“Best place in Kyoto”

Ranked #10 of 322 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Best place in Kyoto”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The tour club is hands down the best place to stay in Kyoto. It in inexpensive, located close to the train station, and the staff and owner are very friendly and helpful to travelers who stay at the Tour Club. They have private Japanese style rooms or dorm style beds, shared bathing and bathroom facilities, a washer and dryer, a comfortable and relaxing common area, free wifi, and wired internet access - 100 yen for 20 minutes.

I have always met wonderful and interesting people during my stays at the Tour Club. The people i meet while staying at the Tour Club, and the adventures we share during our time in Kyoto are the main reasons why I will continue to stay at the Tour Club when I am visiting Kyoto.

If you prefer western style accommodations then the Tour Club may be a place you want to stay. If you do and do so with an open mind I feel you will have a wonderful time and will meet many wonderful people.

Room Tip: Look for the Second House Italian Restaurant in order to locate the street the Tour Club is located...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had trouble finding it the first time, but once you got the hang of it by recognising the iconic buildings nearby, it becomes an ease. About 10-15 mins walk from the Kyoto Station and buses and trains to all the attractions. If I'm right about his name, Toshi was very helpful and welcoming throughout my 4 nights. He often gave good tips on where to eat (also refer to that booklet they made and left in your room/lounge)!! I stayed in the female dorm which is less spacious than the mixed dorm, but it has everything you needed. A big locker, bedside lamp and a very cosy bed. The bathrooms and toilet were clean too all the time. After all the walking in Kyoto all day, believe me, you would just want to go back and rest. Tour Club made it possible for you to come back anytime (do note that check in is strictly after 3pm). I wish they can be more lenient on this if they have the empty beds since a lot of us might arrive on an early morning! The lounge is the best place to meet people and I met various, including two whom are now friends. I also tried to contact the hostel to putting me in touch with a traveler I lost touch with but sadly no news from them yet :(

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Although I found it hard to find (perhaps a better map can be added to their website with shop names etc to help you find your way) the Tour club hostel was a great place to stay. Small but well kept with really really helpful staff. The room was a nice size and had a lockable locker big enough for my suitcase. It is very close to Kyoto station which was good as you don't have to carry your bags far and loads of buses depart and arrive at the station so it is easy to get to the sights. I'd definitely recommend the hostel to others and would stay there again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had a fantastic experience at the Tour Club. I arrive in Kyoto without any reservations at the peak of Cherry Blossom season (equivalent to Spring break). Although they didn't have any rooms available, the staff went above and beyond and found me a bed in a dorm on one of their 4 nearby locations. They really saved my bu** and I couldn't be any more grateful for that.

The price for a dorm room bed (in a 3 person room) was approx $24 and a private twin bedroom (one room with 2 beds and bathroom) was $77 so they had something for everyone at a reasonable price.

Special thanks also to the friendly and helpful staff (Toshi) who had tons of recommendations and places to visit and see while I was there. You can't go wrong with the Tour Club. Also see their other nearby locations (Budget Inn and Capsule Ryokan)

Easy walk from the Kyoto train station

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
sydney
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Tour Club Kyoto. It was close to the station, the staff were friendly and helpful. The common area is very spacious and so are the rooms. I loved how big the lockers were. The place and the toilet/shower rooms were very clean.

I highly recommend this place if you are visiting Kyoto.

The only thing to note is not to use your credit cards when paying for the beds/rooms. Somehow the exchange rate they use is very poor (2.5% mark up). Just pay cash if you can.

• Stayed March 2013
Taiwan
Reviewed March 1, 2013

位於東西本願寺之間, 每日買一日券的洛巴市票, 步行十分鐘便可抵達西本願寺,由寺前搭No.9前往各大古蹟或名勝.或者步行十五分鐘自巴士/京都總站出發.
職員能說英語,環境清潔,暖氣充足.除了廚房缺筷子和盤皿之外,一切都很方便. 單獨旅行,住在女性宿舍區,房間內的櫃子可鎖,唯和式拉門無鎖,晚間職員下班後, 得靠自己小心為上了.

英文評價網似乎當機,以下是原先意見
◇Toshi
◇Tadashi
◇Kenta
◇Comment
I took 14 nights over there because Mr. Kiyomizu (清水正治) the owner of guesthouse is open-minded to give a brief introduction to Kyoto. Moreover his employees e.g. Mr.Shun Mr. Toshi Mr. Tadashi and the other one without icon/id below( I was told he is from Uji. He deserves "Excellent Lab" ) are professional to share travelling information. Needless to say the price and clean environment are beyond comparison. It was mean that this guesthouse during low season cost cheap and convenient) Suggestions: 1.Please consider to set the lock with female dorm door actually some of European backpacker's dorms have lock for female tourists. Kyoto is secure but nobody at counter after about 10:30 p.m.(Sometimes I saw Mr.Kenta study English) 2. Please put more chopsticks in the dinning room. There are two pairs at most.
◇The place you stayed
Tour Club

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The location is not far from Kyoto station. I walked everyday. It takes about 10 mins. The room is not big but very clean. And the staff is very kind and helpful. I even borrowed a watch from the staff for my exam! The travelers from diferent countries can talk easily. I stayed for 10 nights and I really enjoyed my staying!!

• Stayed November 2012