“A room so cool you hardly feel like going to the temples.”
Review of Hotel Kanra Kyoto

Hotel Kanra Kyoto
Ranked #6 of 398 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Kanra is literally a temple of modern zen coolness. The bed was like 2 x the size of a king! The bath / shower is amazing. the living room area is cool and even the yamaha stereo to hook your phone / mp3 player up to is so cool. I literally didn't want to leave the room. It was so peaceful and chic. The area is a bit of a walk from the historic area but if you can walk or can ride bike (they offer free bikes), it's not a problem.

Room Tip: There is a 7/11 next store hotel so stock up on drinks and use the fridge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2013

After 3 days in Tokyo at the Hilton, Hotel Kanra was a delight. A perfectly peaceful place to explore Kyoto from. The hotel lobby, restaurant and rooms are beautifully designed.
Free electric bicycle rental for our 3 days in Kyoto were perfect for getting around to temples, parks and Gion.

The hotel staff were outstanding. Their restaurant recommendations took us to a nearby sushi restaurant that was delicious...a restaurant that Steve Jobs had visited and left his signature at. The recommended Tonkatsu restaurant was wonderful - the best tonkatsu we have ever had.
The hotel restaurant also served a great breakfast - the best Western breakfast experienced in our 3 weeks in Asia.

Loved our stay here and would absolutely recommend it to those who appreciate design details, wonderful staff and beautiful, comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: We loved our Deluxe room. A beautiful Japanese Cypress wooden tub, and separate shower stall.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel is a thing of beauty. It's new and modern.
It's location is handy to the station and close to a subway station but its about a 20-30 min walk to the major attractions of Kyoto - the temple area, the shopping street and Gion, the Geisha/nightlife quarter.
The staff are absolutely delightful. They could not do enough to be helpful.
We booked their standard room, called double, I believe. At 35sq.m., it sounded pretty large. However, there are so many cutesy design features, such as a large bathroom with deep wooden tub, shower stall, big vanity and the requisite wash 'em, dry 'em, send 'em on their way Toto toilet; there is a raised tatami alcove with writing desk; there is a long table running along the window with artistically placed moss. All of these leave very little useable space. There's almost no place to put your suitcase. There are no bedside tables and access to one side of the queen-sized bed is tight.
The bathroom is up two steps - not ideal for people of a certain age who may have occasion to use it in the night. It's dramatically lit which can make shaving a challenge. The aforementioned vanity is countersunk in a black stone counter. The base of the sink consists of two, foot square stone tiles. I found it a bit gross. Whatever went into the sink tended to linger for quite awhile. It was often challenging to wash it clean.
The next two room categories up - superior and deluxe, I believe, are large enough that the Zen design features don't compromise useable space. The bathroom is on the same level as the room - no stairs. The vanity has double faucets - twice the potential for lingering effluent. Unfortunately none of these rooms were available during our stay.
Their breakfast - western or Japanese - are beautifully presented and delicious.
I had a problem with their Wifi. My partner and I both have iPads which connected easily. I also have an iPhone 4S. After the first day, even though the iPhone showed connection (the four semicircular lines) I was unable to access the Internet. I took it down to the lobby, same prob. So, assuming it to be a defect with my device, I did a series of resets culminating in a complete deletion of all data. And it still wouldn't connect. I took it to an Apple repair centre and it connected just fine. Took it back to the hotel, same problem. The next day, my iPad did the same thing. It was rectifiable with a reset of network settings. I mentioned this to the front desk staff. I felt certain that there was something about their system. They weren't able to offer any help.
So, would I stay here again? Possibly. But in a larger room. I guess my first choice, location-wise, would be the Gion nightlife area. It's absolutely beautiful.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boundary
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We spent 5 nights at The Kanra. It is an exceptional property. Objectively I must give it 5 stars...subjectively 4.5 stars. The staff was without exception one of the best hotel teams that I have encountered. Service was flawless. The front desk gave terrific restaurant recommendations. Some might criticize the location but I don't think Kyoto has any ideally situated hotel. We were steps from the subway and bus routes and a short walk to the station and shopping areas. We had there smallest room category and it was ample but you must like "zen". The western breakfast was superb. I anxiously awaited breakfast even though the menu didn't change. There were two things about the room I didn't like. You couldn't view TV from bed and there were two steps up to the bathroom. I'm getting too old for steps in the dark. I have one suggestion. Offer some breakfast variations with the western breakfast. Don't change the quality though. The staff were ever so helpful and obliging and in my opinion the strength of this property.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John G
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was the best hotel we stayed in while in Japan. It is a nice boutique style hotel with beautiful equipped rooms on a good location. The hotel offers good bikes for rental and the staff is super friendly! We would recommend this place for anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank KarenLimpens
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were originally booked in to the Hyatt but I wanted to be a little closer to the central Sanjo-Kawaramachi area, so we moved to this hotel instead. They make impressive use of limited space in the rooms. Very clean, modern, bright. No views really from our room. Huge bed the equivalent of 2 queens, and then a generous tatami sitting area with flat-screen t.v. where you can also lay out futons at night to sleep several additional people. They charge by the person. Wooden sunken Japanese tub plus shower. The lobby area is very small--this is truly boutique--as is the dining area for breakfast. But it's all done very well. Breakfast was quite good--try the Japanese style. Having lived in this area for several years, I would not call this location central as it is still a 15-20 minute walk from the Sanjo-Kawaramachi shopping area. However, it is very close to the Gojo-Kawaramachi subway station. One of the largest temples in Kyoto/Japan, Higashi Honganji, is directly across the street. I do feel the location is better than the Hyatt. If you are looking for all the amenities of a huge hotel, this place is not for you. But if you are looking for very tasteful, more bespoke accommodations in Kyoto in a fairly quiet, decently convenient location, this place is great. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mae O
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This small boutique style hotel is only a 2 minute cab ride from the station, making it very accessible even with lots of cases. We arrived very early but, helpfully, our room was ready and waiting for us. The room was fantastic! We are a family of 4 and opted for a superior room. It was amazing! The biggest bed I've ever seen! A living area with low desk and seating, which transformed into a Japanese style sleeping area on tatami mats for the children at night. The kids slept very well on the floor! Lots of thoughtful extras...great selection of toiletries, kimonos, slippers. A wooden bathtub, fabulous walk in shower, separate toilet...perfect! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The only small area for improvement is that the restaurant/bar area closes very early so you can't have a nightcap, even at 9.45pm. It's a great location, a minutes walk from a subway station, 15 min stroll to the main station and central area. Absolutely loved Kyoto, one of the most beautiful places I've been, and the Kanra is a fantastic place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family