“This is the way to eat tempura”
Review of Tenyu - MOVED

Tenyu
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinkyogoku Shopping District
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Chose this tiny restaurant based on TA reviews and weren't disappointed, though it was pricier than we expected (hadn't seen the latest review, which included a price). We walked by it 3 times before finally spotting the small sign above the entry. We were fortunate to get seated though we had no reservation--the staff couldn't have been nicer. We chose the least expensive of the 3 options--8 small servings of tempura, plus a small cup of miso soup, a cold tofu appetizer (delicious citrus flavor), and jellied pear for dessert. Plus a large beer and cold sake. Approximately $210 for the two of us. But it was a sweet place to spend our money. The young waiter spoke English and was helpful in guiding us and explaining the kinds of tempura we were served and how best to dress it. The chef was charming and meticulous. The tempura included shrimp heads and bodies (separate), bitter beans, uni (sea urchin) and nori, shiitake mushrooms, 2 kinds of fish, pumpkin, and a fried donut-like ball. Excellent! So glad we didn't give up on our search.

2  Thank apriltownsend

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Wow! What an experience. Wandered in, looking rather lost (I was, after failing to find the place recommended by my hotel). A tiny space, centred around the chef's cooking space. Appears to be family run. Almost no English spoken, but the language of superb food was easy to comprehend.

At dinner, options for a variety of set menus, I opted for the cheapest, which at ~US$90 was not inexpensive. But my, was it a meal to remember! Course after course of the most delectable tempura. Some of the courses are tiny -- and at the beginning of the meal, I was concerned that after burning a whole in my pocket, I'll still leave hungry, but no, left extremely full and satisfied. The last course of the rice and tempura and pickles was also stunning, despite its simplicity.

It was delicious, reverent and memorable.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had experienced Tempura only outside of Japan before and to be honest I never really liked it much, too much batter, too oily, bland. My wife convinced me to give it another chance in the country itself and Ten Yu was the place where we were going to try it out. The place itself is quite nicely decorated, modern simple and efficient: an L shaped bar overlooking the cook's kitchen. We went for the 8 dish experience and from the first dish, Shrimp Tempura, I realised that my previous tempura experiences were more akin to getting vegetables from the local chipper. And it only got better, Urchin wrapped in Nori, Asparagus, Eel and Shiso... Bliss! On the personnel side, the staff were real nice, cook & waiting staff were doing their best to describe what were digging into with such pleasure :)
By the way it is a small place so book ahead, last order is at 9PM!

1  Thank Makuanui
Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you like your tempura, then this is the place for you!
This was recommended to us by the hotel staff and we were extremely pleased. We were greeted with the most wonderful hospitality in a very lovely building. The fittings were simple yet elegant. We were seated at a bar style setting surrounding the chefs while they worked their magic!
The food was nothing short of exceptional. Beautifully prepared with amazing flavours! This restaurant will not disappoint!
It is on the expensive side but you are paying for quality and that is exactly what you get. When in Kyoto, do give this place a try!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Dinner here was excellent with 7 different types of Tempura and a main dish+miso and desert. Highly recommend it, especially sitting at counter watching them cook.