“comfortable, small rooms”

Hotel Kintetsu Kyoto Station
Ranked #39 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed January 7, 2014

the hotel is located in Kyoto train station. you can see the train going,
but you don't hear them thanks to triple glazing in the windows.
the hotel is comfortable, you get all you need, although the room is small.
No wi.fi. in the room, only in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kintetsu Kyoto Station

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I was disappointed already before I checked in! Yesterday my family and I have just arrived at Kyoto, and we'd like to put two of our luggages at the front desk before our checking in tomorrow because we need to go somewhere else first. We tried to express our request, but an intern, named Shibazaki, was not helpful at all nor trying to help. He just turned down our request which I have never experienced in other hotels in my life. We tried to ask if there is any other solution, but he just told us to find some other locker in the train station. What really pissed me off is his remote, indifference attitude when we were trying to ask for some more details. So inevitably we have to drag our luggages all the way around Kyoto Station before we can find one locker. (Actually the lockers we found were outside the train station, not even in the direction that the intern pointed out for us!)

I myself also work in a hotel and would strive not to let any of my customer down. At the very least I would try my best to find a solution to my customer's request. I have always thought that Japanese people, especially those who work in hotel business, are kind and polite and willing to assist their customers in need of help, and that's why I decided take my whole family to travel in Japan. Such a bad example like this intern has already ruined my trip in Kyoto before it started and ruined my impression to this hotel even before checking in. I really need someone to be responsible and apologize for this.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank AllyCheng
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel twice. This is a standard Japanese business class hotel that is very conveniently located inside the main train terminal in Kyoto. Rooms are average size with a decent bathroom. Wired internet is provided free in the room. Beds are comfortable and each room has a miniature fridge for keeping 3 or 4 beverages. Despite being located next to the train tracks, the rooms are quiet. The TV has CNN in english. The lighting in my bathroom was a little dim making it hard to put in contact lenses. Check-in time is strictly enforced at 3pm although free luggage storage is provided. The central train station in Kyoto is not especially close to major shopping or tourist areas although there are many buses, a subway and train lines originating there for others parts of the city.

In short, this is a fine, clean, reasonable if modest hotel that is very convenient if one doesn't want to stray too far from the train station.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my friend whilst we toured Kyoto. The location is obviously a massive boon, as you can immediately drop your bags in the locker store before heading out. Leaving on the last day was also made stress free by the locale.

The room was small but very neat and clean, with brand new fittings. When my friend asked for an extra blanket we found it waiting for us when we returned that day. On the first night we went down to reception to ask about specialty food in the area, and the lady was incredibly helpful and informative.

There are no extra frills for this place, hence the 4 stars, but it really is all you need when you spend most your time out and don't want to eat at the hotel. We also got a great deal including the shinkansen from JTB, just under 30,000 yen each.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanne D
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

When you are in Kyoto there are many places to go, and I just needed a convenient hotel to have a good night sleep. This hotel is right above the station, new and clean at reasonable price. Since it is so close to railways I could hear those train noise a bit, but not loud to bother me. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Located on the top of Kintetsu Kyoto station adjacent to Shinkansen station, you can just go down one level by an escalator from the exit of the station to the front desk. It takes only a few minutes, and polite, efficient staff is waiting for you.

It is a brand new hotel in an excellent location. As a matter of fact, this was the only reason I reserved a room in this hotel. However, the hotel was more that I had expected. While it is still a 'business' hotel and thus there is no restaurant for lunch/dinner. You actually do not need them as you can easily find them in Kyoto station and its adjacent underground shopping areas within a walking distance.

The room, which is an average size for a Japanese business hotel of this class, and the view is not particularly impressive unless you like trains, it has a larger-than-average bed, a flat screen TV, LAN (free, however no wifi), bath amenities. It has a Japanese style bath-tub, and I was impressed that the water automatically stops when you fill the tub with water. I was also pleased that there was a deodorant spray you can use for your clothes.

The vending machines were on each floor and the price of the goods was not so-called 'hotel price' but was the same as the machines outside.

While the breakfast area may be crowded during peak times in the morning, there should be no major problem. With the location, facility and the price, this hotel will definitely be my choice for my next trip to Kyoto.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PaddingtonTokyo
Reviewed July 3, 2013

For the second time, I stayed here for two nights. Very convenient location if you have business in the downtown. The station itself seems to have many spots to look around. I had a conference at the convention center and it took only 20 minutes by subway. Including walks, it took less than 30 minutes. The room is larger in my opinion than typical Japanese rooms, although small from American standards. It is extremely well maintained. There is no carpet smell which may not be unusual in the hotels of the similar price range. Maids start working a bit early, so you hear cleaning unless you leave the room early. Without 'do not disturb' card on the door, maids seem to check every rooms that they are supposed to clean.

Wifi is not available, but they provide free wired connection. Although I was not successful, I think ad-hoc connection from a laptop might work to make your own wifi connection. Also, some of the tourist spots are located quite close within walking distance.

It does not have a business center, nor a swimming pool; does not have a restaurant by itself (doesn't have to considering many restaurants within the station complex). Value-wise, I think this hotel cannot be beaten in the area. I will definitely stay here again if I visit Kyoto.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business