“Picky about cleanliness”

Ranked #15 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Washington D.C
“Picky about cleanliness”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We chose this hotel because for our family of three we were able to get a room to accommodate us at a reasonable price in a great location. The room we had was with 2 twin beds and a 3rd one added for our child. Made the room a bit cramped but honestly no more than I would expect from a hotel in a major city outside the US.

I am super picky about cleanliness in hotels and I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel. From the lobby, to the elevators, to the hallways, and our room everything was impeccably clean and obviously well maintained. I read reviews about smoke but we did not have a problem nor did I smell anything in the hallways or through the vents.

The staff was very kind and friendly, helped us several times with train and bus routes for particular sites. I read one review where they stated the desk would not call a cab: we had exactly the opposite experience. They called the cab then asked us to stay inside until the cab arrived. Once it arrived they called the desk and then the staff walked out with us to ensure we were all set.

I can't comment on the restaurant or tea/coffee service because we didn't use them, instead opting for less expensive options outside the front doors. Tons of options all within a 1-2 block walk.
For Sushi: Take a right out the hotel entrance, go straight across the major road, and a great little sushi-go-round is right in front of you.
For Yakiniku (Japanese BBQ, cook your own): Try Gyu-Kaku which is a major chain with very friendly staff and English menus. Take a right out of the hotel entrance, go straight across the major road into the covered shopping area. Almost immediately on the left is the entrance.
For pizza (after several days of raw fish, curry, and cook your own meat we opted to appease the kiddo): Turn left out of the hotel. Walk about 1/2 block. Right before a small picturesque stream on the left you will see the Italian pizza place on the lowest level of the building. Try the Fried Gnocchi! (Also, further down this block, before the river, there is a Starbucks if you just have to have it.)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DCTravelerDC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Good quality hotel in the shopping and restaurant area of central Kyoto. Nice staff, clean rooms, smart common areas. The bedrooms were spacious enough but fairly plain in terms of decor. Quiet at night and beds not as hard as some in Japan. Breakfast is expensive and we would suggest you use the boulangerie adjacent at street level where 3 people can have breakfast for the price of one in the Royal Park hotel. If you like a morning run you can easily get to the riverside path which is level, wide and away from the traffic.

Room Tip: go for superior twin
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shentone
Leeds
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in this hotel and found it great, could not fault the rooms, service or location. The showers are fantastic!

We tried the restaurant one evening and it was fine, the food was good, came out at random times which led to a rather fragmented dining experience. The fish was a little dry but my partners meal was tasty. Portions were a little on the small side (though we do like our food) and because it said it came with vegetables we didn't order extra, however I didn't feel there was one portion, just a couple of small pieces. The price was very reasonable though.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We stayed I'm a premium deluxe room and I felt it was good value.

• Stayed October 2013
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so how do i justify that title?

1) Location. The hotel is (as everyone says) really well located. Its easy to get to many of the sights on foot (Pontocho, Gion, etc) and we walked all over (even as far as the Inari Shrine). Its a good couple of miles from Kyoto Station (about ¥1000 in taxi) but there are plently of busses or you can hire bikes from as little as ¥500 a day an whizz about in those.

2) Rooms. Good sized room (for Kyoto and for the price) and clean
And modern. Bathroom is great with usual techno toilet and a separate bath and shower room. Once in the rain shower I wanted to stay in and had to be dragged out

3) Staff. We found them very helpful and polite but didn't have much need to ask them anything.

4) amenities. In room- excellent I thought. TV, tea and coffee, fridge, safe. Ice and vending machines down the hall. 2nd floor washers and dryers (¥100 needed but reception will help) very good as include detergent etc for your money. Only ate in restaurant once and whilst it was nice the service was average and the portions small so it doesn't feel like great value.

Overall I would stay here again and would recommend it!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Individual_11
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a great hotel, in the center of Kyoto, near all kinds of buses, subway, covered shopping mails, and walking distance from Pontochio and Gion. The folks at the front desk are extremely helpful with advice, recommendations, directions, etc. They prepare some information sheets with about bus locations, changing money, etc. Rooms are comfortable, tasteful and well appointed. Great plumbing, instant hot showers. The small double is kind of small, so try for a larger room if possible. The bakery cafe next door serves Western style breakfast for under $7 including beverage and is open by 7 am.

Room Tip: avoid small double if possible, kind of small for two people
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LorenzoBrown
London
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Royal Park Hotel The Kyoto - simply one of the best city hotels I have stayed!

Booked the hotel 2 months before I travel, price was okay, reasonable maybe a little bit higher than its peers but I reckon this still proves value for money.

I asked my Japanese friend to send my Moss Temple visit card to the hotel. I checked with the hotel and it arrived safely and they kept them well.

I also need to check with a local restaurant regarding my wife's dietary requirements. Again I emailed the hotel and they called the restaurant and confirmed everything would be all right.

So really they started serving you before you even arrive!

Upon arrival, we checked in and found the room was spacious, long shape rather than square but that didn't bother us. Bathroom was well equipped - maybe the basin was a bit small but that didn't bother us. Bed was comfortable and air-con was really working fine. TV channel was a bit lacking but that didn't bother us either.

Location - fantastic, walkable to Gion and surrounding shopping districts, can't be more convenient!

Food - didn't try at the hotels as we are room only, but you have ample choices around you. Compared to what we have in Britain, you live in food heaven!

Wifi - best signals and speed I have experienced, so fast that you can't believe you are sharing with many guests, and most importantly, it's free.

Check-out - very good and the front desk lady even brought luggage for us to taxi and waved after we left, very impressive.

All in all, fantastic experience stay at Royal Park Hotel. If I return Kyoto next time, which I am sure I will, I would not hesitate to come back and stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Catskill, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We found this place on a last minute booking when our other plans changed, and were happy, although not exactly wowed with the choice (with two exceptions - see below). The location is good, although not easy to find at first as this hotel is one block from another with a very similar name. Our room was comfortable, and fairly roomy by urban hotel standards, nothing fancy or particularly memorable. However, it has two real standout features downstairs: the bar, and the breakfast buffet. At the bar, we were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in the care of a real mixologist - not that we ordered anything special, but we got to see him in action. This is one of those places where your drink is served with one giant, perfectly clear, globe of ice, which is not something you find every day. And the breakfast buffet is really excellent. I happen to love Japanese breakfasts, and this place had the real deal, which is not terribly surprising, as there is a substantial Japanese clientele at this hotel. Kyoto is the home of the most famous pickle makers in Japan, and this hotel had their products on the buffet! The western style breakfasts were also well above average. . . . I get a real chuckle at the rather curious logo for the hotel. It says "THE."

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple