“Half day cycling tour of Kyoto”

Kyoto Urban Adventures
$65.63*
Small-group Kyoto Walking Tour including Traditional Japanese Snacks and Drinks
Ranked #4 of 140 Outdoor Activities in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: Kyoto Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Kyoto. They range from 3 to 8 hour adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Kyoto. A local expert guide will take you on your urban adventure and give you valuable insights into the cultural capital of Japan.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our family really enjoyed our morning adventure with Sebastian, cycling around the streets and sites of Kyoto. It was well-paced and interesting, even for our two children aged 9 and 11, and Sebastian proved to be an informative guide, taking us to places in the city that we may never have appreciated without him. As we decided to take this tour at the start of our stay in Kyoto, it was very useful to gain our bearings and to help us to determine the areas we would like to revisit later, at our leisure. It was also great that we were the only ones on our tour so we were able to control where we headed and how long we stayed at each attraction. Thanks again, Sebastian, we had a great time!

1  Thank Mardi68
Gareth J, Manager at Kyoto Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your Urban Adventure in Kyoto. Sebastian is one of our newer guides and is getting a great response. Reading your feedback has made our day!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great way to see Kyoto! Nathan was an excellent guide - fun, friendly, and knowledgeable. It was a small group tour (6 participants plus Nathan). Four of us went - we're not avid cyclists and not particularly in shape - but the distance and pacing of the stops on this tour was great, so it was enjoyable and very manageable. Route was excellent - paths and wide sidewalks most of the way, so didn't have to fight traffic. Urban Adventures uses bikes from a rental shop next to Kyoto station, so the selection and condition of the bikes were excellent. It was our first day in Kyoto and an excellent introduction to the sights. Lots of other bikers in Kyoto. Interesting sights and observations from Nathan. Highly recommend.

1  Thank C C
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I had a short trip to Japan spending a few days in Tokyo and a couple of days in Kyoto. Since our time was so short we decided to take the half day guided tour as soon as we arrived in Kyoto to help us get our bearings and give us some ideas for things to see and do over the following couple of days.
Firstly, our guide, Kaori, was excellent. As with everyone we met in Japan she was extremely pleasant and couldn't do enough to help us. The tour itinerary covered a number of memorable sights (there are so many in Kyoto). Kaori took us around very efficiently and answered all of our questions.
We were in Kyoto when the Gion Matsuri festival was on so there was a really good atmosphere in the city with many people dressed in beautiful Yukata summer Kimonos. Our tour culminated in Gion just before 6pm, just in time to catch a few magical glimpses of Geisha and Maiko scurrying away to appointments.
As I mentioned, there's a lot to see in Kyoto and Kaori kindly marked a few must-see's on a map for us which was really helpful.
I highly recommend this tour as a starting point for your time in Kyoto where you'll see a little bit of everything and have your appetite whetted for more of what this wonderful old city has to offer.

2  Thank Graham D
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I took the City of Culture, Kyoto Tour 2 weeks ago. This was our first "guided tour" in Japan, and since we were boxed out of going on several other walking tour options since they were full, we decided to go with this group. We are both in our 30s and had been in tokyo for 6 days, and in kyoto for 3 days. Since our knowledge of Japan had been confined to what we read in our guidebooks, we were hoping to get some more insight into japanese life.

I feel bad writing this review as our guide was quite nice and pleasant, but the tour was a total bust. He had only been living in Japan for a few months. I wasn't going to hold that against him, except for the fact that we couldn't get ANY insight out of him whatsoever. We tried lots of open ended questions, but we could barely get him to expound on anything and it definitely wasn't a personality problem b/c he was friendly enough. I eventually gave up when he didn't even know what a machiya was (wooden homes all over Gion). In short, he had a poor fund of knowledge.

6  Thank nycchick01
Gareth J, Manager at Kyoto Urban Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

We're really sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience on this trip. We've taken your feedback on board and now have Kaz and Sebastian leading our Kyoto Urban Adventures and they're both fantastic local leaders with heaps of information and insights to ensure that we can deliver visitors to Kyoto a unique and insightful experience.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I just returned last night from 3 weeks in Japan and had to write this review immediately, because I was so impressed! This was hand's down the best guided tour I had in Japan (I took quite a few while I was there!).
Our guide Yumi was absolutely amazing! She was probably the best guide I have ever experienced on any trip anywhere (I have travelled extensively!) Yumi was so knowledgeable about Kyoto and Japan in general. Her English was flawless too, as she has travelled a lot and spent time extensive time in the US and Canada. She was also very personable and charming and made sure we were all enjoying ourselves! She gave us a thorough history and explanations about each site we visited, so we and was able to answer any questions. We saw about 8 (or more) Geisha's when we were in the Gion area! Yumi also extended our tour, due to the Geisha sightings, we didn't want to leave!
The only negative: It was only a half day tour - I would have loved to have spent a whole day touring with Yumi!
Directions to the meeting point were perfect and easy, even for someone who 'specializes' in getting lost!!
I really can't say enough good things about this tour and tour guide!! If you are lucky enough to visit Kyoto, don't miss this tour!
Thanks Yumi and Urban adventures for a memorable and wonderful half day in Kyoto!

1  Thank JWings