“Best Western Kyoto”

Ranked #26 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Australia
“Best Western Kyoto”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have just returned from Kyoto were we stayed at the Best Western. It is down a little ally way and took us a while to find it. Its easier if you get of the bus or taxi at the LOFT store and walk down the ally. BW is a new hotel and very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was not included with our deal but you can purchase it there when you arrive i think it was about 2000 yen each. However there is a Starbucks on the corner (out the hotel turn right) open at 7.30am or we walked to Gourmet City the stores to the left of Starbucks, and purchased Breakfast cereal in a box ,carton of milk, strawberries, bananas, yoghurt and a fruit pastry for 1000 yen. This lasted 4 days with us re purchasing the pastry each evening before going back to the hotel.

The hotel is in a great location, (out the door turn right 1 min walk) and you are in a hugh covered mall with lanes going all over the place, easy to get lost. As you enter the mall area turn left and walk until you come to a crossway (look at the ceiling it should be strips of colored glass) this is the Nishki Markets open until 5pm.

It is full of food and fish and interesting things on a stick hmmm. The covered mall areas have lots of restaurants for you to eat in and theres even KFC for those who are not so adventures McDonalds is about a 10 min walk from the hotel, but we had Japanese food each night . Theres a great restaurant just next to the hotel in the ally, set menus. The temple district is only a 15 min easy walk from BW. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jjoz08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night. Location wise this hotel is very close to sanjo station, its walkable distance from sanjo station. Breakfast is worst, as we are foreign tourists, with name western i thought there will be western breakfast. But to my surprise there is only cornflakes, bread is worst. I suggest look for another hotel which has good breakfast option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank iamy2rams
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is near (a brief walk) to Karasuma Oike subway station, which can be accessed from Kyoto Station, and hence it is very simple to reach. The room was small but completely adequate, with a double bed, and it was very clean. I had asked for a non-smoking room, and I was pleased to find that there was not even a hint of smoke in the air in the room or the entire floor. I found the air-conditioning to be adequate. The room also had free internet; I only needed wired internet, so I don't know if the hotel has Wi-Fi as well. In addition, there was an internet equipped machine in the lobby which was available to use. The staff spoke more than enough English for me to communicate without difficulty and were very polite and keen to help; I don't know if this is standard or not in Japan, but I was even offered the free use of an umbrella when leaving on a rainy day. The hotel is very close to Nishiki Market and I reached it via Teramachi Street. As a result, there is an abundance of restaurants, shops, and marketplace sellers nearby. This does not mean that you can hear any noise from within the hotel, which was very quiet. Other popular tourist spots are also nearby, including (but not limited to) Maruyama Park and the Gion entertainment area.

Room Tip: The toilet had a remote control - make sure your partner does not steal it when you aren't looki...
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here recently and was expecting it to be a bit rough – small rooms, not much service as I had seen in a few other hotels. The rooms are smallish, but they are well laid out and made the most of the space with only a few things I found annoying (and small things). Generally the space was designed rather than just existing, so it was possible to move around, store stuff etc – it shouldn’t be worthy of praise but in some small hotels they do not do this well.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and have great English mostly. The lobby looks nice but is constantly packed with people because there is no wifi in the rooms, only LAN cable (which will be no good for those with iPhones etc only). As a result there always seemed to be a large group checking emails and Facebook etc and it made the place feel a bit unwelcoming and busy when it wasn’t – not sure why they limit wifi like this.

The breakfast was good, with good choice of Japanese and western to suit. Rooms were well cleaned and prepared during the day; my only issue was that the air conditioning seemed to be centrally controlled so if they decided to have them on “cool” then you couldn’t have yours on “heat” – not a big deal but one day it was warm outside (so they set them on “cool”) but our room had no sunlight so was a bit chilly and we couldn’t heat it – but it was only a little chilly, not too bad.

Generally I was very pleased with the hotel – well designed rooms, clean, welcoming and only a few issues with it.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I read on tripadvisor about this hotel before my decision to book this place to stay. My sister and I stayed for 3 nights and I must say we had a great stay at this hotel. The receptionists spoke fluent English and were friendly. The room (twin room) was a surprise as it was very spacious. The only draw back was that the room had a cigarette smell but thankfully it was eliminated with the help of the air purifier in the room and the air spray I bought.

The location of the hotel was great as there was a bus stop just a minute or two away from the hotel which brought us to the various places we wanted to visit in Kyoto. Furthermore, there was a department stores; several food outlets and a shopping arcade which were all within walking distance.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were there in March for Kyoto Marathon 2013. The location is perfect for us. My friend is a runner, but I am a tourist. It's two stops by MRT from our hotel to Marathon start point.The hotel itself is located near in the biggest shopping center in Kyoto. Around this area, it is very easy to find sourvnior to buy as well as food to enjoy. We found lots of chain food store recommended by guide book here within 5 min walk from this hotel. Also there's a famous food store "京極かねよ 鰻魚飯" on the same street within 1 min walk. Although the room is a little too small, we think it's enough for two people stay. Also it is very clean and the room is well designed with Japanese style window and lamp which are the part I like.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
France
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Best Western Kyoto is a modern hotel constructed in the last few years in a very central location in Kyoto. More specifically the hotel is located in a small pedestrian street very close to the galleries of the Teramachi arcade and the wonderful Nishiki market (a covered arcade) and a stone's throw from the Kamo river and the streets and alleys that run next to it which a full of restaurants, bars and izakaya. In addition a number of the principle bus routes run very close by.

The hotel itself has comfortable rooms which are well appointed. The only problem of note is that the air conditioning is centrally controlled for all rooms and on our visit was set to on the high side (24 degrees). The breakfasts are an inviting mix of western and japanese choices (buffet). The hotel staff were in general pleasant and helpful (the gentleman in charge of the breakfast room was especially attentive to the point that he checked that I knew what I was getting when I took some natto beans and made a suggestion on how one should go about eating them with one's rice etc!).

We stayed during the peak of "Sakura" (cherry blossoms) and, as such, the room rate was very high (250 euros/night for a double room). Apart from this we would recommend this hotel as a good choice for those looking for good standard western style accomodation in Kyoto.

One should, if possible, come with a good map and the hotel's name and address written in Japanese. As the hotel is very new and somewhat hidden from the street our taxi driver (from the railway station) had to stop at a Koban (police box) and ask for directions !

Room Tip: If a non smoker be sure to request a non smoking room. Twin rooms are larger than doubles.
2 Thank Voyageur99France