“Great Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

A friend and I stayed for four nights and loved it. Good sized twin beds in a good sized room. Great comfy beds and close by to transport and walking distance to a lot of attractions. Very helpful staff. Would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarolynA813

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Venice, Florida
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family took a 2 week trip to Tokyo Japan to visit family. We planned a trip for 12 of us to go to Kyoto for a night and see the sights. My brother found the website for the Best Western in Kyoto and we all booked some rooms. A total of 6 rooms. It was easy to find right off the main street. The staff was wonderful. The accomodations were great. Each room had 2 full size beds. Since there were 2 of us in the room we had to pair of very comfortable cotton pajamas waiting for us. Being an American male I didnt think mine would fit so I didnt even try them on. My wife however loved them so much she inquired into buying them. They were $40. Check in isnt til 3pm and we arrived around noon. The concierge staff was happy to take our bags and keep them for us while we explored the city. Our bags were waiting for us in our rooms when we came back.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Each room even had a bottle of room sanitizer at the entrance to each room.

The only downside to my stay here was that they only had wireless internet down in the lobby. They did however have a LAN connection in each room. Unfortunately for me, I only had a tablet and smartphone with me.

Other than that I found it very reasonable ( actually inexpensive for Japan). I would definitely recommend this place to everyone and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank Z
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 3, 2013

stayed for 2 nights at the recommendation of other reviewers, at 13275 yen a nite. It comes with a really good-value breakfast for the room rate. We took a bus from the kyoto station to the hotel, then back-tracked n walked for 5 mins till we saw KFC across the road, then take the alley facing KFC. Now the location- yes close to the nishiki market but that shouldnt be the only place u go right coz it doesnt have the best food. The location is a very easy 10mins of walking to takashimaya which is the centre of town, n most importantly 15 mins to Gion area, where u are going to go a lot n will find lots to drink n eat. So stay here coz u dont hv to take any transportation actually if u r there for 2 days. This is the cheapest hotel we stayed on our trip but delivers the best value. free wifi at the lobby area. Staff are quite friendly n helpful with directions. Hotel is clean. toilet is clean n bathtub is a gd size. If u are undecided abt ryokans or business hotels when in Kyoto, let me give u my 2-cents' worth of advice - business hotels like the Best Western always deliver the BEST value. Ryokans cost much much more but facilities aren't great except for the cultural experience.

2 Thank mordecai12
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights and it was the best hotel we ever had in Japan (or even outside Japan)! The staff were all very friendly and all spoke English. I wish I took down the name of the receptionist who was extra helpful. I got my bus booked through them and they helped me book another Best Western elsewhere in Japan. All these horror stories of tiny and cramp hotel rooms in Japan made me worried but our room at Best Western Kyoto is spacious and clean. They were very generous with the amenities and we liked the pyjamas too - a bit difficult to accept at first but they were so comfortable, we missed them when we went elsewhere afterwards. They had the wooden/paper sliding windows/doors which add to the decor - definitely want me to have this in my own house!

We were right in the middle of the shopping street - Kawaramachi area - with lots of restaurants to choose from. It made a very memorable stay for us. And it was not expensive! (In my vote, I have to put terrible for Swimming Pool and Kids activities because it is not provided for by the hotel)

Room Tip: We had the 4th floor and had not heard a single noise, neither from the street below nor the rooms n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lillian Y
Montreal
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in May. The hotel is off a main street. It was surprisingly easy to find, just look for the Loft department store. The hotel is across the street and a 5 second walk down the alley.
Upon check-in, I was given a room upgrade from a single to a double. The room was huge, especially by Japanese standards! Perfect size for 2 people and I was only 1! Actually bigger than some BW's in the US! Very weird L-shaped configuration though, with a very long and narrow hallway. They could have used some of that space to enlarge the bathroom, which was typical Japanese - small! However the water pressure in the shower was great and the usual toiletries.
There was a nice little sitting area with a couch and table, right near the fridge. Btw: The fridge is not a mini bar, you can actually put your own drinks and food in there! So not American!!
The room was a bit dingy, but very clean. They provided a humidifier too. There was a kettle and coffee and tea bags. The coffee was in a little filter bag, you attach the 2 ends to the edge of the coffee cup, open up the filter and pour in the hot water - one of the coolest 'contraptions' I've ever seen!! Plus the coffee was good!!
But back to the room...The bed was very comfortable and pillows too. You also get pajamas! It took me awhile to figure out how to turn off the side lamps attached to the bed. The 'switch' was covered up by the pillows! So it is located in the middle of the headboard, but closer to the bottom!
The staff were very nice, polite and helpful - typical in Japan! Most of them spoke English very well, which was great! The location is excellent, close to the train, subway, 7-11 (for a North American card-friendly ATM) and many attractions. Tons of restaurants right outside the hotel. One night we went to the sushi bar next door. It was our first authentic Japanese sushi bar experience! Instead of plates, they put the sushi directly on the counter top, one piece at a time! Fun experience! Great fresh fish too, not expensive and totally 'local'. We were the only 'westerners' there! We also tried a little noodle shop a bit down the alley to the right as you exit the hotel. Very good!
The only negative about the hotel was lack of in room WIFI. However, my room was probably over the lobby, because sometimes I was able to pick up the WIFI signal in my room! Strange thing though, I did notice a WIFI router in the hallway - not sure why our whole group was not able to connect?
Overall, I would recommend this hotel. The price was very good for Japan and as I mentioned, you can't beat the location!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great location close to Pontocho, Nishiki market and Teramachi dori. Helpful staff. The room was a bit tiny (as usual in Japan) but totally comfortable. I would stay there again If I ever go back to Kyoto.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We booked this hotel to stay at on our honeymoon recently and we had booked a non-smoking room. On arrival they informed us they didn't have a non-smoking room available but assured us that they had cleaned the room out. When we entered our room it stunk of smoke! We are both non-smokers and couldn't stand the smell. We asked to be moved to another room and were told that the hotel was booked out and they had no other rooms available. We found it quite disappointing as they has confirmed our booking as a non-smoking room and didn't tell us otherwise until we arrived. We decided to move hotels, which was a pain, but on the plus side they refunded us the full amount.

2 Thank Kristymarcon