“Tea, japanese style”

Tea Ceremony Experience En
Ranked #19 of 92 Classes & Workshops in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: En is a small Japanese-style teahouse in the Gion area of Kyoto. You can enjoy an authentic tea ceremony experience first hand. Tea ceremony (the way of tea) is one of Japan's traditional cultural practices, and is a name given to an art that synthesizes the preparation and drinking of tea together with spirituality, history, architecture, the appreciation of handmade tea utensils. En offers a participatory introduction to Japanese tea ceremony for everyone to enjoy!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

On our recent visit to japan we managed to attend a tea ceremony. Having heard and read so much about it i was ready to tread in this wonderland. Let me be frank i have never ever tasted tea, so i will not delve into the taste part but the ceremony part. It was like entering a temple, later it turned out to be a temple, all the shoes neatly arranged with mute voices. And then after a brief intro and a really nice sweet treat the ceremony began like a well choreographed dance sequence. The girl conducting was charming to say the least. But at the end of the day it lacked the punch that i was expecting. If u get a chance go for it. Kyoto is beautiful. The city is gorgeous, everybody shd go that city once in their lifetime.

There are newer reviews for Tea Ceremony Experience En

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We not only were able to attend a short version of a ritual tea ceremony but we arranged to do it in formal attire. Both my wife and I were dressed in kimonos. A beautiful white silk with a floral design for my wife and a standard dark design for me. They dressed us which took about 20-30 minutes and explained the process all in impeccable English. We then went downstairs to a Japanese tea room complete with tatami mats. Our host explained the history and importance of the tea ceremony and went thru a short portion. ( I understand that a full ceremony is about 4 hours). We were then given the opportunity to mix the tea and present it properly to each other. This was a fabulous cultural experience arranged thru WAK Japan.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We never had the opportunity to stay in a Ryokan, so this was the next best thing. Tea plays a major role in Japanese society, and this was an interesting insight into the history, process and tradition of tea and the formal tea ceremony.

I certainly learnt a lot, and coupled with enjoying the tea and some sweets, it's an enjoyable way to spend an hour in Kyoto.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The ceremony was explained in English 1st as well as the history behind the ceremony, then the ceremony begins and you are given a cup of Matcha Uji Tea and a Kyoto sweet

1  Thank iPanic
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having been to a lengthy Japanese tea ceremony, I wanted to go to En to find out more about what happens at these ceremonies, and what everything means! I was not disappointed: this experience is designed to demystify the basic elements of the Japanese tea ceremony for English-speakers, and does so most effectively, and in a very pleasant, tranquil environment. It was both useful and interesting in what it revealed about Japanese culture, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in tea ceremonies and in what those who run the ceremonies are required to learn about, too. Good value as it's an unusual attraction (a couple like it are available in Kyoto, but it seemed the best value) - and the tea whisks and spoons (and bowls) are good value too. Very enjoyable.

1  Thank TankGrrrl