities I missed was a kettle in a room and hairdryier - but you can take it from the reception and I was given hot water to make my tea in the morning too. You just have to ask.
The vicitinty of a rent-bike place was an absolute advantage - with a bike sighsteeing is much more pleasant and easier.
Not to forget the landlords, oh no! Maybe it is not so imprtant for you but you can imagine how it was for me, when I heard my landlord saying to me phrases in Polish, my mother tongue - "sleep well", "see you tonight", "have a good day and nice sightseeing", not to foreget "the bath is ready" when he called me at a room. He was so nice and helpful. approached with self-made map with all places of interest around. I will definitely come back there once in Kyoto.
The place is not for night life lovers - it closes at 11 pm (to me it was great, no noise in the middle of the night) and also it doeas not serve breakfasts, but since I never take it, no problem at all. No wifi in the room but WLAN in a lobby.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Ewcyna
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Mrs Yuhara and her son run a wonderfully warm and welcoming establishment. The whole place has been recently refurbished to impeccable standard and it was the best-value-for-money accommodation we had in Japan. In a lovely quiet neighbourhood too, yet very close and easy access to top sights. The Bamboo room is especially lovely so ask for it if you can. the river was dry when we were there which was a shame, but it would be a really beautiful setting when it's running. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple