“"Thing X"”
Review of Haru Cooking Class

Haru Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 39 Food & Drink in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: Thank you very much for finding our small cooking class in Kyoto, Japan! Please come visit our home and cook Japanese food together! No need to be an expert cook. If you like Japanese food you will be successful cooking them. The class is not only about cooking, but learning about Japanese culture. We will do our best to answer all the questions you may have for food and lifestyle!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Thing X"”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My brother and I were lucky enough to attend Taro's Cooking class a few days ago and it was one of the best experiences and memories from our trip to Kyoto. If you are looking for an authentic Japanese cooking experience (which includes Kobe Beef!) then this is a must-do while in Kyoto. Taro and his wife are extremely kind and generously open their home to you. You will learn how to cook 4-5 Japanese dishes while meeting other travelers in addition to Taro's hilarious sense of humor. I can not speak more highly of this experience. Plus, if you're lucky, Taro may give you a parting gift called "Thing X". GO GO GO!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Paul R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best time in Kyoto. ”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Experience Japanese local life. Truly deserve #1 spot in Trip Advisor. This was definitely our high light in Kyoto. Learn about Kobe beef and local Japanese life. This easily beat any other activities and tourist spot. A must when u visit.

1 Thank Herman L
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great insight into Japanese food”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

A great insight into Japanese/Kyoto food for the whole family. We were newbies to cooking Japanese food but we learnt how to prepare and make Kobe beef and Miso soup. It was interesting to learn about the taste of umami and ingredients in Japanese cooking. Taro, Yoshiko and Haruko were all very friendly hosts and teachers. I would say that the cooking is more of a tutorial and not as hands-on approach for us but it was still highly informational and fun. Now we're all aspiring to make delicious Japanese dishes at home!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Olivia T
Sentosa Island, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must for beef lovers.”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I booked a class for four during my trip to kyoto, and it really did not disappoint. As i mentioned in the title, it is a must for beef lovers. Taro uses genuine kobe beef (it comes with a certificate that even tells you who the cow's grandparents were) and it was like nothing else i've ever tasted. trying to describe it in words will only do it injustice.

However, other than the good beef, Haru's cooking lessons were also very informative about Japanese cooking. The biggest draw of the class in my opinion, is the opportunity to have a home cooked meal in a typical Japanese home. This simply is something no restaurant can give you. the setting is extremely intimate, the class is kept to a small number of six, and dinner is eaten at Haru's own family dining table. To me, the whole experience of being invited so warmly into his home was as pleasing as the dinner itself.

a must do in Kyoto

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Raethan
Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun experience and a highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

After reading reviews on trip advisor, I decided to book this class for my boyfriend and I. I think my boyfriend was a little doubtful before going but came out thoroughly having enjoyed himself and intrigued by the true meaning of "wagyu" and learning how the certification of Kobe beef works. It was not as hands on as I had expected. More about learning how Japanese cooking works, seeing Taro demonstrating and us having a go at a few techniques which was fun. The meal we ended up having was delicious with a decent size serving of Kobe beef which was value for money considering how much a similar serving would cost at a restaurant! Just wished we were able to join the market experience too. What also made the experience enjoyable was that we were able to be in a suburban japanese house having dinner. Highly recommended if you can fit it in your Kyoto stay (we had 5 nights in Kyoto).

Visited November 2013