“Great for families traveling with children”

Kyoto Urban Adventures
$81.10*
Small-group Kyoto Walking Tour including Traditional Japanese Snacks and Drinks
Ranked #4 of 138 Outdoor Activities in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: Kyoto Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Kyoto. They range from 3 to 8 hour adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Kyoto. A local expert guide will take you on your urban adventure and give you valuable insights into the cultural capital of Japan.
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We did the bike tour our first day, and it was a great introduction. Kaz speaks excellent English and gave us a lot of insight into Japanese culture and regions. The bikes were sized perfectly for the children, and Kaz was very patient with the kids questions and at times, leisurely pace. I highly recommend Kaz and urban adventures.

1  Thank Traveler123020

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We did our tour in Kyoto with our guide Kaz, a very smart and funny guy, who provided us a lot of information, answers to all our questions .We realized that without him we could not discover so much from Japanese culture.This is because, yesterday we went ourselves to visit Nara, we manage to see some important things but no information was supplied by anyone because we did not have any guide.
Kaz provided us a very exciting tour of the most important Kyoto sightseeing places. I am really sorry that we did not booked more trips with Kyoto Urban Adventures since we are leaving tomorrow Kyoto.But, we will surely book another trips with this company ! Thank you Kaz! Thank you Kyoto Urban Adventure! See you soon...

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I took the group tour with Kyoto Urban Adventures and had a great time. It was a 4 person group and our guide, Kaz, is fluent in English and Japanese. He's an enthusiastic guide who provided a fun tour that included a lot of background on the temples, shrines and Kyoto life in general. This half-day group tour is a good value since we covered so much ground that day while learning so much about the area. I'd highly recommend taking this tour when you first get into Kyoto to help familiarize yourself with the city.

I was able to keep the rental bike for a few hours after the tour ended so I could explore a little more. The rental bikes are from a shop near Kyoto Station so just know that this area can be a little confusing if you're new to the town. I got a little lost near the station coming back but luckily the shop stayed open until I returned. If you keep the bike after the tour I'd suggest adding in an extra 15-20 minutes to find the shop since they close at 6.

Also note that one of the members of our group was 20 minutes late showing up at the meet-up location (in front of the post office, next to Lawsons). The rest of the group had to wait for him so if you take this tour please make an effort to show up on time so it doesn't affect the rest of the group. Kaz kindly extended the end time of our tour to make up for the time we lost waiting for the last person but doing so probably cut into his lunch time between tours.

In general though, a big thumbs up to this tour!

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I did both the bike and the walking tours with Kaz. The groups were 6 and 3 people respectively. Good areas covered on both tours which were different from each other and from the JTB Sunrise morning tour (excellent but much larger groups) which I also took. The value for the money was excellent for Urban adventures relative to other options in Kyoto especially given the almost private nature. Excellent option for solo travellers.

Gareth J, General Manager at Kyoto Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thanks for posting such a great review! Our trip leader in Kyoto is Kaz and he's doing a fantastic job in showing visitors to Kyoto all the best that this fascinating city has to offer. Whether you're interested in walking or cycling (or both!) and Urban Adventures tour is great introduction to some of the hidden aspects of the city that only the locals know about. Happy travelling!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We did the small group tour and bicycling tour with our tour guide, Kaz. Both were fantastic way to see the city and all that it has to offer. The bicyling tour was also a good workout! Our tourguide Kaz was fun, friendly, and made sure we learned about Kyoto while having a good time. In fact, my bag fell into the river while we were bicyling, and he jumped in to get it! Talk about customer service!

I can't recommend the tours and our tourguide enough!

1  Thank vinder_sodhi