“the best ever?”

Neighborhood: Pontocho
Boston, Massachusetts
“the best ever?”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our dining experience was magnificent - one of our best ever and quite memorable - food, presentation, service, atmosphere - all world class. Well traveled friends (and foodies) from Boston implored us to go and, despite the expense, we are very glad we did.

The reviews of AJCG and CoastieCook well describe the restaurant and are consistent with our experience. As noted in these reviews the service is very attentive and warm without being stifling. We do not eat meat so they customized our meal limiting ingredients to seafood, diary and vegetables. One of us is allergic to peanuts. They were careful to acknowledge that and went over it with us to be sure they accurately understood.

While the charming chef/owner is most comfortable speaking Japanese and French, he knows a little English and is ably assisted by fluent English speaking staff.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank BostonJake

Barcelona, Spain
“French Food. Japanese Kaiseki Style. Wonderful.”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

In a lovely old tea house in Pontocho on the river.... beautiful Japanese style private rooms. Food is classic french in small quantities served in a Japanese style - every dish was just beautiful to look at made of top quality ingredients with a taste to match. Expensive but worth it. Wonderful service. English and French speaking staff.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank AJCG
Salem, Massachusetts
“Fantastic food, out of this world service”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

After reading a glowing review in Frommers, I decided to make Misoguigawa the destination or my birthday dinner. It was absolutely fantastic. They serve French food in the kaiseki style and have been doing so for decades. The food is unforgettable, and from the moment I walked in the front door, the service was spectacular. The chief attendant and some of the other staff speak excellent English, making what could have been a very intimidating experience friendly and pleasurable. During the meal I did let the staff know that it was my birthday, and my dessert came with a special birthday wish in white chocolate. To top it all off, after the meal the chef, Mr. Teruo Inoue, stopped by for a chat and to wish me a happy birthday. I will refrain from doing a course listing, as the menu changes with the seasons and freshness of ingredients, but I have included a few pictures.

If you're nervous about making restaurant reservations over the phone in Japan as I am, you can make your reservation via their website. I got a very prompt response from the Chief Attendant. Another problem you can run into finding tiny restaurants in the narrow lanes of Kyoto is just finding the place. However, the directions for finding the restaurant given on the website were perfect. They are also very willing to make adaptations to the menu and personalize it based upon food allergies or preferences.

One thing to keep in mind is that their most exclusive kaiseki meal needs to be reserved 5 days in advance, and is intended for 2 or more people. The lead time is so that some of the harder to get ingredients can be imported from France. I was dining alone, and only decided to dine there the night before, so was unable to have the top-level kaiseki. However, when I return (and I will return) I will bring a friend and give plenty of advance notice.

This restaurant is very, very expensive, but in my estimation it was worth every single yen. The do offer less expensive lunch meals, as well.

I've been to some of the very best restaurants in the world, and this one is definitely one of them. Chef Inoue is a gentleman, a culinary master, and an artist. The staff is excellent and food is unbelievably good. The cost is not cheap, but the memories will last you for a lifetime.

• Visited December 2011