“Go here if you want to learn about and taste great Sake!”
Review of Yoramu

Yoramu
Ranked #195 of 12,331 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Bar
Neighborhood: City Center
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed June 1, 2014

As other reviews indicate, Yoramu is definitely direct in his views on Saki but he knows what he is talking about. I ended up searching for a Sake bar where I could learn more about this unique Japanese adult beverage after a visit to the Sake museum in Kyoto, which explains Sake making but not much about Sake itself. I went with two friends and we shared a series of flights (which I think was about 1200 yen for three tastings). We got to experience young sake, as well as a flight of aged sake and then sake made with wild yeast. I found the experience charming and the location was easy to find (though as with many places in Japan, one can walk by it by mistake but it is there, trust me). I would happily go back next time I'm in Kyoto.

There are newer reviews for Yoramu

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Yoramu is a wonderfull person, and he crested a Bar where he transmit his love and passion. If you really want to discover Sake take the time to discover his world.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My previous experience of sake was of some fairly vile stuff back in my native Scotland. Whilst my husband and I do always try and sample local food and drink, I wasn't too excited by the idea of sake, but the reviews of Yoramu on Tripadvisor made me think it might be a good venue to give it a proper try.

Yoram was a knowledgeable and interesting host, and we really enjoyed his dry humour. We had several flights of sake, and we were really interested to learn how they can vary so much. I really enjoyed some of them, and the delicious snacks that Yoram whisked up went down a treat.

I think for me the "lightbulb" moment was when Yoram explained that sake isn't "rice wine" as it is so often misleadingly called. Being from Scotland, we enjoy a good whisky, and as he pointed out, you wouldn't try and drink whisky in the same way you do wine. Sake is neither whisky nor wine and requires its own method of tasting, which Yoram talks you through.

Our night at Yoramu was one of the best of our trip. We learned something, had great food, and interesting conversation, all in a great intimate setting. Don't miss Yoramu!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Yoram is a straight shooter--he tells those who visit his sake oasis EXACTLY how it is. Probably one of the most knowledgable sake connoisseurs in Japan (if not the world) he has created a serious following throughout the country. Albeit small with ~ 6 stools, the space is tranquil with stepping stones over a pebble garden separating the entry from the bar.

I recommend describing what you like to drink so that Yoram can prepare a flight (luckily rice wine is relatively affordable!) of sake to sample. If you are interested in learning more just ask, you'll be happy you did. If you're lucky, he may even let you sample some "top-shelf" (back-shelf in this case) sake.

Definitely not your traditional bar experience, and well worth a visit when experiencing Kyoto.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I just left Yoram's bar, and I feel better for it. At this point, I have been in Japan for a week. I feel so alone. My husband and I have private tour guides most days to help us learn about Japan. When the tour guides are gone, we struggle with speaking with Japanese people. We decided to go here because it was a sake bar and we hadn't had much sake on this trip. I feel like a better person for going here. I spoke with Yoram about how I wanted to connect to japanese people. He was very Zen, and told me to not rush it. My husband and I had excellent sake, experiencing flavors we did not associate with sake. If you like white wine, try the sake in the big blue bottle. It was my favorite. My husband loved the sake that was made from unpolished rice. Yoram said it was sake that would not have been possible 5 years ago. I worked up the courage to speak to the girl next to me. Yoram helped with the translation. I was so glad to speak to a Japanese person, I paid her bar tab.

I understand Yoram is somewhat off putting to some people. His directness is part of his personality. Don't let the gruffness fool you, as he is a kind person. My husband and I ordered many flights of sake and had multiple courses for $90. I told Yoram that we had the better end of the bargain.

No trip to Japan is complete without coming here. You will learn about sake, Japan, and yourself.