“Great- will go back one day”
Review of Tour Club

Tour Club
Ranked #17 of 346 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am writing this review three years later and I still remember how good this place was.
We had a private room with our own bathroom and enjoyed having a small balcony attached to get some fresh air. Kyoto is a lovely place to explore and tour club isn't too far away from where all the central places are.
The communal area was nice and overall it was a very professional place.
We stayed October 2010 by the way

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tour Club

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a small hostel located pretty close to the Kyoto station, which is nice and central. The facilities are simple but tidy and comfortable, and are nice compromise between western amenities and a Japanese atmosphere. The staff are really kind and helpful, Japanese but fluent in English, and booking was quick and easy. I really enjoyed staying here and was assisted numerous times with all kinds of requests, from locating pharmacies, to finding transport, to great sightseeing spots. I really recommend this place to any travelers visiting Kyoto!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We really loved our stay at Tour Club. We stayed in one of the traditional Japanese rooms and were pleasantly surprised by how large the rooms were. The staff were all amazingly nice and friendly, and were always on hand to offer advice on places to eat and see. There is also a self service laundry facility which is very handy if you are travelling for a longer period.

Initially we were only going to stay for a couple of nights, but we liked the hostel and the location so much that we extended our stay further. It's a great base from which to explore other cities, such as Osaka, Nara and Hiroshima. The hostel is only a few minutes walk from the main train station, making it very easy to get around.

The area is very quiet, which was perfect for us as we were not looking to party. There were some solo travellers in the hostel, but it doesn't have that traditional backpacker feel as there were also Japanese families staying for the weekend. There are plenty of nice places to eat nearby and there is a great Japanese bakery in the next street which is definitely worth checking out!

We would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is visiting Kyoto.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

No one can ever complain about the location of this place. Approx 5-10 min walking distance from the main train station but hidden on a quite street without any noise.

Rooms, toilets and showers + communal areas are all very clean and nice.

Downpart was to reserv a room at this place, online form didn't work so we emailed but got a reply to say that we had to call. We called and the guy was really rude on the phone and not clear at all.

Free wifi in reception but otherwise you have to pay to use the computers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at Tour Club for 4 nights during our 3-weeks backpacking tour through Japan. As it is placed 10 minutes away from the central station, it is a great place to go on daytrips to other places around (e.g. Nara, Amanohashidate) and explore the city as many busses start from central station.

The rooms are Japan style and even a private bathroom is in each room!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SteVla123
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Tour Club hostel in Kyoto is located in a quiet neighbourhood and it's just about a few minutes from Kyoto station to get there.

I enjoyed both of my stays there. It is very comfortable and the staff is very kind and helpfull and they can speak proper English as well. Which is very helpfull especially for foreign guests.

Therefore that the hostel isn't so big (just about the max of 40 guests) there is a familiar atmosphere. I definetly will stay there again, when I am back in Kyoto.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank izumi73
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've stayed at the Tour Club for two nights, during a trip to Japan in july 2013.
This hostel has all the characteristics of a typical japanese ryokan, for less.

The location is a bit far from Kyoto's nightlife districts, still I liked it. As a photographer, I loved the intimate views that the the narrow, silent roads of this part of Kyoto can offer. Also, it is very close to the train station, which turned out to be an excellent spotting place.

The staff speaks excellent english. I was given hints on how to experience Kyoto at its best: must-see places, how to get around, where to eat, which onsen (i.e. hot spring) to go, etc.
They go to great lengths to make you comfortable: during my stay, I was helped to get back a paper notebook I had lost some days before in Osaka: the person who found the notebook sent it by mail to the hostel with a pay-on-delivery service. The staff paid the service for me, while I was out, and I later refunded them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo