“Excellent break from Japanese food”
Review of Cafe Bar Gael

Cafe Bar Gael
Ranked #115 of 267 Bars & Pubs in Kyoto
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Neighborhood: Gion
Neighborhood: Gion
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We were trying to find something to give us a break from Japanese food and wasn't called McDonalds. I found this place on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try (not after stopping at another Irish Pub.....another review on that place).

I had the fish and chips. Loved the chips and the fish was pretty darn good.

My son had the shepards pie. The portion was small but it was reasonably priced and he enjoyed it.

My wife had the burger. I tasted it and I would have enjoyed it if I ordered one. I would have gotten the large one though as the regular size portion was a bit small.

Overall this was a great stop for us. It was a bit of a walk from our hotel but it was well worth it. I would most definitely return.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stopped by this Irish pub for a few after dinner drinks. Overall, I was fairly disappointed.

We ordered a cider, an Irish coffee and a plate of chips to share. Despite the fact that it was only us and 2 other tables in the entire bar, they somehow forgot our fries. When they did finally show up, they were still half frozen; most of the of the chips were cold or luke warm. The Irish coffee was also disappointing - the coffee was terrible, if it wasn't for the whisky it wouldn't have been drinkable. On top of that, it wasn't cheap. I paid 900-1000 yen for a bottle of magners cider.

The free wifi was a nice touch, but the food/drink we had were crummy and the atmosphere was not any different than that of any other Irish pub in the world. Unless you are desperate for a non-Japanese bar/meal, I would give it a miss.

2  Thank siobhanhughes
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a wonderful spot. During our year in Japan, we tried many small pubs but nothing came close to our experience here. We visited Kyoto often, and rushed here as soon as we could. If there was music, it was magical. There were always English books to read; you could log on to the Internet for free for awhile; there were English visitors to talk to if you wanted to, and Japanese and English-speakers share a warmth here that I found nowhere else in the country. It's basic, good-tasting pub fare but a pretty big menu and western-sized servings. What made it special to us was the friendliness of the staff and the welcoming atmosphere. After our first visit, we were usually greeted by name! We were there during the royal wedding and were indulged with having the TV on for it the whole thing. Once we arrived when an informal wedding party and were just invited to join in. We carried the glow of the Gael Pub experience with us until our next visit. We live in Italy and Boston, Massachusetts now, and still miss this pub.

It's unprepossessing from the outside--you think, how nice can it be, upstairs in an office-style building? But when you're inside, you know you're home.

1  Thank LongTimeTraveler_11
Reviewed June 14, 2012

A traditional-feeling Irish pub / bar upstairs in what looks like an office building.

We stopped in for a drink after dinner one evening. There was a birthday party going on so it was a bit noisy - just what we like in a pub.

Got to talking with an British ex-pat who brings his bulldog to the bar!

Guinness on tap and good bar food.

What more could you want?

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Great atmosphere! You feel like you have left Japan. If you are looking for a place to have a quality beer poured correctly then look no further. The food is good too! You don't find this type of bar very often in Japan.