“Ok location and good staff. Dated but functional rooms.”

ANA Crowne Plaza Kyoto
Ranked #48 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Transport.
Free shuttle from MacD’s outside JR Shinkasen tracks exit at Kyoto Station every 15 mins 08:00 to 19:45. Revers trip is 07:40 then 08:05 every 15 minutes until 19:40 (IIRC).

Subway stop Nijo-mae. Takes 5 minutes walk to get to the top of the stairs at exit 2 then turn right and 50 metres Hotel is on right. Elevator\escalator is at another exit.

Subway KarasumaOike 11 minutes walk from hotel.(Out-right-Then right-then left onto Oike dori) Direct line to Kyoto station.
Directly opposite the Castle and bus stops for further sights.

TIP
Get the 2 day subway and bus pass from the Info center-Y2000 and utilise the frequent subway and buses to get to all sights. Only need 4 journeys per day to break even and it’s so easier to flash the pass rather than hunt for small change.

Hotel
Dated rooms. Bath with hand held shower.
Free shaving, dental + accessories kits. Mini bar fridge in which you can put own stuff.
Free water. No iron? Wifi free in room. Pool-Cost1500 Yen!
Restaurants expensive and high brow as expected.
Flat screen TV-Two English channels CNN and BBC World.

Nearby food drinks:
7 Eleven with ATM:- Out and 100 yards to left of hotel
Japanese Wine store (and 7 eleven + ATM ) Out and right, then right down small alley which shuttle bus takes to get to hotel. Then left for a 100 yards along OIKE Dori.

Staff very helpful and English mostly spoken.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ourunner

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the ANA Kyoto only for one night. I chose the hotel because of highly positive feedback through my research. Not sure if I would stay here again, but not against it. Here is my specific feedback:

1) I booked the hotel through hotels.com. When I was checking in, the reservation stated one or two beds, and I asked for one as well as stated to please give me a nice room. The response I was received, you only get one type with such a reservation. I was stunned to hear that I was treated as a second class citizen just because of how I booked it. I only booked it through hotels.com because I want to earn a free hotel night, and the rate was the same across all sites.

2) The lobby of the hotel is beautiful. Seems like the general area is updated somewhat recently.

3) The room was dated. It was clean and no smell, but again dated.

4) I added and paid for the breakfast option when I booked. Its well worth it. Buffet is like $20pp and via pre-booking, I paid half of that.

5) If you will be looking for English channels on TV, you might want to give me. Found only two, CNN and BBC.

6) The hotel is somewhat far from the train station. But they are offering free shuttles from 7 am to almost 8 pm. Do confirm the shuttle schedule, but its great if you don't want to go through an additional expense.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at ANA Crowne Plaza Kyoto, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear bookwithus,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities and the service you received. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your review and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Unfortunately I was in this gorgeous city during a Typhoon. The location is great and Simon who works at hotel and is from NZ is great at planning your itineraries. The rooms are large and comfortable and the wifi is great. There is a free shuttle bus between the hotel and train station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was a little hesitant in booking this hotel after one or two of the reviews on here but was soooo glad that I did as the location was first class....Nijo Castle was directly across the road and the view from the room was beautiful. No faults at all with the hotel, room or staff....who were ALL wonderful. Exceptionally courteous, friendly and very helpful. My son and myself arrived back late one night from our day-trip to Hiroshima & Miyajima and my son wanted a pizza. As it was gone 11pm I thought they may say that room service was finished....but no, there were no problems at all and the pizza arrived within a couple of minutes. Breakfast was fabulous and there was plenty of choice. Ok, we had to wait a couple of minutes as they were full but that did not matter at all. Cannot fault anything. Would definitely recommend and would definitely stay here again. Don't forget the free shuttle to and from Kyoto Station but please remember that the last pick-up is about 8pm. A thoroughly enjoyable stay !

Room Tip: We were automatically given a room looking out over Nijo Castle.....try to have one of these if you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 281Marie19
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel was a very nice stay. The staff are extremely helpful and there are some english speaking staff in fact Simon on the concierge desk was from Australia but living in Japan for 20 years. He helped us a lot with places to eat and visit in Gion area. The hotel was clean and very well equipped. The restaurant buffet was splendid and there was a really pleasant waterfall just outside which added to the ambience. A hotel shuttle picks you up outside the Kyoto station and takes you to the hotel every 20 minutes or so. There are regular taxis and reasonably priced in Kyoto. We really enjoyed our stay and will return to this hotel in Kyoto on our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jennifer L
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, beautiful lobby and very pleasant and helpful staff. Most spoke good English and our receptionist suggested places we could visit and how to get there. We had breakfast in the hotel both days and it was excellent with many choices and with the 500y discount only cost 1800y each which was excellent value. The Chief Concierge Simon ( NZ and Aussie) was very helpful and informative. The JR railway station is a 10-15 minute walk away and the underground about 5-10 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin room, we have found double rooms in Japan seem to be very small,
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie K
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I had the most comfortable stay at the posh ANA Crowne Plaza Kyoto. Greeting us at the spacious lobby is a beautiful floral display, professional English speaking staff in elegant kimonos to check us in and a person showing us to our room. We were very impressed by the impeccable service, both the spacious room and bathroom. This hotel certainly goes all out to pamper us with a pillow menu, aroma option, comfy yukatas, different types of tea for bedtime and next morning as part of their unique Sleep Advantage programme. There is a kettle and coffee which we enjoyed the next morning overlooking the Nijo castle from our window and its surrounding greenery . We were able to get a late check out at 12 noon to be able to enjoy the comfort of the room before we headed out, storing our luggage at the reception. There is also free and fast wifi access from the room and lobby. The spacious bathroom has full amnesties and nice bathtub with relaxing bath salts. We also enjoyed the live cello performance at their cafe overlooking the waterfall downstairs during the 4 pm tea break. Please look out for the special deals on Booking.com. The 13,360 Yen for a night’s stay is really worth it !

Room Tip: The view overlooking the Nijo castle on the high floors is delightful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple