“Experience Kyoto from a local point of view” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Haru Cooking Class

Haru Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 32 Food & Drink in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: Thank you very much for finding our small cooking class in Kyoto, Japan! Please come visit our home and cook Japanese food together! No need to be an expert cook. If you like Japanese food you will be successful cooking them. The class is not only about cooking, but learning about Japanese culture. We will do our best to answer all the questions you may have for food and lifestyle!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Experience Kyoto from a local point of view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and I always try to look for things that give us a taste of the local life. Taro-san's class will definitely give you that. And, in my case, also educated me on Japanese food culture.

Our day started with a trip through Nishiki Market. It was awesome to have a local show us around and translate/explain things to us. One other person joined our market tour and he was a repeat customer (which speaks volumes to us). Having Taro explain various ingredients and food traditions to us was perfect. He was also able to translate my questions to the vendors. I would highly recommend this guided tour to everyone!

We then took a bus (and our purchases) to Taro-san's home in what I would describe as the suburbs of Kyoto. We met three other classmates and Taro-san's family. The class consisted of cooking miso soup, three sides, and a main dish. Taro-san is very generous when it comes to explaining and educating his class about ingredients. It was great to find out what Kobe beef really is.

The class is very hands-on but not intimidating. We all had a part in creating our meal for the afternoon. After cooking, we sat down to share a hearty meal. It was great to spend some time just talking about everyone's experience traveling through Japan and just meeting new folks. There was no rush to finish our meal and we felt very welcome and comfortable.

We had a wonderful time and would absolutely recommend Haru Cooking Class.

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Top of any Kyoto itinerary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

A fantastic afternoon/evening was spent with Taro and his lovely family. The cookery class is easy to find and the setting in Taro's home is wonderful. The class is friendly, informative and fun! The mix of hands on and spectating is great - everyone gets a go and most importantly you eat everything at the end! My husband is gluten free and Taro even had special soy sauce for him. The Kobe beef certification was really interesting and the Tofu dish I cooked was superb. A must.

Visited November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I really enjoyed the cooking class. Taro is a great teacher and is really passionate about Japanese food. He speaks perfect English. It was great to spend the afternoon with him and his family and to see his home. The food we cooked was delicious and easy to prepare. The class was a lot of fun - I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Kyoto, even if cooking isn't normally your thing.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“True Taste of Japan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just an amazing experience. I'm so happy that I took everyone else's advise and did the cooking class with my wife. We had a blast! Taro is an amazing teacher and his english is spot on. I've been back in Chicago for only a week and I've already used his recipes 3 times. The kobe beef was great...I just wish I had more of it. :-) My wife is a vegetarian and she loved the class as well. The tofu and mushroom dish is her number one meal now! Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get a true taste of Japan and Kyoto.

Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A true highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Taro and his family were amazing! We checked out the Nishiki Market and were able to ask Taro all the questions we wanted about the unique food before heading to his place to cook a delicious meal. It was hugely informative and a must do class for anyone wanting to gain real insight into Japanese cooking and homes.